Check your account email address ×

'Horrible choices': Iowa livestock producers may have to euthanize pigs as packing plants struggle

Just now, Highmark said:

Nope but how is that protein replaced and can the other food groups handle the increased demand. 

Plenty of alternatives to meat based protein. Americans could benefit from just eating less calories anyway. Some people in the food industry are making too much fucking money for there to be food shortages. This thing will be long over before that were to occur anyway. I walk through the grocery store and I see no shortages of food. In fact a lot of stuff is on sale. Like big cuts in prices. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Plenty of alternatives to meat based protein. Americans could benefit from just eating less calories anyway. Some people in the food industry are making too much fucking money for there to be food shortages. This thing will be long over before that were to occur anyway. I walk through the grocery store and I see no shortages of food. In fact a lot of stuff is on sale. Like big cuts in prices. 

Meat isn't the cause of America's obesity problem.   Just wait.....the shortages are coming. 

Need to put a moratorium on exports.   

Edited by Highmark

Just now, Highmark said:

Just wait.   

Exactly what am I waiting for? I keep hearing about these economic, horror movie scenarios. Food shortages. Supply chain breakdowns. Yada yada. No one is starving. 

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Meat isn't the cause of America's obesity problem.   Just wait.....the shortages are coming. 

With restaurants being closed, there’s an amazing surplus. I’m not worried. 

3 hours ago, hayward said:

Can't be many independant pork producers around anymore.  Here in the east, they're all commercially raising for companys like Hatfield.  Max capacity at all times for max production.  This isn't small time farmers anymore that could overcome and adapt to a problem like this a lot easier with having less animals on hand at a given time.  

No no, we had to weed those out of existance.  We need our food supply controlled in a corporate existance only!  MORE MORE MORE CAPACITY!  

And to hell with the small butcher shops as well.  We'll hire govt. inspectors to make it so hard to exist, that eventually, THEY WON'T! 

Capitalism rocks!

Neal

• Gold Member

We should start farmers market (wet markets) that these producers can bring there pigs to for people to purchase.  We have them for fish and seafood in the US so why not have them for livestock?

3 hours ago, Highmark said:

Yep...too much high fructose corn syrup white flour processed bullshit is the real problem.

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

We should start farmers market (wet markets) that these producers can bring there pigs to for people to purchase.  We have them for fish and seafood in the US so why not have them for livestock?

Ezglider would buy up all the hogs to graze his land. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, XC.Morrison said:

Probably so but at least it’ll give the MSM’s something to report on other than 24/7 Corona.  I could also see a spin off Netflix series where EZ opens up Big Pig Rescue, working title “Pig King”.  :lol:

Perhaps there could be a rival outfit headed up by @Wildboer?

I'm too busy trying to start America's first Wet Market dude.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Highmark said:

Posted this weeks ago.   A very good friend and neighbor manages the farrowing operations of a large family hog farm in southern Iowa/Northern, Mo.  

They have a contract with Tyson for 23-26,000 hogs a week.   Texted him last night and as of yesterday they had 23,000 that were past delivery.   Some really tough choices coming up.  

People laughed when I said the NG/Military might need to be called in to keep some of these plants running.    Its not so funny now nor will be when meat prices rise 1-2-3000% on the meat you are lucky to find.    

Talked to another local guy at a convience store who is the mayor of a small town near me.   Local farmers are willing to sell fat hogs to anyone who will take them for $50.00 a head.  

Beyond the obvious health issue the food supply chain is the next biggest issue and is about to get much, much worse. 

That's alot of pork!!

$50.00 a head is cheap at that price I could fuck up 3/4 of the hog before figuring out how to get it right.

I'm guessing a slug down through the skull, a come-along to get it up,  field dress it like a deer, skin it, and use an electric chainsaw to quarter after you take out the backstraps, then get the sawzall and knifes out.

I'm going to need a hand to wrestle fuck that pig after I kill it, we can all share based on effort :bc:

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

That's alot of pork!!

$50.00 a head is cheap at that price I could fuck up 3/4 of the hog before figuring out how to get it right.

I'm guessing a slug down through the skull, a come-along to get it up,  field dress it like a deer, skin it, and use an electric chainsaw to quarter after you take out the backstraps, then get the sawzall and knifes out.

