Check your account email address ×

2020?

Politics

Americans Increasingly Predicting Trump 2020 Victory: CNN Poll

710c91c0-4b9c-11e7-8912-374be9390b1b_H-1-.png.cf.jpg
Andy McDonald
HuffPostOctober 14, 2018

1d2ab586c4f0e78023882dce5fd42f44

The percentage of Americans who believe President Donald Trumpwill win a second term is increasing, a new CNN poll finds

Forty-six percent of those polled think Trump will defeat his Democratic opponent in 2020, as opposed to 47 percent who think he will lose. The poll comes with a 3.8 percent margin of error, so essentially it’s a draw.

However, the surprising takeaway seems to be that the public thinks Trump’s odds are improving. In March, 54 percent of Americans believed the president would lose in 2020.

Of course, as CNN’s report notes, these predictions have proved wrong in the past. Polls from 1995 and 2010 showed a majority of Americans predicting presidents Barack Obama and Bill Clinton would lose re-election.

Regardless, the uptick in people foreseeing a Trump win may be related to how Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents feel about the party’s potential 2020 candidates. The field is large and support is currently scattered.

The poll shows former Vice President Joe Biden leading the pack at 33 percent, followed by Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont with 13 percent, and Sen. Kamala Harris of California at 9 percent.

The first @CNN numbers for 2020 Democratic presidential nomination just released this morning:

Biden 33%
Sanders 13%
Harris 9%
Warren 8%
Booker 5%
Kerry 5%
Bloomberg 4%
O’Rourke 4%
Holder 3%
Garcetti 2%
Avenatti 1%
Gillibrand 1%
Klobuchar 1%
Patrick 1%
Bullock <1%
Delaney <1%

We’re still two years out from the next presidential election and weeks away from the 2018 midterms, so this is all very preliminary. And as CNN’s Ryan Struyk points out, the Republican field in November 2014 ― two years before then-candidate Trump defeated Hillary Clinton ― looked vastly different than what the GOP ended up with.

In 2014, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney led with 20 percent support, followed by Ben Carson with 10 percent and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush with 9 percent.

CdLENj1l_bigger.jpg

Here's what the @CNN polling looked like in November 2014 -->

Clinton 65%
Warren 10%
Biden 9%
Sanders 5%
Cuomo 1%
Patrick 1%
Webb 1%
O'Malley <1%

Here's what the @CNN polling looked like in November 2014 on the Republican side -->

Romney 20%
Carson 10%
Bush 9%
Christie 8%
Huckabee 7%
Paul 6%
Ryan 6%
Cruz 5%
Walker 5%
Perry 4%
Rubio 3%
Kasich 2%
Santorum 2%
Jindal 1%
Pence 1%
Portman <1%

No Trump.

Trump’s own party continues to support him by a vast majority, the poll shows, with 74 percent wanting to see him in office for a second term. Twenty-one percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents would prefer someone else.

Trump’s own party continues to support him by a vast majority, the poll shows, with 74 percent wanting to see him in office for a second term

That number is way to high and a problem for me .  I'd like to see it at maybe 25% because 75 % of that party is a huge piece of dogshit too

2 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

Tongue in cheek, I presume?

No.  Of this list, I think those two would stand the best chance in 2020 for the Democrats.  

The first @CNN numbers for 2020 Democratic presidential nomination just released this morning:

Biden 33%
Sanders 13%
Harris 9%
Warren 8%
Booker 5%
Kerry 5%
Bloomberg 4%
O’Rourke 4%
Holder 3%
Garcetti 2%
Avenatti 1%
Gillibrand 1%
Klobuchar 1%
Patrick 1%
Bullock <1%
Delaney <1%

There will be some Repubs that will give POTUS 45 a primary challenge . That dnn list is far short of the dem dirty thirty that will try to  open the barn yard gate of braying herded up jackasses looking for  elite dembankster monies and me(d)ia face time.

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

Of the list of Democrats provided, I think Biden and/or Bloomberg would be their best bet in 2020.

They don't have anyone and whoever it is they will run a campaign on 100% mudslinging. Trump gives them plenty of ammo buy it will be a disgrace. A far left party will emerge and probably take the Dems out. We are fucked either way. 

14 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

They don't have anyone and whoever it is they will run a campaign on 100% mudslinging. Trump gives them plenty of ammo buy it will be a disgrace. A far left party will emerge and probably take the Dems out. We are fucked either way. 

I think Trump will be and should be looked back on as someone who is doing this country a great service by making the masses suspicious of our democratic process and those we elect.  

He is throwing the stick in the spokes of government.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I think Trump will be and should be looked back on as someone who is doing this country a great service by making the masses suspicious of our democratic process and those we elect.  

Yes he is and I think the political class is scared of his popularity so they are just playing along until he's done. And once he is done they are going to take measures to make sure nobody like him gets to that level ever again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nazipigdog said:

Yes he is and I think the political class is scared of his popularity so they are just playing along until he's done. And once he is done they are going to take measures to make sure nobody like him gets to that level ever again. 

the media has been doing that dirty work for them .

who in there right mind would want to deal with that shit after seeing this shit show play out .

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 hours ago, Nazipigdog said:

Unless something major happens I don't see how Trump can lose. He may not have a Republican house and Senate tho. 

Good , I like stagnation. Or as Mark Twain had said ( supposedly ) " your money and your freedoms are never safe when the legislature is in session."

19 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

the media has been doing that dirty work for them .

who in there right mind would want to deal with that shit after seeing this shit show play out .

Politics is the hobby of spoiled children and bored housewives.  

11 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Anybody who doesn't already know this either has their head in the sand or up their ass.

9 hours ago, Nazipigdog said:

The funny part is the actions of the political class over the last few decades is what led to a guy like Trump. The voters had plenty of opportunities to vote establishment candidates and chose not to.

54 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

The funny part is the actions of the political class over the last few decades is what led to a guy like Trump. The voters had plenty of opportunities to vote establishment candidates and chose not to.

You mean putting forth shitty candidates?

I still have a hard time believing he'll run instead of endorsing somebody.  I'm hoping for a better candidate from both sides. However, if this current political/social climate still exists by then, well then....he's needed for another four.  Some people are hard of learning.  They seem to be the "intellectually elite" in a strange twist of irony.

Just now, Nazipigdog said:

You mean putting forth shitty candidates?

They had what 12 establishment Republicans and the most entrenched Democrat they could muster and the votes on both sides went to out of the mainstream canidates. Career politicians should take the lessons of the 2016 elections as a warning but they won't.

• Like 1