Check your account email address ×

U.S. Imposes Sanctions On Venezuelan State Oil Monopoly

• Platinum Contributing Member

The U.S. is imposing sanctions on Venezuela's state-owned oil company in an attempt to dislodge President Nicolás Maduro in favor of his rival, Juan Guaidó.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and National Security Adviser John Bolton announced Monday that all property of the PDVSA subject to U.S. jurisdiction will be blocked, and all U.S. citizens are prohibited from trading with them. That includes the Houston-based Citgo subsidiary of PDVSA. Mnuchin said the revenues earned by Venezuelan companies will be held in escrow until Guaidó has been granted control of the government or new elections are held in Venezuela.

"These are valuable assets that we are protecting for the benefit of the Venezuelan people," Mnuchin told reporters Monday.

National Security Adviser John Bolton said the moves were aimed at supporting "the legitimate government" of Guaidó and called on the military of Venezuela to support a "peaceful, democratic and constitutional transfer of power."

The sanctions are the latest U.S. move to back Guaidó nearly a week after he declared himself interim president as protesters flooded cities across Venezuela. Guaidó, the 35-year-old recently elected to head the National Assembly, says his power comes from the Venezuelan constitution because Maduro won his second term by fraud.

Canada endorsed Guaido so it must be correct.  :pc:

In all fairness there is much more to this than many of you are letting on to know.   The National Assembly  endorsed Guaido per their "constitutional" duties.   I believe its like the house and Senate disagreeing.  

Edited by Highmark

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

What in the actual fuck gives us the right to do shit like this and fuck John Bolton...drain the fucking  swamp my ass. 

It is blatant imperialism no other reason. This is the kind of shit that validates us to attack it her countries. Russia and China have both warned, don't touch Venezuela. Should be interesting. 

• Like 1

I oppose what we are doing in Venezuela but it begs the question under what circumstances is it acceptable for the US to intervene economically?  

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

I oppose what we are doing in Venezuela but it begs the question under what circumstances is it acceptable for the US to intervene economically?  

No circumstances IMO.

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

No circumstances IMO.

So a country should not cut off business ties with the US if they don't like what we are doing in our country?   Should always be business as usual?

Don't get me wrong in almost any case I want to stay out of other countries business but there must be times when economic sanctions are justified.   Russia and Crimea for example.  

How many people on here endorsed sanctions against SA for killing that "reporter?"  

Edited by Highmark

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

What in the actual fuck gives us the right to do shit like this and fuck John Bolton...drain the fucking  swamp my ass. 

I wonder how long before we discover isis is hiding out in Venezuela?

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

So a country should not cut off business ties with the US if they don't like what we are doing in our country?   Should always be business as usual?

Don't get me wrong in almost any case I want to stay out of other countries business but there must be times when economic sanctions are justified.   Russia and Crimea for example.  

How many people on here endorsed sanctions against SA for killing that "reporter?"  

Economic sanction were only implemented because we dont like who they have been voting for president. And they have state owned oil which happens to be the largest oil reserves in the world. The people who pull the strings dont think a country should own that much oil even if the oil is in their country... 

This only hurts the people of Venezuela who have dont nothing to us. These sanctions are a criminal act. 

27 minutes ago, Anler said:

Economic sanction were only implemented because we dont like who they have been voting for president. And they have state owned oil which happens to be the largest oil reserves in the world. The people who pull the strings dont think a country should own that much oil even if the oil is in their country... 

This only hurts the people of Venezuela who have dont nothing to us. These sanctions are a criminal act. 

Actually I think its a bit more complicated than that.   Their version of Parliament has also not recognized Maduro and has named Guaido President.   Its not just us.  Its a good portion of their country plus many other nations as well.   We are the only ones who have the clout to make a difference.   Either way I agree stay the fuck out and let the people of Venezuela take care of it.   

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Actually I think its a bit more complicated than that.   Their version of Parliament has also not recognized Maduro and has named Guaido President.   Its not just us.  Its a good portion of their country plus many other nations as well.   We are the only ones who have the clout to make a difference.   Either way I agree stay the fuck out and let the people of Venezuela take care of it.   

If Im not mistaken its only one chamber of their congress that supports him. The other chamber supporting the old dude.

Just now, steve from amherst said:

If Im not mistaken its only one chamber of their congress that supports him. The other chamber supporting the old dude.

Yes.   I stated that above.   Fucked up situation there.  

7 minutes ago, Highmark said:

This has been tried before under Chavez. These coups have failed every time. The people of Venezuela don't want a western president. They have made that clear for over 15 years now. 

1 minute ago, Anler said:

This has been tried before under Chavez. These coups have failed every time. The people of Venezuela don't want a western president. They have made that clear for over 15 years now. 

Stockholm syndrome?

9 minutes ago, Anler said:

Not sure the people would agree.   In any case they should take care of it.  

venezuela-protests-maduro-getty__641x427.jpg

Edited by Highmark

29 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Stockholm syndrome?

Not really, the economic problems Venezuela has had were imposed on them by the west. When they initially took control of their oil reserves they paid off their national debt and cut poverty by 30%. Then there was a coup to oust Chavez. The west already had a spanish substitute ready to take over and be sworn in as interim president. But then the people of Venezuela stormed the capital and demanded Chavez be reinstated and they told the Spanish guy to fuck off. The news stopped reporting when that happened. Its been a war against the west ever since.