Check your account email address ×

Are you falling behind? Here's how much your peers have put away in their 401(k)s

2 minutes ago, Wildboer said:

You would be surprised what The Protestant Work Ethic has brainwashed people into believing.

I know no one who did not have some sort of task in life that did not turn in to a professional substance abuse issue,

I know,you are young and know everything .

but I have seen it all play out personaly over and over.  and idol hands always end in a sad state . 

the way it is 

9 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

It would be interesting to hear how many of the 20-29 year old group or even the younger half of the 30-39 year old group took a personal finance class in any form of their education.

Or even learned how to balance a check book in high school home ec.  

I remember balancing a check book but have not done it in 30 yrs

not sure I have used a check in 10 lol .

Edited by Ez ryder

I've been contributing to a 401k since I was 24(8 years now) and getting a full match by my employer. New job has even better 401k and I'm going to max out a Roth IRA as well. :bc:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wildboer said:

Pathetic. If you can't find a good reason to enjoy life without the "purpose" working gives you should just kill your fucking self.

Nailed it. I love being unemployed. Im busy every day all day. 

I save the max allowable in my 401k for 33 years. I saved an additional 5% of my earnings after tax. Some of that is in Roth IRA’s and some conventional. 

As discussed here before. My budget in retirement is $200/day. That has to cover every single expense I have. It just barely does. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 hours ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

In my experience, a three week trip to Thailand will cost you about $1,610 USD which works out to about $77 USD per day. That price may seem high, but your flight will likely be 50% of your budget. If you exclude the cost of the flight, then you're looking at roughly $39 USD per day.

I spend more then that going to work

• Like 1

I am behind in my retirement savings and playing catch up. I have a measly union pension coming to me at 55 for my years spent in the union. I hired a financial manager a few years ago to help get us where we want to be. Wife has a small fortune saved so as long as she doesn't divorce me we should be good. 

10 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I’ve had some buds that retired at 48-50ish. They’re fucking train wrecks now. I’ll work as long as I can. Maybe part time. 

It's good to have purpose in life.

10 hours ago, Wildboer said:

Pathetic. If you can't find a good reason to enjoy life without the "purpose" working gives you should just kill your fucking self.

There are a lot of benefits in keeping the mind active and productive, I had your limited view when I was your age.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

I had a bud who's wife made huge dinero. He worked at a golf course for like $5 an hr and all the free golf he could play. His dr had him on Prozac and all kinds of other shit. Then he started a mower kockey buss. He was fine . He didn't need drugs , he needed a reason to exist.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

There are a lot of benefits in keeping the mind active and productive, I had your limited view when I was your age.

Punching a clock is the only way to keep your mind active and productive? Many find purpose in life in other things. This is very small minded.

11 hours ago, Wildboer said:

If you really enjoy what you are doing and get paid well for it, is it really considered working?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Punching a clock is the only way to keep your mind active and productive? Many find purpose in life in other things. This is very small minded.

We've been programmed to participate in the rat race and after awhile some people believe it's their life. Like the old saying........."When I'm on my death bed, I won't remember the days I spent at work".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Nailed it. I love being unemployed. Im busy every day all day. 

I save the max allowable in my 401k for 33 years. I saved an additional 5% of my earnings after tax. Some of that is in Roth IRA’s and some conventional. 

As discussed here before. My budget in retirement is $200/day. That has to cover every single expense I have. It just barely does. 

Spot on.

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

If you really enjoy what you are doing and get paid well for it, is it really considered working?

Sure. But what about the mom that stays home to raise kids, or the guy who retires and goes to the hospital to volunteer full time. Are these not ways to stay happy and productive?

3 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Sure. But what about the mom that stays home to raise kids, or the guy who retires and goes to the hospital to volunteer full time. Are these not ways to stay happy and productive?

Those are all fine.  You need to do something, better if you enjoy it.  Nothing wrong with helping others, we are in short supply.

2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

My 91 yr old dad does meals on wheels delivery

I bet those folks he delivers too are always very happy to see him, and he feels like he’s making a difference in people’s lives. Active and productive without getting paid. Perfect example. 👍

1 minute ago, Edmo said:

I bet those folks he delivers too are always very happy to see him, and he feels like he’s making a difference in people’s lives. Active and productive without getting paid. Perfect example. 👍

I would probably help the elderly and sick get to appointments.

1 hour ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I agree.  It’s about the freedom of choice. I love what I do now, it challenges my brain constantly, but I can set it up so I’m only working a few days a month if I want to, which is the plan.  As it is I already come and go as I please and pretty much work part time.

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Exactly. I plan on scaling back my schedule big time in another 4-5 years.    My brother and I will probably sell our real estate investments, and just live off the interest, or start flipping some high-end stuff just to stay busy.  The beauty of the advisory business, is the residual income. I haven’t punched a clock in 40 years.

Edited by DriftBusta
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Edmo said:

Who punches a clock? I like the action and the socialization that goes along with what I do.

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

It's fun, plus you can only golf, snowmobile, and vacation so much before that gets boring :bc:

15 hours ago, Wildboer said:

I really enjoy what I do. I think there’s a lot of people out there, especially those that are later in life, that enjoy their work as well. Work doesn’t feel as though it’s a struggle to me. It’s very much a part of my existence. I go into work everyday knowing that I can make difference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Who punches a clock? I like the action and the socialization that goes along with what I do.

It's fun, plus you can only golf, snowmobile, and vacation so much before that gets boring :bc:

I dunno Vince...retirement is great. You forgot fishing.

3 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

I agree.  It’s about the freedom of choice. I love what I do now, it challenges my brain constantly, but I can set it up so I’m only working a few days a month if I want to, which is the plan.  As it is I already come and go as I please and pretty much work part time.

Exactly. I plan on scaling back my schedule big time in another 4-5 years.    My brother and I will probably sell our real estate investments, and just live off the interest, or start flipping some high-end stuff just to stay busy.  The beauty of the advisory business, is the residual income. I haven’t punched a clock in 40 years.

Wife wants to retire in 6 years so I will see where I'm at that point.  I love what I do but my goal is to transfer the company ownership to the employees (you know own the means to production) and live off my investments as they will still continue to grow handsomely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

No shit.  A week is about all I can handle before both me and the wife are saying its good to be back home.

There’s no right or wrong answer here. Some get a lot of their self worth through their work. Other just want to gtfo and do other things. We’re all cut a little different.

Edited by Edmo