Check your account email address ×

Dow 26,000:

23 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

I get that shit all the time, I run a 35 yr. old family plumbing biz and it isn't fun any more. Most customers don't give a shit about your costs to run a biz, they only care how cheap they can get the material. I won't argue with customers any more, I just agree with them and tell them, yes you can buy the same products online, we've pretty much just become installers and you have to mark your labor up for loss of product sales.

The degree in which customers want a good deal equals the degree in which business owners want as much of the customer’s they can get. 

58 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

The degree in which customers want a good deal equals the degree in which business owners want as much of the customer’s they can get. 

The problem with that is buttercup is that alot of customers are unrealistic on what things should cost, I love saying no to cheap fucks.

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Seriously, most people can't beat 2% and they even pay professionals for that, so it matters little.:lol:

I'm sure many would jump at a 7% GIC regardless if it was in a registered account or not as risk is not in the cards for most.

Were you not able to follow the thread?  It was a hypothetical involving interest rates returning to average amounts.  All through the 80’s people would have jumped at a 7% mortgage and laughed at a 7% gic.  A return to those rates would devastate the housing and stock prices. IMO. 

Or Are you having trouble with the math? Is that why you are avoiding the topic?

1 hour ago, snoughnut said:

I get that shit all the time, I run a 35 yr. old family plumbing biz and it isn't fun any more. Most customers don't give a shit about your costs to run a biz, they only care how cheap they can get the material. I won't argue with customers any more, I just agree with them and tell them, yes you can buy the same products online, we've pretty much just become installers and you have to mark your labor up for loss of product sales.

providing the customer gets it delivered, handles the hassles of defective parts and can wait for the delivery. 

Right now if you supply and install a defective part, you lose on the labour. If they supply it, they pay.  

Also there is down time. We can save a ton on parts buying in bulk but if our machines are down paying for a rush delivery and overtime for repairs is worth it. 

Thst customer with the backfflow preventer wouldn’t have wanted to close his shop for 3 days waiting for a part to ship. 

14 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Were you not able to follow the thread?  It was a hypothetical involving interest rates returning to average amounts.  All through the 80’s people would have jumped at a 7% mortgage and laughed at a 7% gic.  A return to those rates would devastate the housing and stock prices. IMO. 

Or Are you having trouble with the math? Is that why you are avoiding the topic?

The reality is most are very poor managers, but even outside a registered account at a 7% return, that leaves you with 3.5% after tax for high earners and with inflation at 2%, not really gaining shit.  I think you're the one who needs help with real world math.:lol: 

13 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

providing the customer gets it delivered, handles the hassles of defective parts and can wait for the delivery. 

Right now if you supply and install a defective part, you lose on the labour. If they supply it, they pay.  

Also there is down time. We can save a ton on parts buying in bulk but if our machines are down paying for a rush delivery and overtime for repairs is worth it. 

Thst customer with the backfflow preventer wouldn’t have wanted to close his shop for 3 days waiting for a part to ship. 

Would hate to have to deal with retail customers but there are some customers with several billion in sales who are long overdue for upgrades and the components are now obsolete.  (shop on ebay)

If these lines go down, their entire plant production is down and they still don't justify the legacy upgrade.

3 hours ago, snoughnut said:

The problem with that is buttercup is that alot of customers are unrealistic on what things should cost, I love saying no to cheap fucks.

And many business owners take advantages of customers, mr milktoast. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 hours ago, XC.Morrison said:

That's regurgitated news.   I had gotten much out the other day.   Had about 50 shares left in that took a hit.   Amazon will go back up.

Lots of the tech hits is reallocation.  

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Would hate to have to deal with retail customers but there are some customers with several billion in sales who are long overdue for upgrades and the components are now obsolete.  (shop on ebay)

If these lines go down, their entire plant production is down and they still don't justify the legacy upgrade.

We have a few ancient machines but a friendly competitor was dumping his old parts and panels. They had to reduce inventory due to a corporate mandate. We picked them up for next to nothing. We’re better stocked than the manufacturer. 

Now the friendly competitor pays us a premium to run rush orders when their machines are down waiting for parts. I don’t have an MBA so I can’t understand how having your machines down is worth dumping 30 grand in parts for 5 grand cash. 

8 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

We have a few ancient machines but a friendly competitor was dumping his old parts and panels. They had to reduce inventory due to a corporate mandate. We picked them up for next to nothing. We’re better stocked than the manufacturer. 

Now the friendly competitor pays us a premium to run rush orders when their machines are down waiting for parts. I don’t have an MBA so I can’t understand how having your machines down is worth dumping 30 grand in parts for 5 grand cash. 

You really have no idea.

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:
Market Summary > Dow Jones Industrial Average

INDEXDJX: .DJI - Mar 29, 4:46 PM EDT
24,103.11254.69 (1.07%)

I have a gigantic place that needs an irrigation set-up. Know anybody that I can call? 

Just now, Polaris 550 said:

I have a gigantic place that needs an irrigation set-up. Know anybody that I can call? 

Just get a few dozen of the truckers that regularly irrigate your mouth to help 

Just now, f7ben said:

Just get a few dozen of the truckers that regularly irrigate your mouth to help 

What's this trucker shit, you welching faggot? Don't blame me when Auni is in the car screaming, " MOMMY, MOMMY a crazy man in a hood, is beating Daddy with a giant flashlight!! " 

Just now, Polaris 550 said:

What's this trucker shit, you welching faggot? Don't blame me when Auni is in the car screaming, " MOMMY, MOMMY a crazy man in a hood, is beating Daddy with a giant flashlight!! " 

Pay me the money you owe me 

On 3/28/2018 at 1:02 PM, revkevsdi said:

that sort of jump would do more than devastate housing .in fact I don't think it would efect housing much at all . whzt would effect the housing would be to total collapse of the governments ability to cover the interest on the 20 trillion loan 

59 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

that sort of jump would do more than devastate housing .in fact I don't think it would efect housing much at all . whzt would effect the housing would be to total collapse of the governments ability to cover the interest on the 20 trillion loan 

I mentioned the debt earlier. Not sure what the average house price in your area is but anywhere within an hour or so of Toronto they are high. Vancouver is nuts.  Last year semi detached houses got bid up to close to 500 grand. Every percentage on that is major. If you think of the seniors who got burned in 2,000 then again in 2008. A guaranteed 7% might make them jump out of equities for peace of mind. 

11 hours ago, revkevsdi said:

I mentioned the debt earlier. Not sure what the average house price in your area is but anywhere within an hour or so of Toronto they are high. Vancouver is nuts.  Last year semi detached houses got bid up to close to 500 grand. Every percentage on that is major. If you think of the seniors who got burned in 2,000 then again in 2008. A guaranteed 7% might make them jump out of equities for peace of mind. 

Gic's are not going up to 7% unless inflation shoots to 5%, but we do have a Trudeau leading us so it can happen.

On 2018-03-30 at 9:12 AM, ArcticCrusher said:

Gic's are not going up to 7% unless inflation shoots to 5%, but we do have a Trudeau leading us so it can happen.

So you don't think GIC's will ever hit 7% again?

Were you one of the ones that predicted the dow continue until it hit 30,000?

To be fair there was only 3,500 left to climb when you said that.

6,500 is a little more of an obstacle. 

You were one of the first to congratulate Trump when it cleared 26,000.

Is this still Donald's market?

21 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

You and me both. :bc: 

I’m sitting on some cash too. I don’t think we’ve hit bottom yet though.