Check your account email address ×

Latest dyno run at dynotech of the Thundercat

27 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

Billy Howard took a thundercat to dynotech. First to runs are bone stock with two different types of fuel the second two are with a speed works muffler and two different types of fuel

IMG_0022.PNG

IMG_0023.PNG

IMG_0024.PNG

IMG_0025.PNG

IMG_0026.PNG

Those are some pretty good numbers...

7 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Why inflate stock baseline numbers then? I'd this a 200hp stock machine or not?

To make outragous modded #s with just a pipe more believable.

3 minutes ago, Anler said:

Those are some pretty good numbers...

Whew....I gotta agree.  I'm not a go-fast straight liner but this has to make those people happy.  I think the big question is whether or not this Yamaha will be able to hold up to the aftermarket mods that the Zuke did.  If it can...it's a win.  If not....epic fail.  I don't know anybody anywhere (internet or real) that bought a Cat turbo and didn't start adding mods right away.

Time will tell.

Edited by Zambroski

14 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Whew....I gotta agree.  I'm not a go-fast straight liner but this has to make those people happy.  I think the big question is whether or not this Yamaha will be able to hold up to the aftermarket mods that the Zuke did.  If it can...it's a win.  If not....epic fail.  I don't know anybody anywhere (internet or real) that bought a Cat turbo and didn't start adding mods right away.

Time will tell.

It looks like there is going to be a power war among the manus going forward and people are gonna get made dead on those things... Can you imagine trail riding a 300hp sled? Fucking nuts!

Just now, Anler said:

It looks like there is going to be a power war among the manus going forward and people are gonna get made dead on those things... Can you imagine trail riding a 300hp sled? Fucking nuts!

Honestly, I can't.  For the trails I ride, my 150 or so is just about too much.  I'm looking to downgrade.  I think the only ones looking for these are the lake, rail bed, and trail superhighway riders.  I personally never got the thrill of going fast straight.  But...there's a market.  Cat has hung their hat on that market for some time.  And I don't see anyone catching them.

Just now, Zambroski said:

Honestly, I can't.  For the trails I ride, my 150 or so is just about too much.  I'm looking to downgrade.  I think the only ones looking for these are the lake, rail bed, and trail superhighway riders.  I personally never got the thrill of going fast straight.  But...there's a market.  Cat has hung their hat on that market for some time.  And I don't see anyone catching them.

Yup that 9% market share is huge...

Billy Howard is a pretty solid guy, and he knows his stuff. I would believe the numbers he's throwing around. All the go fast stuff I got from him flat out worked as advertised.

13 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

:dunno:

Obviously that market isnt enough for polaris or ski doo to give the time of day to.....skidoo has had a 4stroke that has huge power when a turbo is added and dont give it the time of day....I forsee lots of initial hooplah then typical issues will dog the sleds and people wont be able to give them away again....

Edited by Dave

12 minutes ago, Dave said:

Obviously that market isnt enough for polaris or ski doo to give the time of day to.....skidoo has had a 4stroke that has huge power when a turbo is added and dont give it the time of day....I forsee lots of initial hooplah then typical issues will dog the sleds and people wont be able to give them away again....

So you are talking about the turbo market then?  Well, it's where Cat excels though...performance on the track.  It's where there niche is.  It's why they succeed there...IT MEANS EVERYTHING TO THEM.  And I don't know if they will have problems like they did in 2012 again.  I think that's all good and has been for some time.  Now if that Yammi doesn't hold together...OFDA.  I don't know.  High HP toys of any nature are gonna break.  It's the price those people that buy them should know.  If they don't understand that, they shouldn't be trying to go fast.  it's why the 800 is kind of the tip of the market between performance and reliability.  And even for some manus it's not been a great model.

• Platinum Contributing Member

So high HP four stroke sleds will not be popular then? 

Anyone still ride high HP four stroke bikes on crowded streets? Any 2 strokes left in that market?

I hope the horse power wars come back to sleds like they have in the new muscle cars! :bc: 

22 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

So you are talking about the turbo market then?  Well, it's where Cat excels though...performance on the track.  It's where there niche is.  It's why they succeed there...IT MEANS EVERYTHING TO THEM.  And I don't know if they will have problems like they did in 2012 again.  I think that's all good and has been for some time.  Now if that Yammi doesn't hold together...OFDA.  I don't know.  High HP toys of any nature are gonna break.  It's the price those people that buy them should know.  If they don't understand that, they shouldn't be trying to go fast.  it's why the 800 is kind of the tip of the market between performance and reliability.  And even for some manus it's not been a great model.

The masses dont care about racing anymore....Cat should learn to make a reliable sled before anything....its this that has hounded their sales for yrs.

2 minutes ago, Dave said:

The masses dont care about racing anymore....Cat should learn to make a reliable sled before anything....its this that has hounded their sales for yrs.

Cat's have had solid reliable sleds for years.  Where are you seeing failures?  The 12's and 13's had clutch alignment issues on their new platform but other than that, what?  DO i need to remind you of the Doo issues from both the Rev and Xp platforms in their first few years?  Don't forget, I'm a "doo guy" too.

And Cat has an immense following from the racer's and racer wannabe's.  It's a large part of what drive's their sales.  Where do you think Cat would be in sales if they started losing on the track?

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Cat's have had solid reliable sleds for years.  Where are you seeing failures?  The 12's and 13's had clutch alignment issues on their new platform but other than that, what?  DO i need to remind you of the Doo issues from both the Rev and Xp platforms in their first few years?  Don't forget, I'm a "doo guy" too.

And Cat has an immense following from the racer's and racer wannabe's.  It's a large part of what drive's their sales.  Where do you think Cat would be in sales if they started losing on the track?

Your 1st sentence is hilarious.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Dave said:

To make outragous modded #s with just a pipe more believable.

Wouldn't you downplay stock numbers?

6 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Thank you.  I aim to please.  But, the second sentence may have escaped you.  Or, you don't know?  Don't be one of "those guys".  :lol:

Last yr the cat that was with us had overheating issues one trip and belt issues the next trip.....no one else had issues.....any trip i usually go on its cats that breakdown...hell even on the hcs trip a few yrs back....2 cats in our group...both brokedown....i honestly dont know anyone of my mountain riding buddies that has a cat anymore.

Edited by Dave

Just now, Dave said:

Last yr the cat that was with us had overheating issues one trip and belt issues the next trip.....no one else had issues.....any trip i usually go on its cats that breakdown...hell even on the hcs trip a few yrs back....2 cats in our group...both brokedown....i honestly dont know anyone of my mountain riding that has a cat anymore.

Well, it happens.  I've towed Cat and polaris with my doo.  And had my doo towed by a Cat.  Stories like these vary all over the place.

4 minutes ago, Dave said:

Last yr the cat that was with us had overheating issues one trip and belt issues the next trip.....no one else had issues.....any trip i usually go on its cats that breakdown...hell even on the hcs trip a few yrs back....2 cats in our group...both brokedown....i honestly dont know anyone of my mountain riding buddies that has a cat anymore.

I don't know a low snow group ride we did years back before I bought my cat, both the newer Cats and Doos seriously overheated.  The owners comments, not enough snow.  Lol.  None of the older sleds had issues so we kinda chuckled.  Always laugh when picking up my sled from storage and there are a couple of loyal Doo owners talking about their rebuild at 3K.  Lol.

My Cat gives a warning when it starts to get hot not getting enough lube and I though it was a bit annoying, scratchers work wonders,  my Poos do not give a warning even though they get dangerously hot.  I'll take the Cats early warning system.