Check your account email address ×

Dynotech Research dyno's the new Cat 800

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, hayward said:

to try and fool the computer maybe into getting past timing retard mode? 

I don't know, i'm just asking?

Yes.  My question is why not at least vary the RPM up to WOT some.   

12 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Yes.  My question is why not at least vary the RPM up to WOT some.   

My guess is they weren't trying to "break in " the motor at all itself, but just get past the computer timing thing.  It's gotta be a bitch when you're trying to dyno sleds on an even basis, but you have different scenarios with different sleds as far as computer timing differences right out of the crate and all.  I can't see how it's a fair playing field.  Ride the damn things on snow for a season and then dyno em for accuracy would be my thinking.  Wouldn't do any good though trying to sell new first year sleds I guess.  :lol:

4 minutes ago, hayward said:

My guess is they weren't trying to "break in " the motor at all itself, but just get past the computer timing thing.  It's gotta be a bitch when you're trying to dyno sleds on an even basis, but you have different scenarios with different sleds as far as computer timing differences right out of the crate and all.  I can't see how it's a fair playing field.  Ride the damn things on snow for a season and then dyno em for accuracy would be my thinking.  Wouldn't do any good though trying to sell new first year sleds I guess.  :lol:

Correct on the mode but old school always says breaking in motors at too constant of RPM is not good.   I would never jack a sled up and just let it run at one RPM for more than a few minutes.   They really should have detailed more on what they did.  

17 minutes ago, hayward said:

That's probably a more than fair guess.  That's why these things always dyno better mid year.  We'll see.  But still, dynoing 15 hp better?  Maybe one in ten.  Still, from what I've been reading on it, it sounds like this will certainly at least be in the "160 class."

10 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Correct on the mode but old school always says breaking in motors at too constant of RPM is not good.   I would never jack a sled up and just let it run at one RPM for more than a few minutes.   They really should have detailed more on what they did.  

Astonishing to see just how many people don't know how to break a motor in properly.  They don't wanna hurt it!  :lol:

53 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

This is going to kill Cats mountain segment where hp maters. Not sure about their trail sleds? It will just be a over priced 600 I guess?

they don;t care,  they already sold every sled they were making for this year,  beauty of not floorplanning dealers 2020's that they bought.  

12 minutes ago, Highmark said:

X2, both my 800 etecs I had I broke in with a 1 mile easy run around the lake then WOT pulls back and forth until it hit 10 miles, then usually trail ridden after that. Both made it over 10,000 miles with original internals and both ran pretty competitive with other 800s even with me being a pretty big dude.

Also I'm a firm believer that Tylor Buttcocks is just trolling for the sake of trolling, that's his MO to a tee! :snack:

I think all 3 800's are pretty close and I think both 850's will be 4-10 HP stronger like has typically shown.   Sleds of the same model can dyno 3-5 hp different.   Just the way its always been.   

That being said a well clutched/set up sled will give sleds 10 hp more fits all day long.  So many factors go into racing your buddies on the lake.   From traction to weight of the rider.   I for one am looking forward to riding a sled with the new cat engine.   Disappointed the one guy in our group who I figured would have one ordered a 850 poo.  

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I think all 3 800's are pretty close and I think both 850's will be 4-10 HP stronger like has typically shown.   Sleds of the same model can dyno 3-5 hp different.   Just the way its always been.   

That being said a well clutched/set up sled will give sleds 10 hp more fits all day long.  So many factors go into racing your buddies on the lake.   From traction to weight of the rider.   I for one am looking forward to riding a sled with the new cat engine.   Disappointed the one guy in our group who I figured would have one ordered a 850 poo.  

The 850 doo makes around 8-9? More hp than the 2019 ctec 800 at bikeman. Even if the new cat is only 5-6 more hp the difference is basically nothing 

Just now, Rapid Anus said:

Etec 800 was 163 at bikeman new 2019 alpha hit 164 same dyno oops 

10EF73DF-3DA0-4D47-9C81-F875DC2909DF.png

1 hp on a performance company that loves Cat.   Ok.  :lol:  

Like I said they all are close.  :bc:

Just now, Highmark said:

1 hp on a performance company that loves Cat.   Ok.  :lol:  

Like I said they all are close.  :bc:

I said more on the same dyno. 1 hp is more!

ive heard from many that the 2019 cat is noticeably quicker than the 17-18 so I dunno. Old forge shootoot shows it too 

10 minutes ago, Highmark said:

The Polaris sleds with the scaffold have a better holeshot than any other sled I've seen

8 minutes ago, Rapid Anus said:

Curve ball I’m a doo guy!

Makes sense now.  :lol:  

Edited by Highmark

2 hours ago, Highmark said:

Always heard that too.

The surface finish left behind from the finish hone leaves just enough grittiness to finish hone the rings to the bore.

A keystone ring utilizes the pressure from the cylinder to force the ring into the cylinder bore to seal the ring to the bore.

The surface finish wears off after a certain amount of running time. You want to maximize the ring hone while the cylinder has this initial surface finish.

To do this you need to have max cylinder pressure, to get this you need to be WFO to press the rings into the cylinder.

Running the sled at idle for 5 hours to time out the break in mode basically killed the cylinder finish to hone the rings. They will still bed in but it will take a long time.

Same issue with good synthetic oil, ring seating will take longer than with dino oil.

1 hour ago, Roosting said:

The surface finish left behind from the finish hone leaves just enough grittiness to finish hone the rings to the bore.

A keystone ring utilizes the pressure from the cylinder to force the ring into the cylinder bore to seal the ring to the bore.

The surface finish wears off after a certain amount of running time. You want to maximize the ring hone while the cylinder has this initial surface finish.

To do this you need to have max cylinder pressure, to get this you need to be WFO to press the rings into the cylinder.

Running the sled at idle for 5 hours to time out the break in mode basically killed the cylinder finish to hone the rings. They will still bed in but it will take a long time.

Same issue with good synthetic oil, ring seating will take longer than with dino oil.

Who said it was run at idle?

14 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Who said it was run at idle?

It says on a stand. That means not under load. Impossible to break a motor in correctly on a stand. It could be broken in on a dyno but not on a stand.