Check your account email address ×

Holy Shit Credit card rates!,,

1 minute ago, DISABLED DAVE said:

I had a 05 mach z...lots were blowing up...mine didnt...i considered that lucky.

Hahaha. Same with the pre ‘13 Poos. If you didnt shit a motor in 1200 miles you were one lucky sob. 

I buy new cars, mile them up and sell them. The last 2 I got about 50-55% of the cost new when I sold them. I don’t usually buy the pimped out ones so I do ok. I don’t live that large so I can afford new.

1 hour ago, revkevsdi said:

It's nice that people like Debtor Dave is paying for our credit card perks. 

Debtor Dave might be a better handle. 

I guess your aren't paying attention. No debt, lots of time off and disposable income. Our cars and trucks are 2008, 2012, 2017 and 2017. All owned outright.  When we were starting out, it was old cars and sleds, working long hours and mostly camping vacations. 

You might want to watch the stocks today.  Over 600 points down.  At what point to the margins get called?

You're worried about depreciation on a sled your don't own instead instead of the lost gains each year that could likely purchase 15-20 news sleds.

Not having debt is great. Spending what you can afford to get the things you want is also great. What do you do with all that money you saved by driving old beaters, not betting the things you want and is sitting in the bank when you're dead and gone?

When I'm dead and gone if I do things right there won't be very much left over at all. I will have spent it all and had a hell of a good time doing it. At some point I plan on a reverse mortgage to spend the equity in the house as well.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Not having debt is great. Spending what you can afford to get the things you want is also great. What do you do with all that money you saved by driving old beaters, not betting the things you want and is sitting in the bank when you're dead and gone?

When I'm dead and gone if I do things right there won't be very much left over at all. I will have spent it all and had a hell of a good time doing it. At some point I plan on a reverse mortgage to spend the equity in the house as well.

If I do things right, I’ll have traveled the world, kayaked, boarded, surfed and sledded all A’s much as my body could take, when I dead and gone there will be millions left for my grand kids. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

I have a visa I didn’t use a lot. Small purchases maybe up to a grand. Paid it off in full every month like clock work. 

one month I maxed it out on heavy equipment parts. Around 10k. Got the bill, sent the cheque. Just like usual 

next month huge interest charges. Called them and they said I was a few days late. Bullshit. Too convenient. Told them to cancel the card but they reversed the charges instead 

Some cards are on a 25 day billing cycle. To try and fuck you.

1 hour ago, revkevsdi said:

If I do things right, I’ll have traveled the world, kayaked, boarded, surfed and sledded all A’s much as my body could take, when I dead and gone there will be millions left for my grand kids. 

What are you going to name that fictional novel? 

2 hours ago, 02sled said:

I agree you don’t want to be the richest guy in the cemetery 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 02sled said:

I saved for 35 years and retired at 55 and started traveling the world and the country. When not traveling I spend almost as many waking hour with my grandkids as their parents do.  We trade time for money so that we can have money in our free time. You never know how many spins you will get on this old dirt ball.  I chose to save early so I could see the world before I got too old. Doesnt work for everyone but it seemed to work for me. 

Edited by AKIQPilot
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 02sled said:

There are also people who like driving something other than an old beater. Myself I like all the creature comforts and technology that are part of the newer trucks. Try and tell me that a 16 year old truck hasn't needed some significant work over all those years.

To me a vehicle is to get from point A to point B and when all that technology fails it's expensive to repair. I consider significant work to be internal engine or transmission and my 16 yr. old shitbox has had none of that.......brakes, tires, ball joints, wheel bearings and coil packs is about it and I did the repairs myself and even taking it to a shop, those repairs are pretty insignificant. It's been a great truck.......I mean shitbox.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

To me a vehicle is to get from point A to point B

A lot of people think this way. For some it’s much more. We’re all wired a little different.

:bc: 

• Like 1

I did a little updating on the house. I put $10k on one credit card and then transferred it over to another that has 0% interest through August 2019. Then I closed the first card. Cost me $100 transfer fee. Now I still have that $10k to keep invested for 18 months. Nice. 

3 hours ago, 02sled said:

same,  my parents did a reverse as well when they bought their retirement home in heavens waiting room so they have more to spend on themselves.  they owe me nothing when they die.  

