Check your account email address ×

Why The Patriarchy Lies About Reproductive Health: And No, New York Is Not Killing Babies

Why The Patriarchy Lies About Reproductive Health: And No, New York Is Not Killing Babies

Did the state of New York last week adopt a law that would allow a woman to get a late-term abortion, right up to a baby’s due date?

No. That is not what happened.

So why does the internet want you to think it is? The short answer is simple: patriarchy. The long answer, of course–like patriarchy itself–is complicated.

Here is what Article 25A, also known as the Reproductive Health Act, is really about. In short, it updates an outdated law. It protects doctors from criminal prosecution in the event that they have to to perform a late-term abortion in order to save the life of the mother. Yes, there may be some gray area surrounding what “life-threatening” might really mean. But who do we want making those decisions? A physician in the moment? Or a legislator with a hypothetical on paper? If we truly believe doctors are going to work every day just looking for an excuse to abort a full-term baby, then civilization, we have got some bigger questions to be asking ourselves.

But let’s run on the assumption that doctors go to work every day with the goal of preserving life, whenever possible. These are the kinds of laws that separate us from the developing world … the laws that make America different from countries in the Middle East and Central America, where life is both dangerous and terrifying for women. These laws let physicians make the best choices they can, in the moment, for the well-being of their patients–both the mother and the unborn baby. These laws also protect women who are already having to make impossible choices from having to also worry about going to jail later.

There are countless stories around the internet of women who have been in just this situation, and they are heart wrenching. There are also stories of women who have died of sepsis because their Catholic (or other faith-based) medical facility would not remove a non-living fetus from the womb. To be clear–the baby had already died. But to remove it from the mother is still medically considered a termination of pregnancy, and so, in certain facilities, a doctor’s hands are tied.

Those stories are not mine to tell. It is important to understand the nuances of these laws; and to understand that misinformation about women’s reproductive health is harmful to women. The production and spread of that misinformation is an act of violence against women. And this, in a nutshell, is how patriarchy functions to control this narrative.

Create confusion and you create widespread fear (wait, they’re aborting full-term babies?? They can’t do that!); create fear and you have great division (who would want to kill a baby! those monsters!); and with that division, you can more easily “divide and conquer” the subjects you aim to keep small and silent (how do “those kinds of women” possibly support this evil law?) Divide women across ideological lines, and you have effectively achieved a “divide and conquer” situation, wherein women will never really mobilize for their own progress and equality, because you’re keeping them too busy fighting about their babies and their bodies.

The rest is here:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/irreverin/2019/01/why-the-patriarchy-lies-about-reproductive-health-and-no-new-york-is-not-killing-babies/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=FBCP-PRX&fbclid=IwAR37UAqODaTjxpTWrjBjpJk_up_i31oiuSMy04_O3ZUvrlxHfhKir3Sv3mY

• Platinum Contributing Member
44 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Is it possible for you to have an actual discussion about issues without being such a fucking prick? 

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Go cheat on your wife some more ya fucking fraud.

:read:

25 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Did the state of New York last week adopt a law that would allow a woman to get a late-term abortion, right up to a baby’s due date?

No. That is not what happened.

So why does the internet want you to think it is? The short answer is simple: patriarchy. The long answer, of course–like patriarchy itself–is complicated.

Here is what Article 25A, also known as the Reproductive Health Act, is really about. In short, it updates an outdated law. It protects doctors from criminal prosecution in the event that they have to to perform a late-term abortion in order to save the life of the mother. Yes, there may be some gray area surrounding what “life-threatening” might really mean. But who do we want making those decisions? A physician in the moment? Or a legislator with a hypothetical on paper? If we truly believe doctors are going to work every day just looking for an excuse to abort a full-term baby, then civilization, we have got some bigger questions to be asking ourselves.

But let’s run on the assumption that doctors go to work every day with the goal of preserving life, whenever possible. These are the kinds of laws that separate us from the developing world … the laws that make America different from countries in the Middle East and Central America, where life is both dangerous and terrifying for women. These laws let physicians make the best choices they can, in the moment, for the well-being of their patients–both the mother and the unborn baby. These laws also protect women who are already having to make impossible choices from having to also worry about going to jail later.

There are countless stories around the internet of women who have been in just this situation, and they are heart wrenching. There are also stories of women who have died of sepsis because their Catholic (or other faith-based) medical facility would not remove a non-living fetus from the womb. To be clear–the baby had already died. But to remove it from the mother is still medically considered a termination of pregnancy, and so, in certain facilities, a doctor’s hands are tied.

Those stories are not mine to tell. It is important to understand the nuances of these laws; and to understand that misinformation about women’s reproductive health is harmful to women. The production and spread of that misinformation is an act of violence against women. And this, in a nutshell, is how patriarchy functions to control this narrative.

