Check your account email address ×

Traffic lesson for today

What do I do when encountering an onramp on the freeway?

We get traffic complaints from people saying drivers on the freeway don't yield to them when they are entering from an onramp and we frequently have to correct this misunderstanding of the law. So how does this work?

The RED car is entering a freeway from a side street. If you are driving that RED car, you have the following responsibilities;

1. Use the long onramp and acceleration lane to ACCELERATE to freeway speeds. If you try to enter the freeway at much slower speeds, you will do nothing but cause a problem.
2. USE your left turn signal. Remember, a signal doesn't automatically give you the right to change lanes. You have to do so safely. DO NOT cut across all lanes to the left lane.
3. You do NOT have the right of way. Plan accordingly and begin making your plan as you start onto the ramp, not when you reach the end.
4. If you still run out of space and haven't merged, pull over to the shoulder and wait for traffic to clear, then speed up on the shoulder and merge. DO NOT try to force your way on the freeway. (if you follow #3 and plan ahead, this won't happen)

The GREEN car is already on the freeway, driving in the #2 lane. If you are driving the GREEN car, you have the following responsibilities;

1. MAINTAIN your speed so the red car can plan for you.
2. You may change lanes to the #1 lane if safe to avoid the situation or you may slow down to allow the red car to merge in front of you.

If you are in the #1 lane, DO NOT change lanes into the #2 while vehicles are merging. Wait until they have merged, then you may change lanes for a future exit.

Courtesy is underrated and infrequent. We could use a bit more of it out there.

Drive to arrive!

mergeonramp.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Most people don't understand what an acceleration or deceleration lane is. Prolly don't even realize it's there.

Yep. I see it everyday on my way to and on my way home from work 

Whoa, whoa whoa!!  Educating poor drivers is taking food out of my family's mouths!!!  ;)

All kidding aside, it constantly amazes (saddens?) me that so few people understand how to enter and exit freeways....

All I know is that it's the makings of a great day if can launch onto I-80 at 100+ mph, only thing is better is if I can put the car in a four wheel drift on the off ramp on the way home, these moments are rare but when they happen you know that there is a god :thumb:

• Haha 1

Not sure if it is due to people being more rude or more cars on the road than ever before, but anytime there is a merge or lane closure, the traffic comes to dead stop now. frustrating as hell waiting in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour only to see a lane is closed.

All I know is any trucker cruising in the middle lane should be executed. Any trucker even thinking about using the left lane should be executed in front of his family. There is a reason Euro highways are so safe and fast... It’s fucking illegal for trucks to do so. Also, they get the concept of each lane being a different speed. Some old fuck in the left lane thinking it’s their right to do 68 in a 70 makes me want to pit maneuver them into oncoming traffic. That and passing on the right. So stupid. Also, illegal to do in Europe. 

Edited by xtralettucetomatoe580

1 hour ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

All I know is any trucker cruising in the middle lane should be executed. Any trucker even thinking about using the left lane should be executed in front of his family. There is a reason Euro highways are so safe and fast... It’s fucking illegal for trucks to do so. Also, they get the concept of each lane being a different speed. Some old fuck in the left lane thinking it’s their right to do 68 in a 70 makes me want to pit maneuver them into oncoming traffic. That and passing on the right. So stupid. Also, illegal to do in Europe. 

I'm going to go out on a limb here... You've never driven a truck. Come ride with me day after day, and I'll ride in the middle lane day after day. It's the safest spot for me, my cargo (gasoline) and allows me to arrive home safely to my family every day. The road is how I earn a living, respect what I do, and I'll respect others back who can respect that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

well passing on the right should not have to happen if it wasn't for the jackasses i out in lane 3 in their 65 mph 18 wheelers,  or lane 4 in their prius and subaru's.  the truckers have gotten terrible now that we have fly through left lanes at the toll booth,  they move over to lane 3 and 4 and clog up traffic 2-3 miles before the toll and stay there 2-3 miles after.

1 hour ago, Dieselgeek said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here... You've never driven a truck. Come ride with me day after day, and I'll ride in the middle lane day after day. It's the safest spot for me, my cargo (gasoline) and allows me to arrive home safely to my family every day. The road is how I earn a living, respect what I do, and I'll respect others back who can respect that. 

I have been in a truck... The safest space for everyone (Not just you) is when you’re in the right lane unless passing a slower vehicle. End of story. There is a flow to traffic that semis in the middle or left lane absolutely fuck up. Lol at you being in the right lane isn’t safe and you won’t get home to your family. Get real. You like the middle lane because it’s easier for you. 

59 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

well passing on the right should not have to happen if it wasn't for the jackasses i out in lane 3 in their 65 mph 18 wheelers,  or lane 4 in their prius and subaru's.  the truckers have gotten terrible now that we have fly through left lanes at the toll booth,  they move over to lane 3 and 4 and clog up traffic 2-3 miles before the toll and stay there 2-3 miles after.

According to this dude above, it’s for their “safety” lol... 

I haul diesel.  I use #2 lane exclusively unless I have to pass . What I hate is merging onto highway after a clover leaf. Sometimes you dont have enough lane to speed up and merge and slowing down is useless cause 50 percent of people wont let you in. I usually force my way In lol. Fuckin idiots . If there were long enough merging lanes here it would ok. But as soon as you come up around the clover leaf, you have have 50 ft of lane to merge or stop cause you're aboot to smash the bridge guardrail 

I sometimes stream YouTube when I’m running on the trainer. Those road rage videos usually have one thing in common. Two assholes who can’t drive. So many dicks with cameras try to create issues so they have something to upload. 

In North America we think we own the road and act accordingly. A little courtesy and defensive driving goes a long way. 

• Platinum Contributing Member

So fucking hard for people to move their steering wheel slightly to the left to allow merging traffic in.   One of my biggest pet peeves in driving is people not moving over to the left lane when its unoccupied.  

8 hours ago, Highmark said:

So fucking hard for people to move their steering wheel slightly to the left to allow merging traffic in.   One of my biggest pet peeves in driving is people not moving over to the left lane when its unoccupied.  

Zzzzzactly. But it makes for good YouTube when you cut someone off and think you are in the right.  

20 hours ago, Highmark said:

Agreed. Taught both mu kids that right away. Wife doesn't have a clue I lost my shit a few weeks back over that when her indecision almost caused an accident. 

Edited by Angry ginger

10 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Agreed. Taught both mu kids that right away. Wife doesn't have a clue I lost my shit a few weeks back over that when her decision almost caused and accident. 

I agree that it's common courtesy to do so, but merging traffic does not have the right of way. Already being in traffic, your wife has the right of way. Explain how she would have been responsible for causing an accident? If anything, the merging vehicle would have been responsible for causing an accident.

30 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

I agree that it's common courtesy to do so, but merging traffic does not have the right of way. Already being in traffic, your wife has the right of way. Explain how she would have been responsible for causing an accident? If anything, the merging vehicle would have been responsible for causing an accident.

She could not make a decision then instead of holding speed moved over almost clipping a car. Had she moved over earlier or just held her speed it would have been a non issue. I'd rather drive with either of my kids behind the wheel than the wife