Check your account email address ×

Need advice on new snowblower

My parents replaced their old Honda last season, the thing is older than me and it still started with 2 pulls every time. Maintenance on the old dog got to be annoying so my dad got a new Honda to replace the 30+ year old one.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, hwytohell said:

Old two stage  Toros  have good reviews also, with a augur impeller bushing / bearing upgrades , impeller kit , good to go for another 30 years.

I have used nothing but Toros for 30+ yrs and have never had a problem. My current one, a 4 stroke, which is likely a lot smaller than what XCR700 is looking for came with a "Guarantee to start/run for 5yrs" which can't be beat, imo. Our driveway is a 4 car size, side by side, and it does a great job. 2 neighbors have the big honking walk behind types and I can be done my driveway in less than half the time it takes them to do theirs. In the spring I syphon the gas then carry it downstairs and store in my crawlspace. If a big walk behind is needed, I'd give Toro a looksee. They currently have a pretty good deal on as well.

https://www.toro.com/en-ca/homeowner/snow-blowers

Toro snowblower.jpg

29 minutes ago, xcr700 said:

Yeah ,one of the farmers here has a few giant ass tractors that he uses for snow clearing.  People pay him to plow their driveways.  Was thinking about going that route to ,but I'll still need something to make a path in the back for a dog when we finally get one again. Woman wants a smaller dog this time ,so its going to need a path in the winter lol

I use the snowmobile to make trails for the dogs 

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member

Don't get a husky or that pile of shit cub 3 stage,..Honda or a Yamaha if you have the money,..Ariens or simplicity are in your price range and good units,..If I was going to buy a blower today it would be a dual stage Toro. I like what they have done in the area of the 2nd stage impeller to reduce clogging..

Wish you were in the states, I could get you what ever you want at cost

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xcr700 said:

They have decent looking husqvarnas too ,but mixed reviews 

I have a Craftsman 24" 208cc and it does a good job. The one Husky model with a light is identical and was $600 more. I clear alot of snow with it and no issues

20190126_164152.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ckf said:

Do you guys have a craigslist or something like that where you could look for a used one?

We have Kijiji up here lol. Same shit I'm sure. I just hate buying anything used . I usually buy new and run shit into the ground lol

1 minute ago, xcr700 said:

We have Kijiji up here lol. Same shit I'm sure. I just hate buying anything used . I usually buy new and run shit into the ground lol

Look for a deal on a used Honda or Yamaha. You might find one that wasn't used much. Those motors are like the energizer bunny :lol:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ckf said:

Look for a deal on a used Honda or Yamaha. You might find one that wasn't used much. Those motors are like the energizer bunny :lol:

Yeah. I'll look into that route too. Thanks!  But with my luck ,the fuckers just frozen lol

• Like 1

I had an old Craftsman snowblower too. Had to be over 20 years old. It was leaking gas all the time so I gave it to one of my employees and he fixed it up and still uses it. 

It was so good I bought another Craftsman only this time I got a 30". Used it today and it's been great. I've had it for 6 or 7 years now. Has hand controls for turning and chute direction. I love it.

prod_2266764112.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Ariens and done.  Try to find a dealer and look at the Deluxe or Premium models  HD may carry them too.

Yes Ariens....you can blow snow from your driveway to freezes house in winnipeg.

:lol:

3 minutes ago, Anler said:

I had an old Craftsman snowblower too. Had to be over 20 years old. It was leaking gas all the time so I gave it to one of my employees and he fixed it up and still uses it. 

It was so good I bought another Craftsman only this time I got a 30". Used it today and it's been great. I've had it for 6 or 7 years now. Has hand controls for turning and chute direction. I love it.

prod_2266764112.jpeg

I like mine too. Only thing that sucks is the model T style shute direction lol. Feel like I'm trying to start an old model T when changing directions 

2 minutes ago, xcr700 said:

I like mine too. Only thing that sucks is the model T style shute direction lol. Feel like I'm trying to start an old model T when changing directions 

This model is awesome. I looked at alot if different brands when I bought it and outside of a commercial grade Cub cadet or something this one works really well. I've tackled some pretty deep and heavy snow with it too. Don't know where you live and what you would be tackling with it. I like this one alot. 

• Like 1