Check your account email address ×

Tonsil/Adenoid Removal

• Platinum Contributing Member

My 19 year old daughter has been having trouble the last few years with her tonsils to the point that she went and saw and ENT doc about having them removed...she had talked to a few friends that had them removed and they said the recovery was excruciating and the doc didn't sugar coat it and said it would be excruciating for two weeks even on painkillers. Needless to say she is all flipped out about it and I was wondering if anybody has experience with this...either themselves or a family member. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Apparently it's much worse when you're older.

Now that you mention that, I remember my niece having it done at like 17 and it was bad. Gotta do what you gotta do I guess. 

5 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Now that you mention that, I remember my niece having it done at like 17 and it was bad. Gotta do what you gotta do I guess. 

Yep...we are weighing the pros and cons.

2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I had that done when I was 10, aside from not being able to talk and a nasty sore throat for about a week I don't remember it being excruciating. 

Likely younger but I don't remember it being too bad actually.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Apparently it's much worse when you're older.

I've heard that as well. Time to weigh the pros and cons but I'd say she should get it down now. No use/benefit in prolonging it further. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anler said:

I had my tonsils taken out in my 30's. Was the absolute worst experience ever. I didn't eat food for 5 days. 

That's what she has  read and heard.

15 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

That's what she has  read and heard.

I'm not going to lie jimmy, it was horrible. But like all things you get thru it. I talked to a couple other people who were around my age when they had it done and all had the same experience.

I guess alot of doctors don't like doing that procedure on adults. I went thru 5 before I found one who would take them out. Fuck I had tonsillitis for over 3 months straight I was losing my mind begging someone to take them out.