Check your account email address ×

Favourite childhood restaurants

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone from the Toledo area remember Farrells. The place was set up like an old ragtime era restaurant with red and white color schemes and brass everywhere. The employees wore striped pants with a red vest and a straw hat. Tons of penny candy in huge glass jars with the gigantic swirled suckers that would take you all day to eat. I want to say there was a coliapi (sp) that would play every once in a while, too. It was a young childs dream.

13 minutes ago, JEFF said:

Weeks family restaurant and IHOP. I'd eat pancakes until i would get sick...

And Hart's turkey farm .

I remember Weeks at the traffic circle. What was the name of the burger / ice cream place at the Lee trafic circle?

11 minutes ago, JEFF said:

If you're ever in Gorham looking for pizza try Mountain fire Pizza. Maple bacon pizza. Sounds Meh... It's amazing.

Where is it?

I remember when we would go visit family in North Bay ( lived in Sudbury till I was 9) we would always take over this one Chinese restaurant.  It was soooooo good . First time I ever had chicken fried rice and sweet and sour chicken balls. Probably first time i got an erection lol

17 minutes ago, JEFF said:

Weeks family restaurant and IHOP. I'd eat pancakes until i would get sick...

And Hart's turkey farm .

forgot about weeks.  We had Bickfords in portsmouth and newington which was even better than IHOP.  the one at the traffic circle is now a great diner.  the one at the mall is a store.  

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

forgot about weeks.  We had Bickfords in portsmouth and newington which was even better than IHOP.  the one at the traffic circle is now a great diner.  the one at the mall is a store.  

We used to go to the one at the mall when I was a kid.

1 minute ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Another vote for Howard Johnsons.

Used to love their fried clam strips and milk shakes as a kid

The only time I got to go to one was when we were traveling as a kid. There was one at the service center on the Mass Pike. I think it turned in to a Roy Rogers or something like that. Probably a BK or Mickey D's by now.

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Johnsons in New Durham was always a stop going up towards winni and that little burger joint in ossipee headed north just above the 28 junction.  i eat at both still sometimes when i drive by brings up good memories

Is that one still there?

1 minute ago, ckf said:

We used to go to the one at the mall when I was a kid.

The only time I got to go to one was when we were traveling as a kid. There was one at the service center on the Mass Pike. I think it turned in to a Roy Rogers or something like that. Probably a BK or Mickey D's by now.

We did a 4 week road trip in 76 think we hit HoJos for breakfast every day and I had the french toast :lol: 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, ckf said:

I think there is one remaining Ho Jo's open and it's in Lake George, NY. I used to love the Ho Jo's frozen mac & cheese and their blueberry toastes

https://www.eater.com/2017/10/12/16465854/howard-johnsons-jon-la-rock-sexual-abuse

This must be the one.....:whiteflag:

1 hour ago, ckf said:

I think there is one remaining Ho Jo's open and it's in Lake George, NY. I used to love the Ho Jo's frozen mac & cheese and their blueberry toastes

Think I may have ate a cube van full od those over the years :lol:   The last one around here became an Audi dealer :bc:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ckf said:

That's awesome. Something like that is still on my bucket list :bc:

Old man loved him a road trip did multiple including one in the UK was interesting doing all that driving on the wrong side of the road while right hand driving :) 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
46 minutes ago, Skidude600 said:

Anyone from the Toledo area remember Farrells. The place was set up like an old ragtime era restaurant with red and white color schemes and brass everywhere. The employees wore striped pants with a red vest and a straw hat. Tons of penny candy in huge glass jars with the gigantic swirled suckers that would take you all day to eat. I want to say there was a coliapi (sp) that would play every once in a while, too. It was a young childs dream.

I have never been to a Farrell's but it was on the tv show The Profit with Marcus Lemonis and pretty sure they are still around. 

5 minutes ago, Momorider said:

Old man loved him a road trip did multiple including one in the UK was interesting doing all that driving on the wrong side of the road while right hand driving :) 

How many signs did you get smashed in the face with while hanging out the window with your tongue flapping in the breeze ??    :bc:

Edited by Sal Rosenberg
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Skidude600 said:

There use to be one on 14 & John R by the Oakland Mall many many moons ago.  Went there lots as a kid.  

Also remember going to Howard Johnsons quite frequently.

Who remembers this place?

505747a0344412537b01fbf635bbe5b8--at-sign-shop-signs.jpg_cf.jpg.ee57bc17191601e70dcb27cdc873b550.jpg

or this one

Vintage-Postcard.jpg_cf.jpg.527c5fc80f3201b470a88993cbc7814e.jpg

Also remember stopping at these all the time as a kid on road trips.

1323064779_Stuckeys2Bp.c._0001_NEW.jpg_cf.jpg.bfa4bfb80a670b8df08fe057793d07fb.jpg

Edited by SVT Renegade XRS