Check your account email address ×

1978 33’ carver boat.

I went to look at the boat on Tuesday with a friend. I couldn’t believe how good of condition it was in. 500 hours on twin Chevy 350’s and they ran exceptional. The woodwork and craftsmanship is outstanding. All the plumbing was intact and everything electrical worked. The boat is being pulled out of the water today so he can have an inspection completed. Only $7300. He can opt to extend the slip rental for another 3 years. It’s kind of got me thinking. Might be fun to have something like this. I was surprised how cheap the city charges for slip rental and winter storage. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, spin_dry said:

I went to look at the boat on Tuesday with a friend. I couldn’t believe how good of condition it was in. 500 hours on twin Chevy 350’s and they ran exceptional. The woodwork and craftsmanship is outstanding. All the plumbing was intact and everything electrical worked. The boat is being pulled out of the water today so he can have an inspection completed. Only $7300. He can opt to extend the slip rental for another 3 years. It’s kind of got me thinking. Might be fun to have something like this. I was surprised how cheap the city charges for slip rental and winter storage. 

Pics?? 

Just now, spin_dry said:

I’ll see if he can send me some. 

I just like to check stuff out, especially if it has a motor let alone two!! haha..  Dont go thru a hassle on my part..

they are fun for a bit . cant tell you how much extra time and money  i have to do things i like to do now that i dont have a big boat to fuck with all the time .

was so fucking happy when the chriscraft left my dock for good and I knew it was my last big boat .

a lot of my buds are starting to dump there pigs now also .

but if you have not owned one you should grab one it will be fun for a few yrs . especaly if you ate keeping it on the river . but spend some real money up fr 7500 you are buying old shit if you don't know how to wrench you will be spending that every season in repairs .

I will say this was always my fav time of year for boating put up the canvas turn on the heat zero trafic zero cops no lines at the docks for fuel or waiting for a dock at the bar  fall color 

Edited by Ez ryder

10 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I just like to check stuff out, especially if it has a motor let alone two!! haha..  Dont go thru a hassle on my part..

like motors lol saw this 70s gem a bit back I want to drive it real bad lol 

20190705_163327.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

they are fun for a bit . cant tell you how much extra time and money  i have to do things i like to do now that i dont have a big boat to fuck with all the time .

was so fucking happy when the chriscraft left my dock for good and I knew it was my last big boat .

a lot of my buds are starting to dump there pigs now also .

but if you have not owned one you should grab one it will be fun for a few yrs . especaly if you ate keeping it on the river . but spend some real money up fr 7500 you are buying old shit if you don't know how to wrench you will be spending that every season in repairs 

I’m just kinda thinking out loud. I’ve bought enough shit over this last year. I do enjoy seeing the outstanding craftsmanship on the boat. It’s good to see something this old in such good shape. So much stuff is treat poorly and it’s roached within a short span of time.

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

I’m just kinda thinking out loud. I’ve bought enough shit over this last year. I do enjoy seeing the outstanding craftsmanship on the boat. It’s good to see something this old in such good shape. So much stuff is treat poorly and it’s roached within a short span of time.

My BIL had a 32 carver that was a great boat. Spent many fun weekends out on Lake Michigan. Very comfortable boat. 

Not to be negative but Carvers are pretty much balsa wood and a bit of fiberglass skin. Kinda like the AMC Gremlin of boats. If its low hours and in good shape (not wet) it's an ok deal for fun. I'd run myself but thats just me. I'd look for a Four Winns Vista or something along those line for an entry boat.

Or you could dig into you retirement and live on something like this.

6381761_20170927235947879_1_XLARGE.jpg

• Like 1

• Gold Member
43 minutes ago, s pump said:

Not to be negative but Carvers are pretty much balsa wood and a bit of fiberglass skin. Kinda like the AMC Gremlin of boats. If its low hours and in good shape (not wet) it's an ok deal for fun. I'd run myself but thats just me. I'd look for a Four Winns Vista or something along those line for an entry boat.

I didn't wanna say anything but since you did... I think Spin is the only person I have ever heard describe a Carver with the phrase "excellent craftsmanship"  :lol:

10 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

I didn't wanna say anything but since you did... I think Spin is the only person I have ever heard describe a Carver with the phrase "excellent craftsmanship"  :lol:

I don’t know shit about boats. Apparently the previous owner updated the entire interior. 10 years ago. The hull also had some damage which was repaired. It sure looked nice. 

57 minutes ago, s pump said:

No boat for me. I was actually surprised how cheap slip and storage fees are. I always thought owning a larger boat was super expensive. 

6 hours ago, spin_dry said:

No boat for me. I was actually surprised how cheap slip and storage fees are. I always thought owning a larger boat was super expensive. 

Owning it is cheap. Using it is expensive.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, spin_dry said:

depend on your view of cheep .

lake Minnetonka slip at a marina for the season starts around 4g for a 26footer indoor on the rack can be had for around 3 g

if you live in certain neighborhoods in certain city's you can get a dock for under 400 . most have a 8yr waiting list . if you live in a house with a Conan dock dead no list and I pay about 300 with no list.  but I can not lease it out . if i dont use some one in my hood with no dead gets first dibs for that season.

st Croix marinas around say bayport so Sunnyside.  you buy a slip starting now days north of 30g and still pay association fees north of 3 g a yr .

rent one 5g and up 

property tax on one of 2 body's of h20 listed above if you live on it north of 15g a yr for a 1/2 ass house.

and yeah I have a bud who 2 seasons back had to replace the whole back/ transom  of of his 80s carver completely hollow fully rotted 

Slip fees on East Coast are getting a bit silly. Total cost of owning a boat makes snowmobiling seem like a deal. Bout $8k for 40 foot plus a few grand in fuel, insurance, repairs etc. I'm working on getting a bit bigger boat so we can spend the summer on it like a beach house.

37 minutes ago, s pump said:

Slip fees on East Coast are getting a bit silly. Total cost of owning a boat makes snowmobiling seem like a deal. Bout $8k for 40 foot plus a few grand in fuel, insurance, repairs etc. I'm working on getting a bit bigger boat so we can spend the summer on it like a beach house.

then come up here and buy mine

2 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Do people need slips cause the boats are too large to trailer to a lake or Ocean?

trailering sucks,  being able to pull up hop on your boat and go is the only way to fly,  after i sold the camp i kept the jet skis after a summer and a half with no real use i dumped them.  i keep thinking about a boat but think I am going to do it down south,  heading down in November to look at a few waterfront places.  rent it most of the time for now but once i downsize this house which is hopefully coming soon spend some more time there and pick up a 24+- footer to park out front.  

On 10/11/2019 at 9:38 AM, Ez ryder said:

20190705_163334.jpg

I've never seen a high performance blown/supercharged boat with an outdrive before. My gut tells me that unit, unless severely modified/beefed up, wouldn't be able to handle much HP other than what it was originally designed for? V drives and jet drives, yes, but not an outdrive. Are performance parts available for them?

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

trailering sucks,  being able to pull up hop on your boat and go is the only way to fly,  after i sold the camp i kept the jet skis after a summer and a half with no real use i dumped them.  i keep thinking about a boat but think I am going to do it down south,  heading down in November to look at a few waterfront places.  rent it most of the time for now but once i downsize this house which is hopefully coming soon spend some more time there and pick up a 24+- footer to park out front.  

You need something bigger. I'll give you a smoking deal on my ocean and even deliver it to Florida for you.

20190515_165845.jpg