Check your account email address ×

Alaska Earthquake

No detectable aftershocks for about 5 hours now.  Everything seems to be calming down.  I drove into town about an hour ago.  Almost every business has the interior lights on but all exterior lights off.  Lots of retailers with shelves destroyed and everything on the floor.  NAPA with all the shelves just toppled over and empty.

Oops.  There was just a small shock as i typed this.  We have all the grandkids over for the night.  They are having a blast actually.  

10 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

NOAA is predicting another huge quake right here. Worse than the first.   They say it could happen any minute. 

Stores across southcentral are closed due to damaged shelves and damage everywhere. 

Trump says NOAA is all bullshit LOL

All kidding aside glad you and the family are safe!!  I see that the grandkids are over, terrific and lasting memories for all !

God Bless!

51 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Trump says NOAA is all bullshit LOL

All kidding aside glad you and the family are safe!!  I see that the grandkids are over, terrific and lasting memories for all !

God Bless!

Grandkids are all over.  We've been having fun.  We have our evacuation plan down,  the kiddos are really into this emergency stuff.   Shoes and flashlights lined up by the front door.  These are the times that make life incredible.  Teaching littles how to respond to adversity.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Grandkids are all over.  We've been having fun.  We have our evacuation plan down,  the kiddos are really into this emergency stuff.   Shoes and flashlights lined up by the front door.  These are the times that make life incredible.  Teaching littles how to respond to adversity.  

Glad to hear you and all of yours made it through it unscathed.  Kids respond great under adverse conditions.  It’s not until we grow into adults that we turn into panicky, sniveling dipshits.  :lmao:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

47308258_10155707552261712_5529380337555

This house has been all over my feeds this morning. I hope like hell he is covered. I have full replacement earthquake policy on my house. There is a big fault line along the IL river not to far from me. My agent said only about 25% of the homes in my area have the extra policy? Over the years we have had a few tiny ones.

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Glad to hear you and all of yours made it through it unscathed.  Kids respond great under adverse conditions.  It’s not until we grow into adults that we turn into panicky, sniveling dipshits.  :lmao:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Woodtick said:

This house has been all over my feeds this morning. I hope like hell he is covered. I have full replacement earthquake policy on my house. There is a big fault line along the IL river not to far from me. My agent said only about 25% of the homes in my area have the extra policy? Over the years we have had a few tiny ones.

Hard to say but fairly unlikely.  The vast majority of people here don't have earthquake insurance.  It's expensive here because of the potential of big quakes.  

A lot of little tremors all night.  I slept right through them.  Grandkids did good.  We made a huge pallet in the living room and they all slept in sleeping bags.  They stayed up late and played all night.  This morning all they talk about was where they were when the big one hit yesterday.  

• Like 1

My sister Cheryl was in the 1964 Alaska Quake, I recall she said she was driving down main street when it hit,, husband was in The Air Force at the time, they lived in a trailer Park, Muldoon or something like that.

The ‘64 quake was bad. Much much worse than this.  This was for sure the worst earthquake that has hit southcentral AK since ‘64.  This was bad but nothing like ‘64. Lots and lots of people died in ‘64. Only minor injuries during this one. 

It’s a helpless feeling when the earth is moving under and all around you.  Like being rag dolled by a monster. 

3 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

The ‘64 quake was bad. Much much worse than this.  This was for sure the worst earthquake that has hit southcentral AK since ‘64.  This was bad but nothing like ‘64. Lots and lots of people died in ‘64. Only minor injuries during this one. 

It’s a helpless feeling when the earth is moving under and all around you.  Like being rag dolled by a monster. 

Yeah, I can't imagine. The Earth staying stable under our feet is one of the few things we feel like we can count on. :lol:

• Gold Member
On 12/1/2018 at 4:44 PM, SSFB said:

Yeah, I can't imagine. The Earth staying stable under our feet is one of the few things we feel like we can count on. :lol:

Until JT's cat comes and paws you over the side!  :lol:

• Haha 1

• Gold Member
26 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

I think the USA is getting fucked this year.

Floods

Wildfires

Hurricanes

Tornados

Stop stealing the coffee shops wifi, you can't afford coffee anyway.

6 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Stop stealing the coffee shops wifi, you can't afford coffee anyway.

Whaddya' mean? Some lady called me from Lake Owasco in NY. Said her son has been abducted by a band of Athabascan native women, and asked if I'd be interested in renting his room. 

I said sure, beats living under a bridge. She said I can even shoot ducks from the front yard!!!!    :happy:

• Gold Member
11 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

Whaddya' mean? Some lady called me from Lake Owasco in NY. Said her son has been abducted by a band of Athabascan native women, and asked if I'd be interested in renting his room. 

I said sure, beats living under a bridge. She said I can even shoot ducks from the front yard!!!!    :happy:

:lol:

1 hour ago, Frostynuts said:

Are they still going to be able to run the Irondog race this year ?

Oh yes no doubt. Only the first 50 miles of the 2000 mile race is near where the earthquake happened. 

That said, rivers and creeks over the first 200 miles are still wide open. Guys have been practicing but a few have sunk sleds already. The rivers are super dangerous right now because of low snow and not cold enough for safe ice. 

The race will go on no doubt but some teams may not get as much practice miles as normal. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2018 at 8:39 PM, AKIQPilot said:

Glad you and Sherry are safe. Hopefully no more Earth adjustments are needed. I remember the 64 quake, looks like you dodged a bullet. That one killed 30 something people. Stay safe Buddy.

The Alaska DOT, Emergency Response Team and local contractors are kicking total ass on the response to this earthquake.  Our asphalt plants close down for winter by October 1.  The called the plant operators into action to fire up one of the plants and make some hot asphalt so the paving could begin.  

There are still a few roads and bridges to repair but over half of all major road damage is repaired already. 

Here is the road by the Anchorage International airport.

47579771_10156124735062921_5386509672087

This is the inbound lane from the Valley to Anchorage.  30,000 cars drive on this road every day.  That hole is 60' deep.  

47340022_10215911096464250_3125348904166

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1