Check your account email address ×

So .....got rang the fuck up at work

f7ben

4 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Careful out their Ben, a friend of mine was killed in a powerline accident.  

For sure.....line voltage work is a dangerous gig....I've done some cover up and station training and I like it

4 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

480 is some deadly shit for sure.  Prolly the voltage that kills the most.

What kind of safety gear did you have on?  all the shields and arc/flash garb?

110v kills way more than any other voltage I think but 480v is a deadly equipment level voltage for sure. I wasnt wearing any cat 2 gear .....I wasnt doing any hot work nor was I knowingly violating the RAB .....I had safety glasses and 13cal FR clothes on ......I cant work in hot gloves. Its not me. Technically by the rules I may have needed Cat II gear but nodoby I know would have had gloves and a shield on doing what I was doing 

4 minutes ago, Momorider said:

110 can still kill even cheap dumb fucking Jew fucks like you :finger: 

yes....120v is the most deadly voltage out there 

Edited by f7ben

Just now, f7ben said:

For sure.....line voltage work is a dangerous gig....I've done some cover up and station training and I like it

110v kills way more than any other voltage I think but 480v is a deadly distribution voltage for sure. I wasnt wearing any cat 2 gear .....I wasnt doing any hot work nor was I knowingly violating the RAB .....I had safety glasses and 13cal FR clothes on ......I cant work in hot gloves. Its not me. Technically by the rules I may have needed Cat II gear but nodoby I know would have had gloves and a shield on doing what I was doing 

We have to have some crazy gloves at work now because of the hybrids .  The is some special procedure we have to go through to get someone off of one of those things if they fry themselves

Just now, Sal Rosenberg said:

We have to have some crazy gloves at work now because of the hybrids .  The is some special procedure we have to go through to get someone off of one of those things if they fry themselves

Low voltage but massively high available fault current with those battery banks......there is enough energy there to make that car a ball of flame 

Glad your OK Ben. In my almost 40 years of working in the electrical industry I know 10 people that have been involved in bad accidents. 2 are dead, 1 is very disabled, 4 have very bad burns on much of the front of their body and 3 had barely any lasting bad effects. You got lucky.

Be careful, don't ever let your guard down. :bc:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Low voltage but massively high available fault current with those battery banks......there is enough energy there to make that car a ball of flame 

Yeah , all kidding aside those things can be lethal if you don't wtf you are doing , I'll throw some paint at them but that's it , I just don't know enough to be safe

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, f7ben said:

110v kills way more than any other voltage I think but 480v is a deadly equipment level voltage for sure. I wasnt wearing any cat 2 gear .....I wasnt doing any hot work nor was I knowingly violating the RAB .....I had safety glasses and 13cal FR clothes on ......I cant work in hot gloves. Its not me. Technically by the rules I may have needed Cat II gear but nodoby I know would have had gloves and a shield on doing what I was doing 

When concerning tradesman, mostly narrowbacks....  In my apprenticeship If I recall correctly, 480 was the most deadliest of all volts as 480 can easily puncture the skin and let the killwiggles in and cross the heart....  120 for the most part doesn't have the ability puncture skin due to resistance.  Skin resistance is rather high....  Blood and nerves and muscles have no resistance.  

I can see 120 being deadly to the average joe cause they will do stupid shit but the average joe doesn't deal with 480 frequently.

I maybe wrong though

26 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I'd love to take anyone for a tour of the place I work.....its so cool. I wouldnt call it dangerous but there is 1000 ways to die any given day for any of us working there. You just have to be diligent in looking out for situations that could hurt you 

Sounds like a blast... and you stay there why?

i Hhate getting zapped. Fts 

Glad you are ok Ben. Who the Fuck tapes up wires? Capped or wire nutted at a minimum. The  factory ABB drive start up tech got arc flashed on my job a few years ago. The dumb ass kept standing in front of the drives when we initialized the power. We kept telling him to step to the side. The brand new 100hp drive came unglued. He was lucky with only minor injuries.

