Check your account email address ×

Snowmobile USA show Michigan

jtssrx

• Platinum Contributing Member
29 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

No Cat or Yamaha booths, Zero representation. The show seems off without them there. The sport feels like it’s dying

Ours had a Yamaha booth, but no cat booth.

35 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

No Cat or Yamaha booths, Zero representation. The show seems off without them there. The sport feels like it’s dying

Sport isn't dying , people are just switching to SkiDoo and Polaris. 

Wouldn't be surprised if they're they only 2 left within the next 5 years or less. 

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I’m surprised that there’s still shows. The sport has simply become too expensive for the common guy. The price of sleds are obscene. 

It doesn't cost anymore to get into sledding than it ever has.  It's just the range of upper options that are expensive.  It's all about priorities.  If you still have high T and enjoy motorsports, it's relatively cheap to get and stay in it vs. anything else.

If you have low-T and tin ears, well....APC jerk fest concerts are more your thing!  :bc:

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

It doesn't cost anymore to get into sledding than it ever has.  It's just the range of upper options that are expensive.  It's all about priorities.  If you still have high T and enjoy motorsports, it's relatively cheap to get and stay in it vs. anything else.

If you have low-T and tin ears, well....APC jerk fest concerts are more your thing!  :bc:

It’s dying. Fewer get into it every year. There’s going to be no resurgence of the sport. 

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Spot on 

Traffic was down a bit during the last recession but bounced back nicely. I see a lot of older sleds out there with guys having fun on them. Don’t need to be rich to be a sledder.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Edmo said:

Traffic was down a bit during the last recession but bounced back nicely. I see a lot of older sleds out there with guys having fun on them. Don’t need to be rich to be a sledder.

My first new sled was a Yami Phazer in 86.  I think it was around 6-7K.  Now, 6-7 get's you a base model that is MUCH, MUCH better in every way than my upgraded sled back then.  Jesus....$6-7k will get you a nice, relatively low mileage top end performance sled now.

But..."it's too expensive'.  Look, just say you don't enjoy sledding anymore.  Don't make up lies.  Tool bags.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

I’m surprised that there’s still shows. The sport has simply become too expensive for the common guy. The price of sleds are obscene. 

the sled price isn't toooooo obscene, but the 125-150  per ride is. 45 mins in truck (fuel), full day in mtns,(fuel). and in the deep they just gull back the premium

1 hour ago, mtnloverxtreme2 said:

the sled price isn't toooooo obscene, but the 125-150  per ride is. 45 mins in truck (fuel), full day in mtns,(fuel). and in the deep they just gull back the premium

If a person lives in the snow belt it’s not too bad. But taking time off work, gas for the vehicle, lodging, food, repairs.... it’s too much for the average guy. I stopped trail riding almost completely and picked up boondocking and off trail for a few reasons. Trail and lake riding was boring. Because of my work, it was mandatory that I schedule time off at least three months ahead. Good snow was always questionable. But Wyoming, Idaho, or Montana always had good snow. 

Edited by spin_dry

Anybody that equates riding snowmobiles to being a man is a dumbfuck. The same applies to those that insist the sport isn't losing numbers...the numbers don't lie but carry on with the idiocy.

Article is a couple years old but the it show what is happening..it is what it is. Throw in the fact most clubs can't find volunteers as the older members leave and the problem gets worse.

https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/stories/snowmobile-sales-rebound-but-less-snow-fewer-riders-slow-recovery,1454

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Anybody that equates riding snowmobiles to being a man is a dumbfuck. The same applies to those that insist the sport isn't losing numbers...the numbers don't lie but carry on with the idiocy.

Article is a couple years old but the it show what is happening..it is what it is. Throw in the fact most clubs can't find volunteers as the older members leave and the problem gets worse.

https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/stories/snowmobile-sales-rebound-but-less-snow-fewer-riders-slow-recovery,1454

More Pouty butt-hurt noted.  Also, we all recognize that you are after Spinners affection.  It's ok.  Just ask him out.  Do you like gay music?

:lol: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

It’s dying. Fewer get into it every year. There’s going to be no resurgence of the sport. 

Yep. I know alot of sledders who are spending their money on new side x sides and boats because the seasons are longer. I like sledding so I am going to keep doing it but I definitely see some off road sport machines in my future

Just now, Anler said:

Yep. I know alot of sledders who are spending their money on new side x sides and boats because the seasons are longer. I like sledding so I am going to keep doing it but I definitely see some off road sport machines in my future

The sport is on a path to a slow death.  But it's not because of the cost of sleds.  Its about the weather and entitled kids choosing to do nothing if they can't have the $14,000 sled to do it.

7 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

The sport is on a path to a slow death.  But it's not because of the cost of sleds.  Its about the weather and entitled kids choosing to do nothing if they can't have the $14,000 sled to do it.

:lol:

12 minutes ago, Anler said:

Last weekend I was up at the family lake home in price county. I couldn’t believe the amount of side x sides. The area really caters to them. Some of those rigs are pretty cool. 

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

It's the cost of everything going up. I remember buying a sled or jet ski or motorcycle whatever back in the 80's and 90's financing was 3 years and like 20%. Now you can finance shit for 7 years under 5%. And that's what they have to do to sell stuff. Then figure in gear and a trailer and a $60k rig...

2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Last weekend I was up at the family lake home in price county. I couldn’t believe the amount of side x sides. The area really caters to them. Some of those rigs are pretty cool. 

Loaded side by sides blow away sleds in price. There goes your it’s too expensive to buy a sled narrative. 

Snacks is right, the data doesn’t lie. Many factors in why sledding numbers are down. Personally I like it, more room for the rest of us. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bussman said:

Loaded side by sides blow away sleds in price. There goes your it’s too expensive to buy a sled narrative. 

Snacks is right, the data doesn’t lie. Many factors in why sledding numbers are down. Personally I like it, more room for the rest of us. 

Side x sides can be used almost year round. In the winter a guy could load em up and haul to Moab. So that makes it a year round expenditure.

Just now, Anler said:

It's the cost of everything going up. I remember buying a sled or jet ski or motorcycle whatever back in the 80's and 90's financing was 3 years and like 20%. Now you can finance shit for 7 years under 5%. And that's what they have to do to sell stuff. Then figure in gear and a trailer and a $60k rig...

This is stupid.  A 1000 trailer and a 3-5k sled is all one needs to get out there.  Like anything, like it's always been...one has to prioritize their lifestyle.  If sledding isn't a priority, it means you don't enjoy it.  If it's the "cost", it just means you don't enjoy it enought to justify the cost...or, you think you need a $14,000 sled and a $60k rig to do it.

Just now, bussman said:

Like we didn't know he was gonna shoot himself in the foot here.

You know, almost everyone I've know that gave up sledding over the years complained about the cost.  I don't know what they say just don't admit they didn't enjoy it anymore.  I gave up golf because I just didn't enjoy it like I used to and it was an ASS LOAD more expensive than sledding.

People are weird.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bussman said:

Another factor with Side by Sides is that there is alot more time to use them and they aren’t dependent on weather. Even without data and articles I can tell the numbers are down just by simple observation...dealers closing, trails closing and simply  seeing less sleds around during the winter.