Check your account email address ×

Truck tire thread

• Platinum Contributing Member

I need to put new Tires on my 2018' Silverado 4x4. Looking for suggestions on what others have used in the past with good results. I drive a decent amount in a year, probably 25k + so I think that might rule out trying pure winter tires for the first time which is what I was originally thinking on doing with some Blizzaks. The stock tires are junk at 44k miles and slide all over in the rain let alone snow. Wrangler Fortitude HT's 265 65 18

It's a Z71 but that's just a skid plate and slightly better shocks so I'm not going the All Terrain TA route with this one. 

Michelins or BF Goodrich have been the longest lasting for me..Seems to be somewhat hard to find BF Goodrich AT in your size, my truck is sizes just like yours and yesterday I tried 4 places for them and they all said they don't stock them, so don't know for sure.

4 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

I need to put new Tires on my 2018' Silverado 4x4. Looking for suggestions on what others have used in the past with good results. I drive a decent amount in a year, probably 25k + so I think that might rule out trying pure winter tires for the first time which is what I was originally thinking on doing with some Blizzaks. The stock tires are junk at 44k miles and slide all over in the rain let alone snow. Wrangler Fortitude HT's 265 65 18

It's a Z71 but that's just a skid plate and slightly better shocks so I'm not going the All Terrain TA route with this one. 

Blizzaks are for winter alone.  You’ll eat them up in one summer.  I’ve had 5 or 6 sets of Duratracs and they have been great.  Think I’m gonna mix it up next time though.  May go back the BFG or try some Nitto Grapplers or some such.  

You know what they say, if you like the way something works....change it!  :lol:

• Thanks 1

Just now, XCR1250 said:

Michelins or BF Goodrich have been the longest lasting for me..Seems to be somewhat hard to find BF Goodrich AT in your size, my truck is sizes just like yours and yesterday I tried 4 places for them and they all said they don't stock them, so don't know for sure.

ARe they not stocking them because of price, but can have them the next day?

Put these cooper discoverer m + s tires on last year Before sled season. Price was right, work great in the snow, seem to be wearing well. About the only complaint is they are a bit noisy. 

6CD8D003-10A1-4AA4-93AF-FA246AB0DDEA.png

6 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

I have the same tires on my truck, they are the #1 worst tires I've ever seen for  traction, yesterday I spun out at least 6 times in 60 miles at speeds under the speed limit, roads looked salted and mostly only wet.

Just now, XCR1250 said:

I have the same tires on my truck, they are the #1 worst tires I've ever seen for  traction, yesterday I spun out at least 6 times in 60 miles at speeds under the speed limit, roads looked salted and mostly only wet.

the Goodyear Wrangler SRA's were even worse,  worst tire ever in the wet my dueler at's i had with 50k on my 07 were better than the 14 from the factory with SRA's

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Yeah they are shit if you ask me, Still some tread left but even in four wheel auto on wet roads I still get four wheel drift  :lol:  

3 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

ARe they not stocking them because of price, but can have them the next day?

I only checked on the BF's, Farm & Fleet said they didn't know whether they could even get them in that size, also said it would take more than1/2 hour to find out for sure, that was In Rice Lake, Wi.

4 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Put these cooper discoverer m + s tires on last year Before sled season. Price was right, work great in the snow, seem to be wearing well. About the only complaint is they are a bit noisy. 

6CD8D003-10A1-4AA4-93AF-FA246AB0DDEA.png

One thing I definitely don't want is a noisy tire. 

Just now, Skidooski said:

Yeah they are shit if you ask me, Still some tread left but even in four wheel auto on wet roads I still get four wheel drift  :lol:  

Mine have lots of tread left so it's the design for sure. I'm serious when I say this, last year I lost control on the truck on slush under 25 MPH in a little over a mile, wth, worst tires I've ever owned, they were on the truck new, but NEVER again for me, scary crap.

• Like 1

For an all season tire with long wear without any thoughts of getting snows, I'd go with a Michelin mud and snow. I also like Cooper tires but I am not 100% sure what a good long lasting M&S type tire they sell?

I currently have my original Good Years that came with my Ram that need replacing soon but since I already have dedicated snows, I will be looking mainly for a summer type/all season in the spring. Most likely I will be going with a Cooper something or other as I have had great luck with them and they are likely the cheapest $$$ of the good tire brands out there. 

1 minute ago, irv said:

For an all season tire with long wear without any thoughts of getting snows, I'd go with a Michelin mud and snow. I also like Cooper tires but I am not 100% sure what a good long lasting M&S type tire they sell?

I currently have my original Good Years that came with my Ram that need replacing soon but since I already have dedicated snows, I will be looking mainly for a summer type/all season in the spring. Most likely I will be going with a Cooper something or other as I have had great luck with them and they are likely the cheapest $$$ of the good tire brands out there. 

I've been wanting to try Cooper Discovery tires out on last couple trucks but replaced the truck before it really needed tires. The one @Angry ginger mentioned seem relatively inexpensive

Just now, Skidooski said:

I've been wanting to try Cooper Discovery tires out on last couple trucks but replaced the truck before it really needed tires. The one @Angry ginger mentioned seem relatively inexpensive

My dad, who is over 80 yrs old, and has likely tried more tires than anyone I know, being that age, and travelling all over this province and others due to his pipeline work for years purchased a set of Cooper's for his car 2 years ago and said they were the nicest, quietest and smoothest tire he has ever owned. I believe they are also Discovery's?

We have a local place that sells Cooper's and not a soul around can touch their prices due to the volume they sell. Most likely the place I will be using and Cooper's will most likely be the tire I choose as well.  

Can't say for snow tires but the Toyo's I've had on my 2500HD have been amazing.   This is my 3rd diesel and I never made more than 25K on a set of tires until these.   Went 55K and had some tread left.   Wet snow they are fair.   Dry/hard snow they are very good.   Not bad for road noise either for this aggressive of tire.   

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/rugged-terrain-open-country-rt

The A/T's might be the way to go.   The more micro cuts a tire has in the lugs the better it will be on the ice.

Edited by Highmark

1 minute ago, irv said:

My dad, who is over 80 yrs old, and has likely tried more tires than anyone I know, being that age, and travelling all over this province and others due to his pipeline work for years purchased a set of Cooper's for his car 2 years ago and said they were the nicest, quietest and smoothest tire he has ever owned. I believe they are also Discovery's?

We have a local place that sells Cooper's and not a soul around can touch their prices due to the volume they sell. Most likely the place I will be using and Cooper's will most likely be the tire I choose as well.  

Coopers are nice for the money but only set I owned 2 of them bulged and yes the tire pressure was correct.  

9 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Just ordered the BFG KO's $239.99 but was told there is a Black Friday sale which should save some $$'s.

I'm waiting until this Friday as well. The only time you'll see me out shopping on Black Friday :lol: 

• Haha 1