Check your account email address ×

Thoughts on Bernie offering to pay off student loan debt

On 6/24/2019 at 9:45 PM, AKIQPilot said:

Absolutely. The majority of my young friends are in the trades. Its feast or famine  some times but they all make a good living and have lots of fun. 

They are all saving for retirement. 

It's the nature of the beast, but I'll never forget the words one of my foremen told me when I was an apprentice: "in this business all you have to do is make a contractor money and you will always have a job, now you might have some stretches where you're only working three or four day a week, but there will always be a demand for the producers"

On 6/25/2019 at 6:55 AM, Highmark said:

In most cases the trades are the easiest way to start your own business.

In my small town we have ZERO plumbing contractors right now.   The guy who just retired couldn't find anyone local to buy his business.   He was very successful always staying small.

I would imagine it's a real bitch in rural America finding kids to get in the trades as white kids just are not interested in getting dirty, now in urban areas we're fortunate that we have black and hispanic kids who want to make money and are not concerned about doing jobs which are either, hot, heavy, cold, dirty, or some combination of that if not all of it at one time.

One of many things I would hear from older tradesmen when I was an apprentice was; "there's no fuckin way my kid is becoming an electrician, my kids going to college so he doesn't have to do this bullshit" my comment was always how the fuck can you beat a job that pays you to go to school, you get a raise every 6 months while learning and you make great coin with great bennies............ I thought it was great when my middle son signed up for his apprenticeship, and when he passed his first year training he like me he went to work for another contractor for seven years and made a name for himself outside of "dads" company, now he's making me money running field operations, someday him and his brother who went to college for business and runs the money side of the business will buy me out, I think I'm pretty fuckin lucky :bc: 

52 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I would imagine it's a real bitch in rural America finding kids to get in the trades as white kids just are not interested in getting dirty, now in urban areas we're fortunate that we have black and hispanic kids who want to make money and are not concerned about doing jobs which are either, hot, heavy, cold, dirty, or some combination of that if not all of it at one time.

:bc: 

I don't know where you are at, but rural kids around my area are the ones that want to work.  I know of at least 3 around my area that graduated last year, decided to forgo college, and all have jobs that require a CDL and all doing well for themselves.  They were taught to have great work ethic though.

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 hours ago, racer254 said:

I don't know where you are at, but rural kids around my area are the ones that want to work.  I know of at least 3 around my area that graduated last year, decided to forgo college, and all have jobs that require a CDL and all doing well for themselves.  They were taught to have great work ethic though.

Yep good ones are farming or want zero school so they work in factories or other types of construction.  

7 hours ago, revkevsdi said:

University is around $9,000.00 per year.  They knock 30% off if your house hold income is below 150 grand. 

That's because nobody wants to go there.   I can't think of but a few Canadian colleges.   

15 minutes ago, Highmark said:

That's because nobody wants to go there.   I can't think of but a few Canadian colleges.   

Tons of those hosers down here going to school at UMD (U of M-Duluth).  

19 minutes ago, Highmark said:

That's an ignorant thing to say. 

45 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I guess that settles it then. If you haven’t heard of them, they can’t be any good. 

Didn’t your schooling system have rich kids bribing their way in and paying people to write their tests?  

Isn’t George Bush a Harvard Graduate?

The big tech firms regularly recruit from Waterloo. 

11 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

I guess that settles it then. If you haven’t heard of them, they can’t be any good. 

Didn’t your schooling system have rich kids bribing their way in and paying people to write their tests?  

Isn’t George Bush a Harvard Graduate?

The big tech firms regularly recruit from Waterloo. 

None of that changes the fact we have 100's if not 1000's of more desirable colleges than Canada.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Highmark said:

Yep good ones are farming or want zero school so they work in factories or other types of construction.  

This bullshit narrative about no one wanting the jobs or doing the jobs without illegal immigrants is a far from the truth

26 minutes ago, Highmark said:

None of that changes the fact we have 100's if not 1000's of more desirable colleges than Canada.  

What is it with your country and all of these lies? 100's if not 1000's?  Trump made it ok to bullshit 24/7 I guess.  Granted you have the top ranked universities in the world.  But don't pretend that it helps anything but the 1% in earnings or intelligence.  The average Canadian has access to better secondary education than the average American.  

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

That's not true. And you can't name many because there really aren't that many.

Our company had the department head of Waterloo's engineering department in for an R&D project we are working on. They are basically Canada's biggest/best engineering school. He shared some data from his school's program.

2018 numbers: 98.7% program employment rate. 

Average starting salary in Canada: $123,000

Average starting salary in the US: $172,000

15 minutes ago, racer254 said:

This bullshit narrative about no one wanting the jobs or doing the jobs without illegal immigrants is a far from the truth

Really...do you see lines of American workers lined up to pick fruit and vegetables? Around here landscaping, construction, restaraunts, ect...can’t find anybody to work.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Really...do you see lines of American workers lined up to pick fruit and vegetables? Around here landscaping, construction, restaraunts, ect...can’t find anybody to work.

Can't find anyone to work?  Sounds like the government assistance programs are doing exactly what every common sense person knew they would.  Work ethic is pathetic in some places.   It really is funny how it is playing out.  The government regulations and programs are doing exactly what the swamp wants and they have now convinced many that people DON'T want to work.  Well, it's not that they don't WANT to, it's that they don't HAVE to.  To compound this, the regulations/insurance/osha have made it less problematic to hire independent contractors instead of employees.

Edited by racer254