Check your account email address ×

Contrary to Global Warming Predictions, Great Lakes Water Levels Now at Record Highs

Contrary to Global Warming Predictions, Great Lakes Water Levels Now at Record Highs

charles the moderator / 3 days ago 

From Dr. Roy Spencer’s blog

June 27th, 2019 by Roy W. Spencer, Ph. D.

It is a truism that any observed change in nature will be blamed by some experts on global warming (aka “climate change”, “climate crisis”, “climate emergency”).

When the Great Lakes water levels were unusually low from approximately 2000 through 2012 or so, this was pointed to as evidence that global warming was causing the Great Lakes to dry up.

Take for example this 2012 article from National Geographic, which was accompanied by this startling photo:

JJC_6941_wide-768x583-550x418.jpg

The accompanying text called this the “lake bottom”, as if Lake Michigan (which averages 279 feet deep) had somehow dried up.

Then in a matter of two years, low lake levels were replaced with high lake levels. The cause (analysis here) was a combination of unusually high precipitation (contrary to global warming theory) and an unusually cold winter that caused the lakes to mostly freeze over, reducing evaporation.

Now, as of this month (June, 2019), ALL of the Great Lakes have reached record high levels.

Time To Change The Story

So, how shall global warming alarmists explain this observational defiance of their predictions?

Simple! They just invoke “climate weirding”, and claim that the climate emergency has caused water levels to become more erratic, to see-saw, to become more variable!

The trouble is that there is that there is no good evidence in the last 100 years that this is happening. This plot of the four major lake systems (Huron and Michigan are at the same level, connected at the Straits of Mackinac) shows no increased variability since levels have been accurately monitored (data from NOAA Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory):

GLERL-lake-water-levels-2-550x413

This is just one more example of how unscientific many global warming claims have become. Both weather and climate are nonlinear dynamical systems, capable of producing changes without any ‘forcing’ from increasing CO2 or the Sun. Change is normal.

What is abnormal is blaming every change in nature we don’t like on human activities. That’s what happened in medieval times, when witches were blamed for storms, droughts, etc.

One would hope we progressed beyond that mentality.

9 hours ago, Anler said:

They are going way down this summer...

No they are still rising at the moment 

of course the local news asked the question last night is this caused by climate change. Such dishonest reporting with zero investigating. They would know that the climate change twats claimed the low levels from 10 years ago were being caused by climate change 

Edited by jtssrx

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

No they are still rising at the moment 

of course the local news asked the question last night is this caused by climate change. Such dishonest reporting with zero investigating. They would know that the climate change twats claimed the low levels from 10 years ago were being caused by climate change 

Show me where the local news hurt you. 

• Platinum Contributing Member

I’m only 51 and I’ve heard dire predictions on both ends of the spectrum...Great lakes are drying up and now we are going to all drown...it’s cyclical and nothing can or should be done. 

• Thanks 1

All this flooding, especially along the Ottawa and St. Lawrance Rivers, is being caused by the new employee fucktards that have zero experience trying to control water levels. It,s pretty fuking simple. Before the spring melt hits, open the fukking gates at ALL the dams and get the water levels to the lowest possible safe limits for shipping. They know how much fukking snow fell during the winter, and how that is going to affect the water levels, and yes, we do get some additional rain in the spring, which raises the level as well. We have had the once in a lifetime flooding along the St. Lawrance and Ottawa rivers now twice in 3 fukking years. 

It appears that there are zero employees left that had many years of experience controlling these water levels, using common sense, and lots of knowledge. As usual, none of the new so called experts have the balls to admit the fukked up, so naturally, the blame it on global warming, which means they don,t have to take any responsability for fukking up many peoples lives, that live along the rivers. 

13 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

All this flooding, especially along the Ottawa and St. Lawrance Rivers, is being caused by the new employee fucktards that have zero experience trying to control water levels. It,s pretty fuking simple. Before the spring melt hits, open the fukking gates at ALL the dams and get the water levels to the lowest possible safe limits for shipping. They know how much fukking snow fell during the winter, and how that is going to affect the water levels, and yes, we do get some additional rain in the spring, which raises the level as well. We have had the once in a lifetime flooding along the St. Lawrance and Ottawa rivers now twice in 3 fukking years. 

It appears that there are zero employees left that had many years of experience controlling these water levels, using common sense, and lots of knowledge. As usual, none of the new so called experts have the balls to admit the fukked up, so naturally, the blame it on global warming, which means they don,t have to take any responsability for fukking up many peoples lives, that live along the rivers. 

It's sadly that way in a lot of places. I have seen it at my work where well experienced bosses have retired and not once did any of the new employees/bosses shadow the guys leaving to gain some of that knowledge/experience before they walked out the door.

Some of these new bosses are so arrogant they can't be told/taught anything. It's like they know everything and the old boys knew nothing. I am not sure when it is all going to come to a head where I work but it is coming, mark my words. :sad:

3 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I’m only 51 and I’ve heard dire predictions on both ends of the spectrum...Great lakes are drying up and now we are going to all drown...it’s cyclical and nothing can or should be done. 

Yup 

15 minutes ago, irv said:

It's sadly that way in a lot of places. I have seen it at my work where well experienced bosses have retired and not once did any of the new employees/bosses shadow the guys leaving to gain some of that knowledge/experience before they walked out the door.

Some of these new bosses are so arrogant they can't be told/taught anything. It's like they know everything and the old boys knew nothing. I am not sure when it is all going to come to a head where I work but it is coming, mark my words. :sad:

When I retired in 2016 my replacements shadowed me for 6 months.  Since then I've had to return every summer and try to fix all the shit they continue to screw up.  Hahahah

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

It's mostly due to the IJC Plan 2014 which controls the level of Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence seaway to keep canookistan from flooding along the seaway and now it's causing major flooding on the southern shore of Lake Ontario

59 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

lots of dams on the upper Ottawa are automated now by OPG with no human oversite at all, within the last 5 years. No coincidence we've had 2 "100 year" floods in the last 3 years though. And then Trudeau the dumb-fuck stands on the banks of the River at his photo op and places the blame 100% on climate change. No shame.

41 minutes ago, frenchy said:

lots of dams on the upper Ottawa are automated now by OPG with no human oversite at all, within the last 5 years. No coincidence we've had 2 "100 year" floods in the last 3 years though. And then Trudeau the dumb-fuck stands on the banks of the River at his photo op and places the blame 100% on climate change. No shame.

Trudeau is not very bright as you know. 

clim3.jpg

1 hour ago, frenchy said:

And then the CBC pushes the climate apocalypse bullshit