Check your account email address ×

'Horrible choices': Iowa livestock producers may have to euthanize pigs as packing plants struggle

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

1 million hogs running wild...seems legit....what could go wrong?  :lmao:

a million no but how many hog farmers do you think are in this countery with plenty of hog yards still open? the plants won't be shut down for ever . my guess less than 20 or 30 days 

he'll I would love a free load of hogs dumped on my land for the summer .

5 hours ago, f7ben said:

Do you have any idea how dumb you sound? How the fuck are you going to claim you can just turn a million hog loose

Wild hogs are tearing up the south, vicious bastards.

3 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

a million no but how many hog farmers do you think are in this countery with plenty of hog yards still open? the plants won't be shut down for ever . my guess less than 20 or 30 days 

he'll I would love a free load of hogs dumped on my land for the summer .

Do the math Ezra:

U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley said Tuesday he's heard estimates that the country has about 100,000 pigs that should be slaughtered each day but aren't. "Apply that over 10 days, and with a million pigs, you’ve got a big problem," the Iowa Republican said in a call with reporters.

7 hours ago, frenchy said:

it really is. The ripple effects just starting to be seen on so many fronts. 

I am so sad. This is just the beginning. This contraction will be mind numbing.
We must polish our plan for reopening to at least slow the hemorrhaging of our economy.  The only way out of this is to push forward on a limited scale with specific restrictions for social and environmental distancing. 

Our nations cant afford to just hunker down and wait it out. The pain will be worse than cancer. 

Can't be many independant pork producers around anymore.  Here in the east, they're all commercially raising for companys like Hatfield.  Max capacity at all times for max production.  This isn't small time farmers anymore that could overcome and adapt to a problem like this a lot easier with having less animals on hand at a given time.  

No no, we had to weed those out of existance.  We need our food supply controlled in a corporate existance only!  MORE MORE MORE CAPACITY!  

And to hell with the small butcher shops as well.  We'll hire govt. inspectors to make it so hard to exist, that eventually, THEY WON'T! 

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
16 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

If you look further into the article some have a spot where they can put the hogs on a diet for a week or so and then comes the decision to kill the hogs or the piglets.

Posted this weeks ago.   A very good friend and neighbor manages the farrowing operations of a large family hog farm in southern Iowa/Northern, Mo.  

They have a contract with Tyson for 23-26,000 hogs a week.   Texted him last night and as of yesterday they had 23,000 that were past delivery.   Some really tough choices coming up.  

People laughed when I said the NG/Military might need to be called in to keep some of these plants running.    Its not so funny now nor will be when meat prices rise 1-2-3000% on the meat you are lucky to find.    

Talked to another local guy at a convience store who is the mayor of a small town near me.   Local farmers are willing to sell fat hogs to anyone who will take them for $50.00 a head.  

Beyond the obvious health issue the food supply chain is the next biggest issue and is about to get much, much worse. 

Edited by Highmark

Seems to me that this might be another great opportunity for America’s world defending, do-gooders to step up and help out their world’s people.  $1200/person donated times millions to have theses hogs killed/gutted/frozen/packed and shipped out to needy nations.  But what can they do for their Muslim pets?  Oh well.

Oh, letting them loose?  Holy shit.  That would destroy the entire landscape and food chain that comes with it.  Bad idea.

Also, apparently, being in the slaughter business is highly receptive to the COVIDs.  Hmmm....

The idea of brining in the military (well, National guard) to do this work is hilarious but, so is the National guard to me.  

15 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Oh I know...destructive bastards.

Probably so but at least it’ll give the MSM’s something to report on other than 24/7 Corona.  I could also see a spin off Netflix series where EZ opens up Big Pig Rescue, working title “Pig King”.  :lol:

Perhaps there could be a rival outfit headed up by @Wildboer?

Edited by XC.Morrison
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

We must polish our plan for reopening to at least slow the hemorrhaging of our economy.  The only way out of this is to push forward on a limited scale with specific restrictions for social and environmental distancing. 

Our nations cant afford to just hunker down and wait it out. The pain will be worse than cancer. 

Let's not get carried away. :bc:

6 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Seems to me that this might be another great opportunity for America’s world defending, do-gooders to step up and help out their world’s people.  $1200/person donated times millions to have theses hogs killed/gutted/frozen/packed and shipped out to needy nations.  But what can they do for their Muslim pets?  Oh well.