Create confusion and you create widespread fear (wait, they’re aborting full-term babies?? They can’t do that!); create fear and you have great division (who would want to kill a baby! those monsters!); and with that division, you can more easily “divide and conquer” the subjects you aim to keep small and silent (how do “those kinds of women” possibly support this evil law?) Divide women across ideological lines, and you have effectively achieved a “divide and conquer” situation, wherein women will never really mobilize for their own progress and equality, because you’re keeping them too busy fighting about their babies and their bodies.

The rest is here:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/irreverin/2019/01/why-the-patriarchy-lies-about-reproductive-health-and-no-new-york-is-not-killing-babies/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=FBCP-PRX&fbclid=IwAR37UAqODaTjxpTWrjBjpJk_up_i31oiuSMy04_O3ZUvrlxHfhKir3Sv3mY

Countless? This the first I'm hearing about Catholics carrying around dead babies in them.

I'm trying to think of a scenario where it would be advantageous to abort the baby over taking it cesarean.  

1 minute ago, Cold War said:

Countless? This the first I'm hearing about Catholics carrying around dead babies in them.

I'm trying to think of a scenario where it would be advantageous to abort the baby over taking it cesarean.  

Maybe you should become a doctor so you can get the inside scoop on some of this baby murder stuff.

2 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Maybe you should become a doctor so you can get the inside scoop on some of this baby murder stuff.

Maybe, you shouldn't pretend like an expert because you found an article on the webs.

My wife has worked in the O R for 25 years and of the countless  late term  troubled pregnancies,  never once was it suggested they kill the baby to save the mothers life.

Oh, and just checked, never once delivered a dead baby that the mother was walking around with months. 

2 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Maybe, you shouldn't pretend like an expert because you found an article on the webs.

My wife has worked in the O R for 25 years and of the countless  late term  troubled pregnancies,  never once was it suggested they kill the baby to save the mothers life.

Oh, and just checked, never once delivered a dead baby that the mother was walking around with months. 

Well that settles it then. 

Hear that everyone? Dudes wife never saw any of this so it doesn't exist...

2 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Well that settles it then. 

Hear that everyone? Dudes wife never saw any of this so it doesn't exist...

Yeah, actual life experience vs your faggy little facebook blog. :lol: 

• Like 1

So a woman carries a baby until normal premature births can survive. 

Doctor: There is a problem, the baby might kill you.

Woman: Ok, then kill it.

Doctor: We can just deliver the baby C-Section or start the birthing process with medication....you can still have it naturally.

Woman:  No kill it.  

The whole point is basically once you get to this point an abortion is NOT about saving the mothers life.   Its because she does't want it.  There would never be a reason that the baby HAD to be killed to save the mother.   

53 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Faith based hospitals refusing care because of religious reasons.   

Jesus did the author really make that claim?   Fucking idiot.   If that happened I'm sure it was the choice of the mother and I'm sure was highly advised against by the medical facility.  The lies told to justify abortion amaze me.  

Abortion more than any other issue removes all common sense from the debate.  Want proof.

Kill a pregnant woman and you get charged with 2 counts of murder.  Hell she could even be en-route to the abortion clinic.   All of our murder laws now have exceptions written in for abortion.   Think about that.  

Edited by Highmark

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Jesus did the author really make that claim?   Fucking idiot.   If that happened I'm sure it was the choice of the mother and I'm sure was highly advised against by the medical facility.  The lies told to justify abortion amaze me.  

Abortion more than any other issue removes all common sense from the debate.  Want proof.

Kill a pregnant woman and you get charged with 2 counts of murder.  Hell she could even be en-route to the abortion clinic.   All of our murder laws now have exceptions written in for abortion.   Think about that.  

That doesn’t prove anything expect for the infiuence of right wing legislators.  Stupid laws passed by stupid emotional people.....who also cut prenatal care, nutrition sibisiides for infants and children, heating subsidies for infants and children, early childhood education.......yep - Dumb people passing dumb laws.  You’re a putz dude 👍

15 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

That doesn’t prove anything expect for the infiuence of right wing legislators.  Stupid laws passed by stupid emotional people.....who also cut prenatal care, nutrition sibisiides for infants and children, heating subsidies for infants and children, early childhood education.......yep - Dumb people passing dumb laws.  You’re a putz dude 👍

Again.   Slinging shit from behind a keyboard.   

Just now, SnowRider said:

Are you now a newfound tough guy because you look like a fool? :lol: 

I know this dude....I am tougher than you and I don't go slinging insults online that I wouldn't say to someone's face.   Pretty much everyone here thinks the opposite of you.  

24 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Yeah, it is straight up Vaxer bullshit, but someone blogged it on the internet, so it’s true!!!!!!

Daughter worked in neonatal for two years in Detroit.  Saw the worst of worst. Women with GSW”s , car wrecks , no pregnancy care, drugs, a doctor would never suggest killing a viable baby.  Literally, 15 minutes and that baby is out of mom. 

10 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I know this dude....I am tougher than you and I don't go slinging insults online that I wouldn't say to someone's face.   Pretty much everyone here thinks the opposite of you.  

:lmao: You assume and don’t know much.  :lol: You project what is really your reality.  👍