Check your account email address ×

The Bet

f7ben

11 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Yeah it all boils down to inner diameter not outer diameter

Once you get the concept that the track is equivalent to the asphalt under a car tire, not the tire itself, it all makes sense.

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

PLease explain why it is. TIA

Track gets laid down for the skid to ride across.  Only thing the lug height changes is the height of the wheels and slides above the ground.  Even if you had a way to put 10' lugs on the track, the same length of track is laid down by each rotation of the driveshaft and therefore the sled can only move that far as it's attached to the thing doing the track-laying.

Another way to think of it is this.  Does a train riding on taller rails have a different drive ratio than one riding on shorter rails?

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Track gets laid down for the skid to ride across.  Only thing the lug height changes is the height of the wheels and slides above the ground.  Even if you had a way to put 10' lugs on the track, the same length of track is laid down by each rotation of the driveshaft and therefore the sled can only move that far as it's attached to the thing doing the track-laying.

Another way to think of it is this.  Does a train riding on taller rails have a different drive ratio than one riding on shorter rails?

Do you hate me? Do you hate me having 20k US dollars from mach z?

Kindly quit ruining my 20k dollars please 

4 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

I wish I had 20 large just laying around so I could get some of this sweet action...

Can you escrow weed? 

I don't think so.....you cant trade is for McDonalds either

8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Do you hate me? Do you hate me having 20k US dollars from mach z?

Kindly quit ruining my 20k dollars please 

lol you really think it matters?  We may as well be explaining quadrature amplitude modulation to a Victorian era hooker.

Enjoy your easy money.

• Haha 3

• USA Contributing Member

So I'm looking for an aftermarket cog kit that will change my 6" wheels to 8".  I figure if I need a different track I can get a stock one here cheap from one of the dummies swapping it for taller tracks trying to get some more speed out of their sled.

18 minutes ago, Matt said:

lol you really think it matters?  We may as well be explaining quadrature amplitude modulation to a Victorian era hooker.

Enjoy your easy money.

Khashoggiid

11 minutes ago, $poorsledder$ said:

So I'm looking for an aftermarket cog kit that will change my 6" wheels to 8".  I figure if I need a different track I can get a stock one here cheap from one of the dummies swapping it for taller tracks trying to get some more speed out of their sled.

Khashoggiidd

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, Legend said:

Olav Aaen

Don't call Olav, he thinks it changes the ratio.   When I responded to and email he sent me stating why he was wrong he didn't reply.  Let me be clear there is nobody and I mean nobody in snowmobiling that I respect more than Mr. Aaen I just feel on this particular question he is incorrect.  

Response from Olav Aaen cut and paste from my email.

Actually, to be totally correct the pitch diameter should be calculated to the outside of the lug since that is the rotating speed (Surface Speed) as it comes off the sprocket on a hard surface. On softer snow surface, it all depends on penetration and also slippage. There is seldom 100% hookup ever with studs on hard ice, so optimal final gearing is always determined by testing!

Olav Aaen

59 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Don't call Olav, he thinks it changes the ratio.   When I responded to and email he sent me stating why he was wrong he didn't reply.  Let me be clear there is nobody and I mean nobody in snowmobiling that I respect more than Mr. Aaen I just feel on this particular question he is incorrect.  

Response from Olav Aaen cut and paste from my email.

Actually, to be totally correct the pitch diameter should be calculated to the outside of the lug since that is the rotating speed (Surface Speed) as it comes off the sprocket on a hard surface. On softer snow surface, it all depends on penetration and also slippage. There is seldom 100% hookup ever with studs on hard ice, so optimal final gearing is always determined by testing!

Olav Aaen

The problem with his answer is that he fails to take into account the drive sprocket is not on the surface, but above it.

15 hours ago, Kivalo said:

Why arent you? Cheap bastard!

Why don't you post the responses you got from the engineering site you asked KIVALO!!! I read your post, and the responses. FAGGOT!!!

Never thought I'd see that, didja'???? 

6 months ago!!! LMMFAO!! 

Go ahead, tell everybody what they said.

LMMFAO!! Yes, you do live at your mother's house on Owasco LAke, you were only staying on that oil barge for a few weeks!! LMMFAO!!  

25 minutes ago, SmeeAgain said:

The problem with his answer is that he fails to take into account the drive sprocket is not on the surface, but above it.

Timing_Belt_Pulley_Pitch_Diameter_and_Outside_Diameter.jpg

5 hours ago, f7ben said:

No...I'm working. Then driving up to MN

Then it's the holidays. Maybe after Christmas we can get the actual ball rolling

Benny, you little bastid!!!! 

I swear to God, if you don't give me the name of a lawyer by Friday afternoon, I'm Gonna' load my fukken Sierra with gas cans in the back, so I can make it non-stop to Mn., and I'm gonna' beat you like a fukken rented mule!!

You made me waste my fukken time contacting THREE professional people, and also my garage demo!! 

You fukken homo, give me the name of a fukken lawyer, and get your check ready, or you're gonna' get whacked with an ASS ODOR AXE HANDLE!!!

Don't fukken blame me when Auni is screaming " Mommy, mommy, a crazy man is hitting Daddy!! " 

9 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

Benny, you little bastid!!!! 

I swear to God, if you don't give me the name of a lawyer by Friday afternoon, I'm Gonna' load my fukken Sierra with gas cans in the back, so I can make it non-stop to Mn., and I'm gonna' beat you like a fukken rented mule!!

You made me waste my fukken time contacting THREE professional people, and also my garage demo!! 

You fukken homo, give me the name of a fukken lawyer, and get your check ready, or you're gonna' get whacked with an ASS ODOR AXE HANDLE!!!

Don't fukken blame me when Auni is screaming " Mommy, mommy, a crazy man is hitting Daddy!! " 

Why do you get to choose the professional?  

I proved someone else wrong on this back in 97.   Had a 96 670 Summit I swapped tracks on from midwest to mountains.   1.5" track moved the sled the same distance as the 1" track with 10 rotations of the secondary.   

Edited by Highmark