Check your account email address ×

High academic recognition in schools

• Platinum Contributing Member

Get rid of it! It will save our kids from all the stress and anxiety that comes along with being a kid in high school and better prepare them for the competition of the real world. Overall class rankings and the grading scale are next of the chopping block.

No more Valedictorians!!!!111

Edited by Skidooski

1 minute ago, s pump said:

Just busting, I thought it was pretty funny.

It was funny as hell and I have in no way taken any of this seriously. :bc: 

I was kinda surprised my son’s class had no valedictorian. I think success should be rewarded. But I guess we wouldn’t want to offend anyone!!!!!1 

36 minutes ago, Edmo said:

I was kinda surprised my son’s class had no valedictorian. I think success should be rewarded. But I guess we wouldn’t want to offend anyone!!!!!1 

My daughter graduated last year from Boyne City and they had a Valedictorian and Salutorian plus the other kids in the top ten wore a gold sash...I enjoyed the the speeches made by the top two graduates. 

25 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

My daughter graduated last year from Boyne City and they had a Valedictorian and Salutorian plus the other kids in the top ten wore a gold sash...I enjoyed the the speeches made by the top two graduates. 

Those days are coming to an end it seems. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Edmo said:

Problem with that award is taking into consideration difficulty of classes taken.  

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Problem with that award is taking into consideration difficulty of classes taken.  

I think AP classes are given more credit.  :dunno:

Just now, Cold War said:

Make every kid valedictorian!     

And star athletes!  Letter jackets and Valedictorian stoles for everyone!!!!!!

Just now, Zambroski said:

Right...the high honors kids in my daughters class didn’t take easy classes just to get a 4.0...High level and a lot of AP classes. Impressive group of students. :thumbsup:

Probably but my neighbor who has been teaching for 30+ years still thinks its not equal.  

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Right...the high honors kids in my daughters class didn’t take easy classes just to get a 4.0...High level and a lot of AP classes. Impressive group of students. :thumbsup:

I don’t remember how it works but, I think my daughters AP classes earned more credit towards academic honors.  That’s how it should work.

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yikes, Letter jackets.  No! nope!!!!  Too offensive.

I don’t remember how it works but, I think my daughters AP classes earned more credit towards academic honors.  That’s how it should work.

I agree. :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Probably but my neighbor who has been teaching for 30+ years still thinks its not equal.  

He thinks that “honors” should be the same for basic core classes vs. AP classes?

6 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

He thinks that “honors” should be the same for basic core classes vs. AP classes?

No, she just thinks even inside those rankings some classes are much tougher than others and other variables that make it difficult to have a clear top of class student.

Let's face it some students just take much more difficult schedules.

Same could be said for class rank.   I don't think they take into account curriculum difficulty in those.  Probably why ACT/SAT is looked at so strongly by colleges.  

I really could care less if a school has that award or not but I see the point on some students taking much tougher classes.   

Edited by Highmark

2 hours ago, Edmo said:

Our high school puts a strong emphasis on achievement and college placement. Also puts a strong emphasis on parent involvement and transparency. :dunno:

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

No, she just thinks even inside those rankings some classes are much tougher than others and other variables that make it difficult to have a clear top of class student.

Let's face it some students just take much more difficult schedules.

Same could be said for class rank.   I don't think they take into account curriculum difficulty in those.  Probably why ACT/SAT is looked at so strongly by colleges.  

I really could care less if a school has that award or not but I see the point on some students taking much tougher classes.   

I can see some of that argument for sure.  But, I also feel competition for success awards should be maintained.  It pushes the ones wanting to excel to greater levels.  It'd be fine if they spread the wealth a bit over a few students I guess.  I'm just not real aware of how it is all calculated.  I was no where near needing to figure out that in school.   :lol:

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I can see some of that argument for sure.  But, I also feel competition for success awards should be maintained.  It pushes the ones wanting to excel to greater levels.  It'd be fine if they spread the wealth a bit over a few students I guess.  I'm just not real aware of how it is all calculated.  I was no where near needing to figure out that in school.   :lol:

I agree with awarding success on an equal playing field.  :bc:

Reminds me of the left who think women should get equal pay for doing less desirable jobs.  :lol:  

Edited by Highmark