Check your account email address ×

The Bet

f7ben

1 minute ago, Snoslinger said:

I wouldn’t call it an oscillation

Why ....these quantum variables are happening inside the fractions of a second too and fro back and forth lug flicks at the front and at the rear. Its like a sine wave !!!!!!!!!!1111

1 hour ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

You got this 550!

Congrats....just make sure  its a full rotation of the track and not the driveshaft.......larger diameter track will travel further....its just basic physics.

A lot of moronic putz's on this site.

If you need any help with some of the attorney's  fee's....I can probably help until you give me the 500 when you win.

Lol. Same thoughts I had initially but you are wrong 

Just now, motonoggin said:

Regardless of the length or thickness (circumference) of the drive chain, the top gear in a 20/40 gear setup will still rotate twice for every rotation of the bottom gear. 

no ....the gear is wearing inside every revolution.......every motion of the drivetrain changes it from 20.00000000000000001/40.0000000000000000000001

to 19.9999999999999999999999999 to 39.9999999999999999999999999999

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
27 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

If that were true, track length would have an effect on drive ratio, but it doesn't.

25 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

100% WRONG.  When talking about 1 or 10 or 100 rotations of the drive axle, Lug Height doesn't change the the distance traveled, neither does the length of the track.  The track could be 100 miles long and 10 spins of the drive axle will only move the track 10 times the circumference of the drive axle.  Lug Height and track length have no bearing.  

I think we are discussing 2 different things.....I fully agree that the ratio would remain constant. 

But if you suspended a sled in the air and wrapped a string completely around the same length track with one having 1 inch lugs and another with 3 inch lugs. ......it's obvious the 3inch lug would require a longer string.

If you laid those strings side.by side the 3 inch lug string would be longer.....and that equals distance. The inside diameter of the track is equal but the longer lugs make the outside diameter larger. So 1 full rotation of these 2 TRACKS not the clutch or cogs would yeild a difference in distance.

I thought that is what the original bet was about.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I think we are discussing 2 different things.....I fully agree that the ratio would remain constant. 

But if you suspended a sled in the air and wrapped a string completely around the same length track with one having 1 inch lugs and another with 3 inch lugs. ......it's obvious the 3inch lug would require a longer string.

If you laid those strings side.by side the 3 inch lug string would be longer.....and that equals distance. The inside diameter of the track is equal but the longer lugs make the outside diameter larger. So 1 full rotation of these 2 TRACKS not the clutch or cogs would yeild a difference in distance.

Nope....not at all. The bet is about if the sled will travel a greater distance with the longer lugs and it will not 

1 minute ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I see where you could think that, and that was the crux of the original debate. But that string in your example would also be longer with a longer track.

However, since the point of contact is linear and not rotational, the circumference of the track has no effect like a taller tire would. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Other than your sled is 11.5" taller :lol:

3 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

The sled only moves the length of the inner diameter 

3 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

🤦🏼‍♂️ Anyone not on Team Bhent to Shit. Needs to die in a fire. I feel like Ben has been too cordial, so I am stepping in with useless insults. 

I've been trying to be nice.......buttcocks and Daive almost had me killing a few people today but I didnt fall for their trolling.....

19 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

I see where you could think that, and that was the crux of the original debate. But that string in your example would also be longer with a longer track.

However, since the point of contact is linear and not rotational, the circumference of the track has no effect like a taller tire would. 

18 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

The sled only moves the length of the inner diameter 

14 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

put 1 foot studs on the track and the distance traveled in one revolution wouldn’t change  

Ok....I'm struggling with this a little bit:pan: but the inner diameter and linear movement does make sense.

I'd almost have to see it in action to fully believe it.

Call the bet off 550....:lol:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Ok....I'm struggling with this a little bit:pan: but the inner diameter and linear movement does make sense.

I'd almost have to see it in action to fo uully believe it.

:lol: doesnt it suck when you were so sure  and then it hits you ..........just like I said about 8 pages back 

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

cut an lay equal length tracks flat....  Say 162 inch tracks....  One with no lugs and one with 3 in lugs....  The tracks would be the same length when laid out flat

Now cut a 31 in tire and stretch it out flat and a 35 inch tire and stretch it out flat....  35 inch tire is longer

If you can understand that, you are getting somewhere and there is hope for you.

Edited by BOHICA

4 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I had to see it in action. I took an old drive belt, put a few nails in it, and moved it on a bench :lol: 

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

:lol: doesnt it suck when you were so sure  and then it hits you ..........just like I said about 8 pages back 

Yup

What can I tell ya.....slow learner:whiteflag:

Still not totally sold....lol