IMG_3854.JPG

21 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Aren't those mid voltages 480, 550, 600 bad cuz you stick to those were 110, 220 you can pull off and those high voltages 14,400 + blow you off  :dunno: 

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, Momorider said:

Aren't those mid voltages 480, 550, 600 bad cuz you stick to those were 110, 220 you can pull off and those high voltages 14,400 + blow you off  :dunno: 

Quick google.  99% of the bodies resistance is in the skin.  Resistance can vary based on location...  Callused up hand will have more resistance to current flow then say the taint....  If the conditions were right and you have no resistance....  Open wound, standing in water ect ect you may not be able to let go on 120...

480 is a voltage that can blow a hole in your skin and let the killlyawiggles inside the body...  Its only like 100th of an amp to fuck the heart if it goes across the heart 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2763825/

At 500 V or more, high resistance in the outer layer of the skin breaks down.3 This lowers the body's resistance to current flow greatly. The result is an increase in the amount of current that flows with any given voltage. Areas of skin breakdown are sometimes pinhead-sized wounds that can be easily overlooked. They are often a sign that a large amount of current could enter the body. This current can be expected to result in deep tissue injury to muscles, nerves, and other structures. This is one reason why there is often significant deep tissue injury little in the way of skin burns with high-voltage injuries.

5 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

How many times did you get belted when you were a sparky ?  And I'm not talking about the boss or someone in the lunchroom either :lol:  :bc:

Once real bad. Working on a live panel...all I saw was white for few minutes. Singed my eyesbrows. :lol:

Bro I know exactly how that feels. Being in demolition I have been hit like that several times. I got shocked so hard one time my bones shook. Also had the arc flash in my face one time, 2 days after I had eye surgery. But as far as life and death experience those don't even rank in the top 10. I have buried 2 of my coworkers, both working a few feet away from me when shit went down. People think I'm overly cautious about safety, I don't ever want to go to another coworkers or employees funeral. 480v ain't nothing to fuck with. Glad your ok. :bc:

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

Working in a drive cabinet my last shift on friday at about 5am. Was done trouble shooting and reached down into the bottom of the cabinet to grab the drive cover that I set down there and got belted hard. It got my left hand and arm and thankfully I wasnt touching anything with my right hand or it could have been bad. I stepped back and collected myself and saw that there was what appeared to be two wires twisted together sticking up bare at the bottom of the cabinet. 

I knew I got belted hard but wanted to know by what voltage to ascertain what my immediate future risk was. I got my meter back out and when I went to check the wire to ground it blew up in my face. Full arc flash...me blind and my meter blown out of my hand. 

Turns out it was two legs of a 480V circuit that had melted their tape off and melted the wire to the point where they werent touching but were very close. I caught both legs with my hand and then when I put my meter on them I shorted them out. 

I ended up going to the emergency room mostly as a precaution where they ran a of of blood and urine work etc.....my labs showed elevated levels of muscle damage so I have to have two liters of fluids through IV to flush my kidneys. I had a nasty burn on my finger

This was the 2nd worst shock I have received and it highlights the danger of working industrial electricity. All of the cabinets on the cranes that are similar were inspected afterwards and the same two wires were found hot and taped in several of them. 

A drive upgrade was done and the old drives had a 480v feed to a fan transformer that the new drives didnt have and these wires were somehow just taped up and overlooked. 

One minute you are minding your own business and the next you could be laying on your ass wondering what the fuck just happened. Mind your P's and Q's boys

Why are you working on live 480? We have 600 here and I won’t go near it lt live with tools 

120 is fine 240 I’ll kill first too 

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

does he have all his body parts?

Yes.  Little flesh from a couple fingers, and the temporary heart blip.  Also some mental desire lost to do that job.  He went through some depression, came out of it, went through the same tech school program I did and is working a pretty decent gig in TV now, like what I used to do.  Pretty proud of him.  :bc:

Neal

Just now, f7ben said:

I have a nice burn to show they did. Lucky my other hand was free or I'd have got it bad

Did I ever tell you the story about my buddy who peed on the electric fence? :lol: