Check your account email address ×

Riddle me this divorcees.

racer254

7 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Yes, my buddy was paying a little over 1200 a month for 2 children.  She was remarried, had her own business, and her new spouse worked as well, but the only income that mattered was what she reported on her taxes as her income.

You’re still howling at the moon over someone else’s angst? Damn. 

36 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

It sounds like you are divorced or separated?  I think that makes a difference in how you view parenting.  It’s all psychological fodder but, having the “guaranteed” time for yourself probably makes a difference.  We’ve stayed married and I spent far less than 50% of my time with my child her first 10-12 years.  I was always gone but, every spare moment I had was with her and much of what I did was for her. It was a really tough and exhausting balance sometimes.

You daughter couldn’t wait for you to leave. Gives her ears a rest. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, frenchy said:

I got separated like 6 years ago. About 18 months ago a registered letter gets delivered. I open it up and it's my divorce papers. Didn't even have to pay a dime for them :lol: 

A guy I worked with was separated from his wife like 4 years, no kids no property,  hadn't seen her at all in those years, she called him and said I want a divorce, he said who is this? She went absolutely nuts on him.

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Yes, my buddy was paying a little over 1200 a month for 2 children.  She was remarried, had her own business, and her new spouse worked as well, but the only income that mattered was what she reported on her taxes as her income.

Ouch.  I just ran the numbers and it came out to a flat $259,200 if you had to do that for 18 years.  Now say you invested the same payments in the market every month, for 18 years at 12% annual return, you'd have $899,131.  At least he'll be fulfilled :)   

30 minutes ago, racer254 said:

yes thats how it works.  $1200 aint bad.  

8 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

Ouch.  I just ran the numbers and it came out to a flat $259,200 if you had to do that for 18 years.  Now say you invested the same payments in the market every month, for 18 years at 12% annual return, you'd have $899,131.  At least he'll be fulfilled :)   

Now you have an investment tool that gives you close to 100K/yr.  Basically shattering most DB pensions.

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

Now you have an investment tool that gives you close to 100K/yr.  Basically shattering most DB pensions.

I trust the math.  Whether or not one actually achieves sustained 12% annual return is another matter of course. 

1 minute ago, XC.Morrison said:

I trust the math.  Whether or not one actually achieves sustained 12% annual return is another matter of course. 

12% is tuff, but 8-10% is what I would actually target.  Its exactly what my private equity portfolio is delivering and will do so even if the markets tank.:bc:

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

12% is tuff, but 8-10% is what I would actually target.  Its exactly what my private equity portfolio is delivering and will do so even if the markets tank.:bc:

Yes, agreed.  I just punched the numbers in on Dave Ramsey's site real quick:

899.131.jpg

17 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Really, 1200, plus variable expenses, plus HC, while 50/50 custody?  What were you paying? 

the formula is meant to ensure the children can live a life they were accustomed to pre-divorce at both dwellings.

Not the children's fault the parents can no longer live as a single unit so whoever earns more bears the brunt of ensuring the children don't suffer when not with him/her.

31 minutes ago, frenchy said:

the formula is meant to ensure the children can live a life they were accustomed to pre-divorce at both dwellings.

Not the children's fault the parents can no longer live as a single unit so whoever earns more bears the brunt of ensuring the children don't suffer when not with him/her.

I understand the concept.  But this would also depend on if the household has more $$$ coming in, not just the income of the ex spouse don't you think?  Just a reason I brought up the application for assistance.  One formula bases it off household income, the other off strictly ex-spouse income. 

Edited by racer254

8 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I spoke for a living.  I like things quiet at home.  

What did you do? Walk into a hall filled with people and start talking. Everyone went into a trance and you had the joker’s team of crooks pick their pockets while they were unconscious?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Really, 1200, plus variable expenses, plus HC, while 50/50 custody?  What were you paying? 

I started paying in 1984. I remember it was  $650 month at that time. It remained at 16% of my gross through 2000. I also paid her health insurance. My ex and I  swapped the deduction year to year. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

What did you do? Walk into a hall filled with people and start talking. Everyone went into a trance and you had the joker’s team of crooks pick their pockets while they were unconscious?

Not exactly.  My personality is magnetic and my voice is hypnotic.  They just gave me their money.

Related image

23 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

my ex sure wasn't happy about it LOL:bc:

A friend’s wife was an exec. Caught him in their bed with the neighbor’s wife and divorced him. No she’s paying him bigly. Cracks me up. 

• Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I just don't understand why some don't want kids.

A buddy of mine and his wife decided not to have kids. They both retired at 47. 

• Gold Member
7 hours ago, frenchy said:

And when the child support stops usually the household has to adjust the standard of living without the support coming in.

• Thanks 1