Check your account email address ×

Top Sanders adviser embezzled union funds in 2008

Chuck Rocha

Chuck Rocha. Screenshot from Twitter.

A senior adviser to Sen. Bernie Sanders and a member of the negotiating team that recently drafted his presidential campaign’s staff union contract was convicted in 2013 of embezzling funds from a steel workers union.

On Wednesday, the Sanders’ campaign announced it had reached an agreement on its historic union contract with United Food & Commercial Workers (UFCW) Local 400.

Following the announcement, Charles Rocha, a senior adviser who helped orchestrate the agreement, announced on Twitter he was “proud to have been on the negotiating committee” that worked on the contract for Sanders’ campaign staff.

Rocha, who also worked for Sanders in 2016, was convicted six years ago for embezzling money from the United Steelworkers Union when he served as political director.

In 2013, Rocha was sentenced to two years probation and to pay a $2,000 fine for embezzling United Steelworkers Union funds. Before pleading guilty to the embezzlement charge and being sentenced, Rocha had already been ordered to pay $12,449 back to the union, according to the U.S. Department of Labor.

Rocha illegally used union money to buy $400 in Stanley Cup finals tickets. He also paid thousands of dollars for golf trips in South Carolina and Florida between the end of 2008 and midway through 2009, according to court documents.

VTDigger is underwritten by:

Rocha did not return requests for comment.

Jeff Weaver, a senior adviser for Sanders, told VTDigger that Rocha had paid the price for his misdeeds and that he is a valued part of the campaign.

“Chuck Rocha made a mistake earlier in life and served his probation and paid his fine. He has since established a successful business that has served as a pipeline for young people of color into the world of politics,” Weaver said.

Weaver went on to say that by reporting on Rocha, who is Latino, and his criminal conviction, VTDigger was helping to uphold systemic racism.

“Sadly, like too many others in our society, the Vermont Digger wants to brand people like Chuck Rocha for life — an attitude that disproportionately impacts black and brown people and poor people,” Weaver said. “This is just another way systemic racism works. It’s disappointing that VTDigger is helping to uphold it.”

Rocha’s criminal history received little media attention while he worked for Sanders’ ill-fated 2016 challenge to former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

In reaction to a 2016 report in Politico, Weaver, who was Sanders’ campaign manager at the time, said he had no issue with Rocha’s behavior.

“It’s not politically sensitive at all,” Weaver told Politico. “I’m not politically afraid of this story at all. Please, I’m asking you to print.”

Both the UFCW Local 400 and the United Steelworkers Union would not comment on Rocha’s role in the Sanders campaign or on the union contract negotiations.

Rocha, who rejoined the Sanders team in February, is also the president of Solidarity Strategies, a political consulting firm that has been paid $71,750 by the campaign for event planning this year, according to the most recent campaign finance filings.

https://vtdigger.org/2019/05/09/top-sanders-advisor-embezzled-union-funds-2008/

The union leadership is living large off the backs of hard working folks. Expensive golf trips, Stanley cup tickets, etc. That sounds like a familiar story (UAW). It’s no wonder people hate unions these days.

17 minutes ago, Edmo said:

The union leadership is living large off the backs of hard working folks. Expensive golf trips, Stanley cup tickets, etc. That sounds like a familiar story (UAW). It’s no wonder people hate unions these days.

Not sure why members of the unions  haven’t quite figured this out completely yet.  But, you can see it fracturing.  Our mining districts are slowly going red.  Imagine, being in the mining industry and voting Dem?  LOL!  Imbeciles.  Our district went red for the first time in 30 years in the last congressional election.  Waking up!

21 minutes ago, Edmo said:

yup,  hard to believe any of these unions or members would see allies in any of these D candidates

Wonder what is going on there. :lol: 

1 minute ago, Cold War said:

yup,  hard to believe any of these unions or members would see allies in any of these D candidates

Wonder what is going on there. :lol: 

They’re in bed together. My uncle was a UAW exec for years. He was on a first name basis with all the elected D officials. Carl and Sander Levin would show up for family parties.

I could tell some stories that would get these union guys heads to fly off. It’s not pretty.

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

4F3642E0-31B9-445E-BDAA-106CF5062528.gif

Nahhhhhhhh.   Couldn’t be that.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Edmo said:

They’re in bed together. My uncle was a UAW exec for years. He was on a first name basis with all the elected D officials. Carl and Sander Levin would show up for family parties.

I could tell some stories that would get these union guys heads to fly off. It’s not pretty.

Yeah, I had a couple of buddies that for years,  you said anything bad about the union , you were heading outside to throw down.  Like calling their mother a whore. 

Both of them are off the die hard union mantra.  Final straw was when the head of union stole their pension to build lake house ........ with non union workers!!!!  😂

35 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Nahhhhhhhh.   Couldn’t be that.  :lol:

Yeah, I had a couple of buddies that for years,  you said anything bad about the union , you were heading outside to throw down.  Like calling their mother a whore. 

Both of them are off the die hard union mantra.  Final straw was when the head of union stole their pension to build lake house ........ with non union workers!!!!  😂

Do you know why they used non union labor on that house?

The union quote on that house was too high!!!!

:lmao: 

If you have never been to their resort on black lake you should check it out if you’re in that area - it’s spectacular. I just never understood how they can justify it. They always said that it’s paid for off interest from the yuge strike fund. Seems like a stretch to me.

20 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Do you know why they used non union labor on that house?

The union quote on that house was too high!!!!

:lmao: 

If you have never been to their resort on black lake you should check it out if you’re in that area - it’s spectacular. I just never understood how they can justify it. They always said that it’s paid for off interest from the yuge strike fund. Seems like a stretch to me.

Yup,  local private company would sneak over and work through the night.

Public sector unions are still strong.  The teachers union is unshakable. Still a strong force in Michigan, able to sway elections.  

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, racer254 said:

But we had to bail GM out because of LABOR costs.  Or so that was the excuse and many seemed to fall for it.

GM Should have been left to fail along with the banks. They fleeced the taxpayers on that shit!

• Like 2

Rocha illegally used union money to buy $400 in Stanley Cup finals tickets. He also paid thousands of dollars for golf trips in South Carolina and Florida between the end of 2008 and midway through 2009, according to court documents.

its the golf that always pisses of Republicans. 

They hate it when Dems spend money on golf.  

1 hour ago, revkevsdi said:

Rocha illegally used union money to buy $400 in Stanley Cup finals tickets. He also paid thousands of dollars for golf trips in South Carolina and Florida between the end of 2008 and midway through 2009, according to court documents.

DERP DERP DERP DERP DERP DERP !!!!!!1111 

2 hours ago, revkevsdi said:

Libtards love golf and travel on the taxpayers money when it’s liberals. 

12 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Not sure why members of the unions  haven’t quite figured this out completely yet.  But, you can see it fracturing.  Our mining districts are slowly going red.  Imagine, being in the mining industry and voting Dem?  LOL!  Imbeciles.  Our district went red for the first time in 30 years in the last congressional election.  Waking up!

That's because your a fucking idiot

• Platinum Contributing Member
17 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Either of those coming from you are inconsequential though....so, what am I supposed to do?  Kill myself?

:lol:

IMG_4757.GIF.72c93d4a28d8011de9593f1ab566b17a.GIF

45 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Either of those coming from you are inconsequential though....so, what am I supposed to do?  Kill myself?

:lol:

That will be fine