Check your account email address ×

Ontario has gone to hell under NinnyBag

Momorider

3 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I know, but we pay more than the MIL living in the city and her house is worth (use worth loosely) a fair bit more.

I don't disagree. The mill rates set by many of the municipalities outside of Toronto can and will result in higher property taxes on a lesser valued property. One of our vacant lots in Port Severn has a much higher mill rate than our home in Toronto.

Just what happens when there are few commercial properties and lower densities to split the property tax burden across. The Mississauga property taxes for the site I managed was $85K per year and going up.

42 minutes ago, 02sled said:

I don't disagree. The mill rates set by many of the municipalities outside of Toronto can and will result in higher property taxes on a lesser valued property. One of our vacant lots in Port Severn has a much higher mill rate than our home in Toronto.

Just what happens when there are few commercial properties and lower densities to split the property tax burden across. The Mississauga property taxes for the site I managed was $85K per year and going up.

Taxes on commercial in Vaughan are high as well even though there is quite a large industrial park here.

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

Then stop asking Ontario to pay for your shit if you are not under taxed you entitled Torontonian.  subsidize our Transit, pay for our Gardiner to be fixed, charge commuters to enter your under taxed zone.  I guess you don't watch the news often eh!

Do you pay 7k for your taxes? no because  you are under taxed plain and simple, without even seeing your house I know its 800 to 1 million.  your rate needs to increase .4 a minimum to even think of paying for your own shit

fuck are you out to lunch

Edited by 1trailmaker

1 hour ago, 1trailmaker said:

Then stop asking Ontario to pay for your shit if you are not under taxed you entitled Torontonian.  subsidize our Transit, pay for our Gardiner to be fixed, charge commuters to enter your under taxed zone.  I guess you don't watch the news often eh!

Do you pay 7k for your taxes? no because  you are under taxed plain and simple, without even seeing your house I know its 800 to 1 million.  your rate needs to increase .4 a minimum to even think of paying for your own shit

fuck are you out to lunch

Dumb as a stump Fail strikes again. I'm not asking anyone to pay for anything. Some of our politicians are though but that doesn't mean I agree with it either. I'm all in favour of letting the users pay for or minimally pay for a much larger portion of what they use. The public pools, hockey arenas, libraries and more that I will never use but still pay for. I don't use TTC either but subsidize it regardless. TTC rates are way too low. $3.25 and ride from virtually anywhere in the city to any other point in the city. Let them pay a lot closer to what it actually costs.

Capture1.JPG.c053d24ab3e723e51a74ab6f778adcce.JPG

How about all the things that are subsidized where you live by those living in Toronto though. You know all those things paid for at the provincial level... The vast bulk of tax revenue for the province of Ontario comes from where? Wait for it.... Toronto. So let us in Toronto keep the portion of provincial taxes we pay that is spent in your community and we can pay for the TTC. Don't forget that road you drive on to get to the cottage has a much greater portion of it paid for by residents of Toronto than by residents of your community. I would put money on it that the province (Toronto taxpayers included) subsidize things in your community as well.

Should highways be paid for by the province or the municipality they run through?

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

Dumb as a stump Fail strikes again. I'm not asking anyone to pay for anything. Some of our politicians are though but that doesn't mean I agree with it either. I'm all in favour of letting the users pay for or minimally pay for a much larger portion of what they use. The public pools, hockey arenas, libraries and more that I will never use but still pay for. I don't use TTC either but subsidize it regardless. TTC rates are way too low. $3.25 and ride from virtually anywhere in the city to any other point in the city. Let them pay a lot closer to what it actually costs.

Capture1.JPG.c053d24ab3e723e51a74ab6f778adcce.JPG

How about all the things that are subsidized where you live by those living in Toronto though. You know all those things paid for at the provincial level... The vast bulk of tax revenue for the province of Ontario comes from where? Wait for it.... Toronto. So let us in Toronto keep the portion of provincial taxes we pay that is spent in your community and we can pay for the TTC. Don't forget that road you drive on to get to the cottage has a much greater portion of it paid for by residents of Toronto than by residents of your community. I would put money on it that the province (Toronto taxpayers included) subsidize things in your community as well.

Should highways be paid for by the province or the municipality they run through?

you do know KINGs highways were given to the municipalities 20 years ago?  We have no transit at all because we can't afford it, there is no magic funding.

Parrot says what " we are the economic center give us money"  you repeated exactly what I said :lmao: 

02sled

under taxed and still crying - answer my question, do you pay 7k taxes yes or no?

54 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

you do know KINGs highways were given to the municipalities 20 years ago?  We have no transit at all because we can't afford it, there is no magic funding.

Parrot says what " we are the economic center give us money"  you repeated exactly what I said :lmao: 

02sled

under taxed and still crying - answer my question, do you pay 7k taxes yes or no?