I'm going to need a hand to wrestle fuck that pig after I kill it, we can all share based on effort :bc:

.22 lr to the right location will do the trick.   Not for the weak at heart.   The guys who maintain confinement buildings use to carry one in their truck.   Now they have to use something different.  Think No Country for old Men.   I believe there are electric versions now. 

Process it just like a deer.   Don't need a chainsaw to quarter it out.   Just need to find the right part of the joints to cut.  A sawzall or bypass lopper works too if you are too lazy or incompetent to find the joint.  We usually use them to remove the neck and below the knee joints.   Helps keep the knife sharp as well.   Like you said the cuts don't need to be grocery store quality.   All the trimmings just grind up into sausage.   Nothing better than fresh pork breakfast sausage. 

8 of us boned out 20 deer in about 4 hours this year.   That's with plenty of drinking and grilling up fresh back straps along the way. 

Use to get as many hogs as we would ever need for free when one would break a leg and my buddy was running the confinements around here.   After a few years they stopped allowing it.   This was 8-10 years ago.  Best sandwich I've ever had was a Porchetta smoked fresh out of a hog. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 2

On 4/23/2020 at 7:56 AM, Anler said:

yeah set up carnitas stations all over the country and have the illegals cook them!

All of these people lined up for free food. They could just give each family a pig. I have tremendous ideas.

Just now, Woodtick said:

All of these people lined up for free food. They could just give each family a pig. I have tremendous ideas.

I actually saw a trailer full of baby pigs rolling down I80 yesterday. 

Just now, Anler said:

I actually saw a trailer full of baby pigs rolling down I80 yesterday. 

heading to chicago i hope.  Give everyone in public housing their own pig to butcher.  I'm sure there are still gang banger good with a knife who can start up a butcher business.  

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

heading to chicago i hope.  Give everyone in public housing their own pig to butcher.  I'm sure there are still gang banger good with a knife who can start up a butcher business.  

Maybe who knows. They looked really sad tho. 

Just now, Angry ginger said:

:lol:  You don't butcher baby pigs.   You would get about one meal out of it. 

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

:lol:  You don't butcher baby pigs.   You would get about one meal out of it. 

no shit,  they can fatten them up on twinkies,  stale beer and chips and then kill them when they are bigger and fatter.  About time they started caring for themselves.

On 4/23/2020 at 6:14 AM, hayward said:

Can't be many independant pork producers around anymore.  Here in the east, they're all commercially raising for companys like Hatfield.  Max capacity at all times for max production.  This isn't small time farmers anymore that could overcome and adapt to a problem like this a lot easier with having less animals on hand at a given time.  

No no, we had to weed those out of existance.  We need our food supply controlled in a corporate existance only!  MORE MORE MORE CAPACITY!  

And to hell with the small butcher shops as well.  We'll hire govt. inspectors to make it so hard to exist, that eventually, THEY WON'T! 

Wasn't it about 1993 or 1994 that took out a lot of the independent hog producers?

4 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Wasn't it about 1993 or 1994 that took out a lot of the independent hog producers?

I was gonna say 95, but it could have been 93-94.  I was in college then and some of my classmates came from grain farms that raised hogs and they were all independant small producers.  They all seemed to have just gone out of it.  I think corn at the time was about $4.25, which was alot at the time to be feeding to 35 cent hogs, or whatever they were, it was low.

5 minutes ago, hayward said:

I was gonna say 95, but it could have been 93-94.  I was in college then and some of my classmates came from grain farms that raised hogs and they were all independant small producers.  They all seemed to have just gone out of it.  I think corn at the time was about $4.25, which was alot at the time to be feeding to 35 cent hogs, or whatever they were, it was low.

I remember the summer before, one of my uncles had just built a new 2 barn set-up and was really proud of it.  The next year he turned it over to the bank.

16 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I remember the summer before, one of my uncles had just built a new 2 barn set-up and was really proud of it.  The next year he turned it over to the bank.

Well,  I guess that explains why guys went to contract only, huh?  You remember what the price/pound was at the time it took a shit?  Was it under 35 cents/pound?