Check your account email address ×

Its deer season time.

• Platinum Contributing Member

I'll start hunting in a week or so.   Got a couple decent shooters on cam but nothing huge yet like the last couple years.

One group I shotgun hunt with gets together before the season and everyone brings a buck or two they have had mounted over the years.   Not too shabby of group of bucks.   Keep in mind this is quite a few hunters over decades of hunting bow, shotgun and muzzy.  

20160924_122535_resized_1.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I'll start hunting in a week or so.   Got a couple decent shooters on cam but nothing huge yet like the last couple years.

One group I shotgun hunt with gets together before the season and everyone brings a buck or two they have had mounted over the years.   Not too shabby of group of bucks.   Keep in mind this is quite a few hunters over decades of hunting bow, shotgun and muzzy.  

20160924_122535_resized_1.jpg

Damn, at first I thought you were going to say that was your lifetime kills :lol::bc: 

• Gold Member

Not sure what Im looking forward to more, all the pictures of hot girls killing shit or all the hilariously stupid comments by the anti-hunting crowd.

EDIT: Or shooting a bunch of ducks. :bc:

Edited by Kivalo

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Big boys are starting to move around. 

WGI_0100.JPG

PICT0016.JPG

Any of the EHD out your way? It's really bad here. Friend of mine has found dozens of deer dead on their land. 

2 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Any of the EHD out your way? It's really bad here. Friend of mine has found dozens of deer dead on their land. 

2-3 years ago it was really bad.   I've heard of some reports around Iowa but nothing like then.   Me and most my neighbors have been fortunate enough to escape with little to no losses.   Not many ponds around me which seems to be the real breeding ground of the midges that spread it.   Were you dry this summer?   That typically makes it worse as more of the mud bed that the midges breed/hatch in are exposed.  Also less competition from Mosquitoes as they need the water for breeding/hatching. 

Edited by Highmark

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

2-3 years ago it was really bad.   I've heard of some reports around Iowa but nothing like then.   Me and most my neighbors have been fortunate enough to escape with little to no losses.   Not many ponds around me which seems to be the real breeding ground of the midges that spread it.   Were you dry this summer?   That typically makes it worse as more of the mud bed that the midges breed/hatch in are exposed.  Also less competition from Mosquitoes as they need the water for breeding/hatching. 

Yes, it's definitely dry where I'm talking about, around Mitchell, SD. 

Just now, SSFB said:

Yes, it's definitely dry where I'm talking about, around Mitchell, SD. 

Recipe for trouble.

Do quite a bit of pheasant hunting up near Redfield.   Lost our private ground hunting a few years ago though so we aren't making the trip this year.   The places that force you into big groups and don't allow you to use your own dogs suck.  

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Recipe for trouble.

Do quite a bit of pheasant hunting up near Redfield.   Lost our private ground hunting a few years ago though so we aren't making the trip this year.   The places that force you into big groups and don't allow you to use your own dogs suck.  

That sucks, the pheasant hunting has really become too commercialized and cookie cutter. We've been seeing less and less average Joe's ever year from other states since in the economy tanked. 

3 minutes ago, SSFB said:

That sucks, the pheasant hunting has really become too commercialized and cookie cutter. We've been seeing less and less average Joe's ever year from other states since in the economy tanked. 

We had a old farmer that we hunted his ground.   He had about 2500 acres of which I'd say around 2300 was habitat and the rest food plots.   Wasn't cheap ($75 per gun per day) but it was some awesome hunting.  Most days a group of 4-6 would shoot their limit in under a couple hours.  He sold when corn was sky high and the buyer plowed under everything that wasn't cropped.   He even was willing to buyout the CRP contracts paying the govt for the 5-8 years the property was in the program.  Considering where corn is now I wonder how that worked out.  

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

We had a old farmer that we hunted his ground.   He had about 2500 acres of which I'd say around 2300 was habitat and the rest food plots.   Wasn't cheap ($75 per gun per day) but it was some awesome hunting.  Most days a group of 4-6 would shoot their limit in under a couple hours.  He sold when corn was sky high and the buyer plowed under everything that wasn't cropped.   He even was willing to buyout the CRP contracts paying the govt for the 5-8 years the property was in the program.  Considering where corn is now I wonder how that worked out.  

Wow, couldn't have worked out well. :lol:

3 hours ago, xcr700 said:

I just back from hunting.  It was a blast 

download (73).jpg

:lmao:What is it with Wisconsonites fucking dead deer.  

Edited by Highmark

• 4 weeks later...