So you're suggesting that the 401 where it runs through Toronto is maintained by the city. How about the 400, hwy 11. give it a rest Fail... your idiocy is shining through. Some hwy's were downloaded by the province to municipalities and are in fact now typically referred to as CR#

What I said dumb as a stump was that the total tax burden in Toronto is heavily borne by the commercial and industrial property taxes and high densities which lessen the burden on the residential portion. If your municipality had higher densities and more commercial properties you too would see your residential taxes go down.

Admit it Fail... you were wrong... there isn't any $1M homes in Toronto paying $3K in taxes. As for my home I pay the current mill rate based on the assessed value which is not $1M.

Edited by 02sled

8 minutes ago, 02sled said:

So you're suggesting that the 401 where it runs through Toronto is maintained by the city. How about the 400, hwy 11. give it a rest Fail... your idiocy is shining through. Some hwy's were downloaded by the province to municipalities and are in fact now typically referred to as CR#

What I said dumb as a stump was that the total tax burden in Toronto is heavily borne by the commercial and industrial property taxes and high densities which lessen the burden on the residential portion. If your municipality had higher densities and more commercial properties you too would see your residential taxes go down.

Admit it Fail... you were wrong... there isn't any $1M homes in Toronto paying $3K in taxes. As for my home I pay the current mill rate based on the assessed value which is not $1M.

right your house is worth 1 million now like almost every house in Toronto and paying on 400k value - thanks for playing.  Mill rate too low = beg for money every night on the news.

Calagry Vancouver, Edmonton, Montreal, Winnipeg, Regina all pay more than Toronto -  you are under taxed end of story

by the way hwy 11 is now county road 4 here and country road xx anywhere the extension isn't.  Same goes for hwy 27, 24 26, 12 all county roads now ,the list goes on and on

stop your whining for money its sickening

wrong again Fail... it would be nice if the house was worth $1M but it isn't. There is a large variance in Toronto prices relative to the part of Toronto you're in. A huge difference between property values of Yonge & Avenue Rd versus Kipling and Eglington just as an example.

And what CR is hwy 11 as it runs between say Barrie and Orillia or Orillia and Gravenhurst and changes counties. I wonder why the mayors of those towns have been complaining to the province about poor highway maintenance levels if it is in fact their responsibility. It is also known under it's original name Yonge St. in many locales but when you get outside of there it defaults back to the province 

You seem to have ignored who is responsible for North Americas busiest highway, the 401.

Wrong again eh Fail....

Edited by 02sled

4 hours ago, 02sled said:

Even though I don't fully agree with how Fail gets there, he is right that Toronto Realty tax payers do pay less than there fair share of taxes in Toronto. Toronto has always charged higher commercial taxes because businesses don't get a vote, property owners do. Years ago Toronto complained that too many businesses were leaving and going to the suburbs were their taxes were lower. The province did step in and set limits as to how much commercial rates could be raised. They still pay more than their fair share but it is not quite so bad. Toronto, however, then complained that it was not fair to set limits on commercial taxes. Toronto politicians need to grow some balls and set realistic (ie higher) realty mill rates.

15 minutes ago, MuskokaGator said:

Even though I don't fully agree with how Fail gets there, he is right that Toronto Realty tax payers do pay less than there fair share of taxes in Toronto. Toronto has always charged higher commercial taxes because businesses don't get a vote, property owners do. Years ago Toronto complained that too many businesses were leaving and going to the suburbs were their taxes were lower. The province did step in and set limits as to how much commercial rates could be raised. They still pay more than their fair share but it is not quite so bad. Toronto, however, then complained that it was not fair to set limits on commercial taxes. Toronto politicians need to grow some balls and set realistic (ie higher) realty mill rates.

Would you tell me why there needs to be a higher mill rate on residential property taxes. They have a budget and they set the mill rate to fulfill that budget.

Toronto City Council has approved a 2017 tax-supported operating budget of $10.5 billion and a 10-year capital budget and plan of $26.5 billion.

If the city is collecting those $B's in property taxes and they are fulfilling the budget why do they need to collect a larger amount. Give them a budget surplus and as typical government bureaucrats they would find ways to waste the money. There is a prevailing concept of you spend every penny whether you need to or not because if you have money left over at the end of the year you will get less the following year.

10 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Would you tell me why there needs to be a higher mill rate on residential property taxes. They have a budget and they set the mill rate to fulfill that budget.

Toronto City Council has approved a 2017 tax-supported operating budget of $10.5 billion and a 10-year capital budget and plan of $26.5 billion.

If the city is collecting those $B's in property taxes and they are fulfilling the budget why do they need to collect a larger amount. Give them a budget surplus and as typical government bureaucrats they would find ways to waste the money. There is a prevailing concept of you spend every penny whether you need to or not because if you have money left over at the end of the year you will get less the following year.

There are 2 mill rates, realty and commercial. The City has always set the commercial rate higher than realty. Sounds fair right? Why shouldn't business pay more? Toronto sets its budget and collects what it needs but businesses are paying more than there fair share. They need to raise realty rate and lower commercial rate and collect the same amount of money.

