Check your account email address ×

Ontario has gone to hell under NinnyBag

Momorider

Most people, including myself, couldn't care less about what Toronto pays in relation to other municipalities. It is the constant complaining and whining from Toronto that they need more provincial and federal money to solve their problems. Firstly they have a spending problem and need to get that under control. Secondly they have a lot of room to raise their realty taxes before running elsewhere.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pt3189 said:

As a small business owner in this province for the last 23 years I cringe when I read stories like this. Payroll taxes are another cost that have been climbing slowly but steadily here as well. I enjoy the freedom that comes with being the owner however I feel the deck is slowly being stacked against me. I have watched as other businesses similar to mine have closed shop and others are throwing good money after bad in order to keep their doors open and hope for a turnaround . I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel considering our current leadership.

Its only getting worse.  Unless you are a large corp getting a handout and a photo-op from both the Feds and Province.

11 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

sounds like you might be last man standing - Seems you are running things better than them :good:

keep going as you won't like working for someone else

Not all its cracked up to be.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/03/31/liberals-would-lose-official-party-status-if-election-held-today-poll

We'll see how much Patrick Brown can fuck this up

TORONTO - The Kathleen Wynne Liberals would face the humiliating prospect of losing official party status if an election were held now, a new Forum poll projects.

The Liberals are sitting at 19% support, polling third behind the PCs and NDP in the 416 area, and trending to win only seven of 122 seats, Forum Research says.

The Progressive Conservatives are currently enjoying a 24-point lead over the Liberals with 43% of voters who are decided or leaning, which would translate into a strong majority of 86 seats if an election were held today, the poll found.

And the NDP with 28% support would win 29 seats, making it the official opposition.

Lulz at:

When asked which of the current party leaders would make the best premier, the most popular choice was “none” at 30%.

PC Leader Patrick Brown was at 23%, NDP Leader Andrea Horwath at 22% and Wynne at 9%.

49 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Well Wynnebag better get started buying off the public sector, jer work is cut out for her.  Teachers just got or are getting a 4% raise over two years.

Raises for all.

It's started trying to buy the 905ers votes:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/03/31/trudeau-liberals-earmark-18b-in-old-infrastructure-cash-for-go-transit-project.html

“These funds will help improve the lives of millions of Ontarians by making sure that students make it on time to their first job interview, that parents make it home early to help their kids with their homework, that families enjoy what their communities have to offer, whenever they want.”

I doubt who provides the money for the GO trains matters to most riders. Just that there aren't any delays.

isn't this a nice story from empty head:

“These funds will help improve the lives of millions of Ontarians by making sure that students make it on time to their first job interview, that parents make it home early to help their kids with their homework, that families enjoy what their communities have to offer, whenever they want.”

No mention if the useless pair Leal & Monsef have convinced Metrolinx to expand GO train service thru Durham, Kawartha Lake and on to Peterborough. I think those 2 idgits are hoping that VIA gets rail service restarted thru Perth, Tweed and Peterborough. SMH

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/03/31/trudeau-liberals-earmark-18b-in-old-infrastructure-cash-for-go-transit-project.html

So it seems that those living outside of Toronto will be reaping the rewards of Federal transit money to the tune of $1.8B so that they can get to and from those jobs in Toronto. I thought it was only those living in Toronto that got money from the province or the feds.

I've never taken a Go Train and never will. My tax $'s are part of that $1.8B but that's fine. It's just the way the system works.

GO has always mainly served commuters outside the city limits and improving or expanding it is something that has been done by all PM's and Preems.  

Wynnebag has got to do better.

Hey Fail, did you make the list?

18 minutes ago, 02sled said:

So it seems that those living outside of Toronto will be reaping the rewards of Federal transit money to the tune of $1.8B so that they can get to and from those jobs in Toronto. I thought it was only those living in Toronto that got money from the province or the feds.

I've never taken a Go Train and never will. My tax $'s are part of that $1.8B but that's fine. It's just the way the system works.

The current line from the Fiberals is, "We don't need a train to Peterborough because we have GO bus service (w/ an irregular schedule) and soon the 407 will soon connect to the 35/115".

The way the schedule works, sometimes you have to wait an hour and a half for a connection in Oshawa after getting off the train. Cripes, I can be pretty close to Apsley in that time.

Hopefully Leal winds up on his butt on election night next year.

It will be great once the Lakeshore East service is extended to Bowmanville. 

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

The current line from the Fiberals is, "We don't need a train to Peterborough because we have GO bus service (w/ an irregular schedule) and soon the 407 will soon connect to the 35/115".

The way the schedule works, sometimes you have to wait an hour and a half for a connection in Oshawa after getting off the train. Cripes, I can be pretty close to Apsley in that time.

It would likely be a good investment to increase Go Train coverage in general and provide that funding from all levels of government as the required amount is too substantial for anyone level. The only caveat to that is that the ridership warrants the service levels and it is actually going to be used rather than running near empty trains. Something like the Pearson express.

Edited by 02sled

VIA has a pipe dream of relaying the track between Havelock and Perth. I think its 'estimate' is over $4B for the project. Supposed to provide 'slightly quicker' travel times between Toronto & Ottawa when compared to the current route along the CN trackage.

3 hours ago, revrnd said:

This kind of spending is actually really good.  JT is just using funds previously allocated by Harper, however this type of infrastructure spending by government is one of the few areas that's helps overall. 

31 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

This kind of spending is actually really good.  JT is just using funds previously allocated by Harper, however this type of infrastructure spending by government is one of the few areas that's helps overall. 

So if this $1.9 billion was already earmarked and accounted for in Harpers budget projections where did JT spend our $30 billion he has spent above and beyond the balanced budget projections?

4 minutes ago, Sksman said:

So if this $1.9 billion was already earmarked and accounted for in Harpers budget projections where did JT spend our $30 billion he has spent above and beyond the balanced budget projections?

Promoting climate change and women in 3rd world countries.... refugees and as for the rest he likely hasn't the slightest idea since he doesn't really have a plan... likely doesn't care since we will grow from the heart and budgets will balance themselves

38 minutes ago, Sksman said:

budgets and deficits are monies spent during a year period,  earmarked doesn't mean its sitting in a bank waiting, this 1.9 billion is this years budget spending.

so when a government says "we are giving 10 billon over the next 10 years"  that is a billion for every years budget not 10 billion from one budget

12 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

budgets and deficits are monies spent during a year period,  earmarked doesn't mean its sitting in a bank waiting, this 1.9 billion is this years budget spending.

so when a government says "we are giving 10 billon over the next 10 years"  that is a billion for every years budget not 10 billion from one budget

OK, but it was not a new initiative. 

5 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Hey Fail, did you make the list?

No

The list is stupid and was setup for 100K in 1996 witch would make it today minimum of 150K to make the list.  Meaning an 85% decrease in the number of people on that list.

It also includes overtime and pay duties, more dumbness

it will not be more than a few years where ever single cop and teacher make the list - retarded

12 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

No

The list is stupid and was setup for 100K in 1996 witch would make it today minimum of 150K to make the list.  Meaning an 85% decrease in the number of people on that list.

it will not be more than a few years where ever single cop and teacher make the list - retarded

Yep, and she won't raise it because it's a tool that deflects attention away from her, even if it's for a short while.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/sunshine-list-growing-1.4048691

Premier Kathleen Wynne defended the list Thursday, saying it's a matter of "transparency" and that people have a right to know how much Ontario's top earners are taking home.

But with so many names, the list is losing its power, according to Daniel Cohn, an associate professor in the School of Public Policy and Administration at York University.

"It's going to be a phone book for government employees pretty soon," he told CBC Toronto.

Edited by irv

6 minutes ago, irv said:

Yep, and she won't raise it because it's a tool that deflects attention away from her, even if it's for a short while.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/sunshine-list-growing-1.4048691

Premier Kathleen Wynne defended the list Thursday, saying it's a matter of "transparency" and that people have a right to know how much Ontario's top earners are taking home.

But with so many names, the list is losing its power, according to Daniel Cohn, an associate professor in the School of Public Policy and Administration at York University.

"It's going to be a phone book for government employees pretty soon," he told CBC Toronto.

Why not just post the wages of all employees if this is about transparency and the right to know.... 

now all people talk about is "another 8000 added" blah blah

the list should only have 20k people on it not 125k - this was originally setup for management and other execs and not for the regular worker.

look at a hydro worker that goes out to fix power after a storm making overtime gets punished by printing his/her name on a list meant to be about the greedy overpaid.  On that note I hope you made the list for your sake lol

1 minute ago, 1trailmaker said:

Why not just post the wages of all employees if this is about transparency and the right to know.... 

now all people talk about is "another 8000 added" blah blah

the list should only have 20k people on it not 125k - this was originally setup for management and other execs and not for the regular worker.

look at a hydro worker that goes out to fix power after a storm making overtime gets punished by printing his/her name on a list meant to be about the greedy overpaid.  On that note I hope you made the list for your sake lol

I hear ya, Trail.

First time for me in 34 years, and I am barley over. I worked over 250 hrs of O.T. but it's funny how that is conveniently left out.  :news:

Today, the Government of Ontario published the Public Sector Salary Disclosure files for all public sector employers, including OPG. The information provided by OPG is on the Ministry of Finance website along with salary disclosure for other sectors such as hospitals, universities and the Ontario Public Service.

Each year, there is media coverage around this, and we can expect more this year due to increased attention on hydro prices.

Here are some facts to share with neighbours or friends who ask about OPG:

·         OPG provides about half of the province’s electricity and does so at a cost that’s 40 per cent less than other generators. This allows us to moderate customer bills, and put another way, OPG provides about half the power, but is less than 20 per cent of the average customer’s bill.

·         OPG is the most complex electricity generator in Canada, operating one of the largest nuclear generation fleets in North America, in one of the most heavily regulated industries in the world.

·         We have to compete with other large electricity producers and industries outside the sector, which are also seeking access to the small group of highly skilled executives and employees needed to lead and operate our stations in an industry like ours.

·         We are a very high-tech industry requiring highly skilled and qualified engineers, professionals, scientists and skilled tradespersons.

·         We need staff to work 24/7, 365 days a year.

OPG is required to participate in this annual process under the Public Sector Salary Disclosure Act (PSSDA). In accordance with the Act, OPG must provide an alphabetical listing of all employees whose T4 amounts (including base salary and taxable benefits) met or exceeded $100,000. The Act does not authorize disclosure of the breakdown of specific benefits, such as overtime and shift premiums, which in the case of OPG, are fundamental to our safe and reliable operation on a 24-hour, 7-day-a-week basis.

5 minutes ago, irv said:

I hear ya, Trail.

First time for me in 34 years, and I am barley over. I worked over 250 hrs of O.T. but it's funny how that is conveniently left out.  :news:

Today, the Government of Ontario published the Public Sector Salary Disclosure files for all public sector employers, including OPG. The information provided by OPG is on the Ministry of Finance website along with salary disclosure for other sectors such as hospitals, universities and the Ontario Public Service.

Each year, there is media coverage around this, and we can expect more this year due to increased attention on hydro prices.

Here are some facts to share with neighbours or friends who ask about OPG:

·         OPG provides about half of the province’s electricity and does so at a cost that’s 40 per cent less than other generators. This allows us to moderate customer bills, and put another way, OPG provides about half the power, but is less than 20 per cent of the average customer’s bill.

·         OPG is the most complex electricity generator in Canada, operating one of the largest nuclear generation fleets in North America, in one of the most heavily regulated industries in the world.

·         We have to compete with other large electricity producers and industries outside the sector, which are also seeking access to the small group of highly skilled executives and employees needed to lead and operate our stations in an industry like ours.

·         We are a very high-tech industry requiring highly skilled and qualified engineers, professionals, scientists and skilled tradespersons.

·         We need staff to work 24/7, 365 days a year.

OPG is required to participate in this annual process under the Public Sector Salary Disclosure Act (PSSDA). In accordance with the Act, OPG must provide an alphabetical listing of all employees whose T4 amounts (including base salary and taxable benefits) met or exceeded $100,000. The Act does not authorize disclosure of the breakdown of specific benefits, such as overtime and shift premiums, which in the case of OPG, are fundamental to our safe and reliable operation on a 24-hour, 7-day-a-week basis.

on the list is an OPG "janitor" as they put it made 105k :lmao:  I am going to bet he/she isn't cleaning an office at night but more likely running steam plant or moved to an supervisory job. 

just dumb made for the dumb

54 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

No

Oh, I agree the list should be raised to 150k.  It's lost its original meaning. 

1 hour ago, 1trailmaker said:

on the list is an OPG "janitor" as they put it made 105k :lmao:  I am going to bet he/she isn't cleaning an office at night but more likely running steam plant or moved to an supervisory job. 

just dumb made for the dumb

Like I mentioned in another post/thread, people (the public) get peed at the amount of employees and the cost associated with that amount of employees. Company, from direction of the Gov't lay off/retire said employees and never rehire. The same amount of work still exists but because it is done with fewer employees, and needs to be done, O.T. is made available to the tune of 400 hrs a year (for public sector employees (Gov't restriction) but wide open/unlimited for contractors:news:) so then when an employee makes over a $100 g's, those same people who were bitching about the amount of employees are now bitching again because said employees made over a $100 g's. :snack:

On top of that, because these positions can't just be forgotten about and not staffed, they hire multiple contractors to do the same job as one or a few did before. The smoke and mirrors part is, the contractors are not public sector employees and therefore don't make the sunshine list but cost the company/Gov't 2-3 times as much as they did with the full time employee. :news:

Edited by irv

16 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Ok guys let's not get to carried away.  Lol. 

If you only knew. :news: 

These contractors are not only brought in basically untrained, but for some, it is their first time ever working at a Nuclear Plant. 

I don't care how good, talented, or skilled you are (those are few and far between nowadays) nothing beats years of experience. But in order to hopefully obtain that experience and keep incidents, accidents at a minimum, they throw more people (contractors) at the jobs, which, of course, costs a lot more money, in hopes that more people doing less work will make fewer mistakes. (hence my comment above).