Oh, letting them loose?  Holy shit.  That would destroy the entire landscape and food chain that comes with it.  Bad idea.

Also, apparently, being in the slaughter business is highly receptive to the COVIDs.  Hmmm....

The idea of brining in the military (well, National guard) to do this work is hilarious but, so is the National guard to me.  

m79sb.jpg

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Woodtick said:

Couldn’t they give them to the gay guys that own tigers. The tigers could eat them. They could also put them on rail and send them to Mexico. Carnitas for months.

yeah set up carnitas stations all over the country and have the illegals cook them!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Posted this weeks ago.   A very good friend and neighbor manages the farrowing operations of a large family hog farm in southern Iowa/Northern, Mo.  

They have a contract with Tyson for 23-26,000 hogs a week.   Texted him last night and as of yesterday they had 23,000 that were past delivery.   Some really tough choices coming up.  

People laughed when I said the NG/Military might need to be called in to keep some of these plants running.    Its not so funny now nor will be when meat prices rise 1-2-3000% on the meat you are lucky to find.    

Talked to another local guy at a convience store who is the mayor of a small town near me.   Local farmers are willing to sell fat hogs to anyone who will take them for $50.00 a head.  

Beyond the obvious health issue the food supply chain is the next biggest issue and is about to get much, much worse. 

I wasn't laughing but I was questioning how easy it would be to train NG call ups as meat cutters...definitely nothing funny about any of this. :thumbsup:

17 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I wasn't laughing but I was questioning how easy it would be to train NG call ups as meat cutters...definitely nothing funny about any of this. :thumbsup:

Its not that difficult dude for most of the positions.   They are assembly lines that do a few specific cuts or trims.   Its not like one person is butchering the whole animal themselves.    You can learn to butcher a whole deer in a hour or two. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Its not that difficult dude for most of the positions.   They are assembly lines that do a few specific cuts or trims.   Its not like one person is butchering the whole animal themselves.    You can learn to butcher a whole deer in a hour or two. 

It’s not really the difficulty factor.  I see the NG “deserting” by the thousands of they were tasked to do this.  And I’d support them doing so.  Our government using our military as they see fit in any situation is retarded.  But, then again, so are most that join the National guard.  Fuck...maybe they’d like it?

SNAFU-BAR

8 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

There’s seems to be certain segments that’s getting hurt more than others. Everyone that I know in construction says it’s booming. All the local subs are are going non-stop. The judicial system is at a stand still. No cases are are being heard and some services like drug court are held remotely. Some of the weirdest shit is happening according to a cop friend. Some people are losing all common sense. Part of it is a loss of routine. People don’t know how to live and begin doing stupid shit. 

8 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

There’s seems to be certain segments that’s getting hurt more than others. Everyone that I know in construction says it’s booming. All the local subs are are going non-stop. The judicial system is at a stand still. No cases are are being heard and some services like drug court are held remotely. Some of the weirdest shit is happening according to a cop friend. Some people are losing all common sense. Part of it is a loss of routine. People don’t know how to live and begin doing stupid shit. 

And why we need to take SOME risks even at the chance that some will lose their lives.  

35 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

It’s not really the difficulty factor.  I see the NG “deserting” by the thousands of they were tasked to do this.  And I’d support them doing so.  Our government using our military as they see fit in any situation is retarded.  But, then again, so are most that join the National guard.  Fuck...maybe they’d like it?

SNAFU-BAR

Maybe.   We need more information on these outbreaks.   I still feel the vast majority of infections are happening at their homes and not in the plants.   

Be prepared for massive shortages in meat supplies if something isn't done.   

Edited by Highmark

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

And why we need to take SOME risks even at the chance that some will lose their lives.  

Yeah, that’s the big fight right now. Should they or shouldn’t they. Personally, I’m getting sick of working again. 

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Maybe.   We need more information on these outbreaks.   I still feel the vast majority of infections are happening at their homes and not in the plants.   

Be prepared for massive shortages in meat supplies if something isn't done.   

Nothing wrong with eating less meat. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

Nothing wrong with eating less meat. 

Nope but how is that protein replaced and can the other food groups handle the increased demand.