Check your account email address ×

Canadian National Anthem Revised With Gender-Neutral Language

• Platinum Contributing Member

The Canadian national anthem is now more gender-neutral, after a bill that changes the lyrics passed the country's Senate.

The second line of "O Canada," which has said the nation inspires patriotism "in all thy sons," will now read "in all of us."

This has been in the works for a long time. According to the CBC, "Since 1980, when O Canada officially became the country's anthem, 12 bills have been introduced in the House to strip the gendered reference to 'sons,' which some have argued is discriminatory."

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Seems to be a good move.  An anthem should be inclusive.

Neal

I don’t disagree.

2 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Now we just need to scrap the “God keep our land” 

Why does that upset you so? “God” can be whatever you want it to be.

Just now, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

What a fucking beta ass country. 

I don’t disagree.

:lmao:

4 hours ago, Momorider said:

I guess its been changed multiple times in the past so :dunno: 

most people have no idea what has been changed or omitted

O Canada! Where pines and maples grow.
Great prairies spread and lordly rivers flow.
How dear to us thy broad domain,
From East to Western sea.
Thou land of hope for all who toil!
Thou True North, strong and free!
Chorus:
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada! Beneath thy shining skies
May stalwart sons, and gentle maidens rise,
To keep thee steadfast through the years
From East to Western sea.
Our own beloved native land!
Our True North, strong and free!
Chorus
Ruler supreme, who hearest humble prayer,
Hold our Dominion in thy loving care;
Help us to find, O God, in thee
A lasting, rich reward,
As waiting for the better Day,
We ever stand on guard.
Chorus

3 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

Just so you guys know, real Canada does not recognize ontario and Quebec as Canadian. 

Well, then you'll be pleased to know we don't ever think of the frozen middle bits.  

Have you ever been anywhere and had someone say.  "I'm coming to Canada for a vacation, I really want to see bumfuck nowhere Manitoba or Saskatchewan?  

I have to give you kudos on the real Canada moniker. I'm sure you got people thinking we say aboot.

1 hour ago, revkevsdi said:

Well, then you'll be pleased to know we don't ever think of the frozen middle bits.  

Have you ever been anywhere and had someone say.  "I'm coming to Canada for a vacation, I really want to see bumfuck nowhere Manitoba or Saskatchewan?  

I have to give you kudos on the real Canada moniker. I'm sure you got people thinking we say aboot.

None of us real Canadians travel to your feminine shit hole for fun :lol: 

1 hour ago, revkevsdi said:

:news:  

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/01/10/saskatoon-only-canadian-city-on-new-york-times-list-of-52-places-to-visit-in-2018_a_23329860/

Saskatoon Only Canadian City On New York Times' List Of 52 Places To Visit In 2018
Sorry, Toronto.
By Mohamed Omar

Saskatoon made the New York Times' list of the 52 places to visit in 2018.
Many lists of the top cities in the world to visit include Vancouver, Ottawa, Toronto or Montreal.

Not this one.

The New York Times released its list of the 52 places to visit in 2018 on Wednesday, and it only contains one Canadian destination: Saskatoon.
The city came in 18th on the paper's list.

In a blurb, the NYT's Seth Sherwood praises Saskatoon's new Remai Modern museum for its "world-class modernist architecture and an 8,000-work collection."

Cities were picked by the paper's regular contributors, who had to describe why their chosen location was worth visiting this year specifically.

"We also aim for a geographic and thematic diversity," the paper said. "And we look for a mix of destinations both well-known and off the beaten path." That explains why hugely popular spots like London or Paris didn't make the cut.

The NYT's 2017 list, by contrast, named Canada as a whole as the top destination for travellers.

"Canada is huge — the second-largest country by area," the paper said at the time. "It's also a world unto itself, with cosmopolitan cities, barely explored natural wonders and everything in between.

12 hours ago, revkevsdi said:

Hear it alot....plenty of americans come to Saskatchewan to hunt and fish....

You really dont have a clue do you....

3 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Hear it alot....plenty of americans come to Saskatchewan to hunt and fish....

You really dont have a clue do you....

Been to the Ear Falls, Ontario area twice fishing.  Been a long time but I'd like to go back.   When I was there Lake Bluffy had some amazing fishing besides incredible scenery.  

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Been to the Ear Falls, Ontario area twice fishing.  Been a long time but I'd like to go back.   When I was there Lake Bluffy had some amazing fishing besides incredible scenery.  

Thats not Saskatchewan. :wall:

:lol:

2 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Thats not Saskatchewan. :wall:

:lol:

No shit.   Thats why I put Ontario.   Still a pretty low populated area of nookville.