• Like 1

Debt free here!! I shouldn't be though, I should be in debt with a new sled in the garage!! I ran credit cards for many years then 5 years ago I got rid of them!! My wallets so empty I don't know why I carry it!! All that's in there is my fishing license, drivers license, health card, 1 debit card and a 20. It ridiculous, you know what though, I got that credit karma app, so I go and look at my scores and it's fun to see I owe nothing. That and I keep my paychecks to do what I want with and I've got the satisfaction of knowing if I want something I can get it!! 

13 hours ago, Jet said:

Debt free here!! I shouldn't be though, I should be in debt with a new sled in the garage!! I ran credit cards for many years then 5 years ago I got rid of them!! My wallets so empty I don't know why I carry it!! All that's in there is my fishing license, drivers license, health card, 1 debit card and a 20. It ridiculous, you know what though, I got that credit karma app, so I go and look at my scores and it's fun to see I owe nothing. That and I keep my paychecks to do what I want with and I've got the satisfaction of knowing if I want something I can get it!! 

That's exactly how I like to be.

12 minutes ago, racer254 said:

That's exactly how I like to be.

Pretty hard to buy shit online without a cc...i guess theres paypal...can you use paypal for reservations for hotels rental car etc etc? :lol:

17 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

I saved for 35 years and retired at 55 and started traveling the world and the country. When not traveling I spend almost as many waking hour with my grandkids as their parents do.  We trade time for money so that we can have money in our free time. You never know how many spins you will get on this old dirt ball.  I chose to save early so I could see the world before I got too old. Doesnt work for everyone but it seemed to work for me. 

I did my traveling when I was young. Riding cross country motorcycle when I was younger allowed me to see a good portion of the US, Mexico, and Canada. I’m fortunate to have toured Mexico when I did. It’s really a beautiful place. My ex-brother in law is a film maker and lives in London. That gave me an opportunity to see Europe on the cheap. I really don’t have the itch to travel these days. I like being a grandfather and the younger girlfriend keeps me on the move. Work just keeps getting more rewarding and fun. I’m supposed to retire in another 13 months. I don’t know at this point. 

18 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

I hear what you are saying... I retired at 59. At one point in time I thought I would work until 70 because I liked what I was doing and the best part was my boss was in Plano Texas. Changes in responsibilities, increasing business travel which would keep me away from home much more and seeing friends not get to enjoy their retirement due to health issues and more prompted me to change my mind. I believe we had struck a happy balance between working, saving and spending to enjoy life before retiring. There isn't really anyhting I wanted that I didn't have.

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

I hear what you are saying... I retired at 59. At one point in time I thought I would work until 70 because I liked what I was doing and the best part was my boss was in Plano Texas. Changes in responsibilities, increasing business travel which would keep me away from home much more and seeing friends not get to enjoy their retirement due to health issues and more prompted me to change my mind. I believe we had struck a happy balance between working, saving and spending to enjoy life before retiring. There isn't really anyhting I wanted that I didn't have.

Oh man, I agree 100%. I was in a similar situation. I liked my job, could do it in my sleep, made my boss look good every single day and was very well compensated for my effort. During my 35 years of employment I lived life to the fullest. Cessna 185 on floats sitting in front of the house. Multi time state champ in Blown Alcoloh Dragster.  Multi time state champ SnoX racer.  Multi time state champ ATV racer. We traveled all over North America visiting friends and family vacations. My wife was a stay at home mom the entire time. She managed the household budget 100%. But fancy cars and trucks with payments was never something that I was interested in. For whatever reason it just never appealed to me. I guess I had way too many expensive addictions so I couldnt fit a new car/truck payment into the budget. 

I meant to mention bank cards. Not sure if I did or not.  But our bank has just changed the exchange rate on atm machine. 

They charge their exchange rate plus 3%. + a percentage on whatever atm fee there is.  

I just skimmed the letter but if they had 1/2 point spread on the exchange  then they make 3-1/2%  in Canada unless it’s one of 5 major currencies they will exchange it to US dollars first the. To Canadian.   So if you are getting $100.00 worth of Argentinian pesos from a bank machine. They could conceivably  be taking $9.00 in fees. 

Which is another reason to use your credit card as much as possible. 

While I’m in bank bitching mode. They do something else to skim from us. I cashed out a cashable gic to buy some property for our new business. They said it will take up 3 days to settle. I gave instructions to have the funds transferred to our other bank on Thursday if they were available. They didn’t show up until today. One full week to get access to a cashable gic.

Think of the banks having use of everyone’s money interest free for 5 days.  They probably use that as. Float against the credit card debt.