Its amazing how many 905ers and 705ers commute to Toronto for one of the better paying Toronto jobs and then cry and whine and complain about the lower costs of the city and what the taxpayers in Toronto pay.

Its simple.  Move to Toronto for the lower taxes and no commute for your job.

Fail you are number one on the list!

11 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Its amazing how many 905ers and 705ers commute to Toronto for one of the better paying Toronto jobs and then cry and whine and complain about the lower costs of the city and what the taxpayers in Toronto pay.

Its simple.  Move to Toronto for the lower taxes and no commute for your job.

Fail you are number one on the list!

I just stated they are under taxed and that is the reason Toronto falls behind most large cities.  1 subway stop is a huge deal so huge they beg the Ontario tax payers to pay the bill.  I would have stayed there if I wanted too but chose not too

They don't want to charge more so they come up with ideas like Tolls and now taxing empty homes - pathetic all the crying

I don't even complain about my high tax bills I pay with next to zero services

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

As a small business owner in this province for the last 23 years I cringe when I read stories like this. Payroll taxes are another cost that have been climbing slowly but steadily here as well. I enjoy the freedom that comes with being the owner however I feel the deck is slowly being stacked against me. I have watched as other businesses similar to mine have closed shop and others are throwing good money after bad in order to keep their doors open and hope for a turnaround . I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel considering our current leadership.

54 minutes ago, MuskokaGator said:

There are 2 mill rates, realty and commercial. The City has always set the commercial rate higher than realty. Sounds fair right? Why shouldn't business pay more? Toronto sets its budget and collects what it needs but businesses are paying more than there fair share. They need to raise realty rate and lower commercial rate and collect the same amount of money.

I know commercial rates are much higher but that really is the wy it's done in essentially all municipalities. Our cottage country township has always used the lack of commercial property to justify the residential mill rate saying if they had more industry they would be able to drive the residential lower. Or perhaps in those outside of Toronto they could increase the insanely low rate for property deemed agricultural and lower the residential. I know of an example where the property owner rents his fields to a local farmer to grow hay. He works in sales. Because there is a crop taken off the field and revenue generated he pays peanuts on his p taxes with a property just north of Brampton valued at approximately $3.5 M

5 minutes ago, Pt3189 said:

As a small business owner in this province for the last 23 years I cringe when I read stories like this. Payroll taxes are another cost that have been climbing slowly but steadily here as well. I enjoy the freedom that comes with being the owner however I feel the deck is slowly being stacked against me. I have watched as other businesses similar to mine have closed shop and others are throwing good money after bad in order to keep their doors open and hope for a turnaround . I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel considering our current leadership.

This was on the News this week:

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2017/03/28/popular-steakhouse-rolands-to-close-in-april-after-a-half-century-in-peterborough

1 minute ago, 02sled said:

I know commercial rates are much higher but that really is the wy it's done in essentially all municipalities. Our cottage country township has always used the lack of commercial property to justify the residential mill rate saying if they had more industry they would be able to drive the residential lower. Or perhaps in those outside of Toronto they could increase the insanely low rate for property deemed agricultural and lower the residential. I know of an example where the property owner rents his fields to a local farmer to grow hay. He works in sales. Because there is a crop taken off the field and revenue generated he pays peanuts on his p taxes with a property just north of Brampton valued at approximately $3.5 M

Vaughan, Durham, Peel ect are not farm communities and have large business and citizen populations - they all pay higher rates

under taxed

9 minutes ago, revrnd said:

:dunno:

"It's the opportunity that came along - it's brutally fast "

He cashed out - I say good for him - the food business is tough in rural areas  and as he said poorly located... take the money run

we all know hydro is high, its high for everybody - moot point

Edited by 1trailmaker

17 minutes ago, Pt3189 said:

sounds like you might be last man standing - Seems you are running things better than them :good:

keep going as you won't like working for someone else

46 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

Vaughan, Durham, Peel ect are not farm communities and have large business and citizen populations - they all pay higher rates

under taxed

Stop being an idiot Fail. Sure they have large business but no where near the density of commercial properties as Toronto or the density of residential either. You really should be tested. 

42 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

:dunno:

"It's the opportunity that came along - it's brutally fast "

He cashed out - I say good for him - the food business is tough in rural areas  and as he said poorly located... take the money run

we all know hydro is high, its high for everybody - moot point

And business won't be seeing the hydro rate cuts that residential will. So much for you being informed. 

40 minutes ago, 02sled said:

And business won't be seeing the hydro rate cuts that residential will. So much for you being informed. 

and every business is in the same boat, you survive or you don't.

Some interesting times coming up. million to buy a home, stagnate wages, 140 dollar cell phone bill to pay

you think a change of government will change this?

49 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Stop being an idiot Fail. Sure they have large business but no where near the density of commercial properties as Toronto or the density of residential either. You really should be tested. 

you are under taxed

Vaughan, Durham, Peel - over taxed