Check your account email address ×

Rural America Is On The Verge Of Collapse

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

We really enjoy it.

Yep. I know you do. The opportunity it gives your children and grandchildren is incredible. 

There is no better place to raise a family than on a lake. 

3 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Nice. I bet that is a really nice place to live. 

It's beautiful around here. 20-25 min to two towns in either direction. Approx 7 min to the closest little town by atv/sled/sxs. 40-50 min if you need a small city with everything. Within 15min I could be at a number of lakes and the scenery coming thru the locks in town is pleasant to look at

3 minutes ago, smokin george said:

It's beautiful around here. 20-25 min to two towns in either direction. Approx 7 min to the closest little town by atv/sled/sxs. 40-50 min if you need a small city with everything. Within 15min I could be at a number of lakes and the scenery coming thru the locks in town is pleasant to look at

Sounds like a cool place. No doubt I would like it there. 

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Yep. I know you do. The opportunity it gives your children and grandchildren is incredible. 

There is no better place to raise a family than on a lake. 

Were glad we got it when our son was still young.  Lot is about 1.25 acres and 170 ft of waterfront.  It's plenty for our needs, but the cottage is too small and dated for us to live year round.  So rebuild is the plan.

3 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Sounds like a cool place. No doubt I would like it there. 

We have plenty of wildlife around here.Everything from moose on down and from hummingbirds up to the occasional bald eagle. Plenty of fish in the lakes if you wanna drop a line.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Were glad we got it when our son was still young.  Lot is about 1.25 acres and 170 ft of waterfront.  It's plenty for our needs, but the cottage is too small and dated for us to live year round.  So rebuild is the plan.

Perfect sized property. Any more and the tax man will think you're loaded. 

Our lot is only 1.5 acres. 125’ of frontage. Lake isnt big, about 450 acres. Its nice and shallow so it freezes quick, thaws early and warms up super quick in spring. 

The grandkids have been swimming in it for over a month already. 

Our house is old but its very efficient and urethane insulated.  3000sqft.  Ive remodeled the entire thing over the last decade. 

We will keep the old place for a other decade then try to decide which grandkid gets to buy it. They all claim its gonna be theirs one day and the oldest is only 10.  Hahahaha

25 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Perfect sized property. Any more and the tax man will think you're loaded. 

Our lot is only 1.5 acres. 125’ of frontage. Lake isnt big, about 450 acres. Its nice and shallow so it freezes quick, thaws early and warms up super quick in spring. 

The grandkids have been swimming in it for over a month already. 

Our house is old but its very efficient and urethane insulated.  3000sqft.  Ive remodeled the entire thing over the last decade. 

We will keep the old place for a other decade then try to decide which grandkid gets to buy it. They all claim its gonna be theirs one day and the oldest is only 10.  Hahahaha

It's all easy right now, just one kid, no DIL, no grandkids, no headaches.:lol:

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Well, now you know.  An old hippy white guy that lives in a small town setting in he whitest state in America told your scared honkie ass what was what!

Unreal.  :lol:

Blacks make up 3% of this city. They’re everywhere you fuck head. 

56 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Doesn't Spinvag live near Madison WI.  Maybe its some other small town in WI. 

I think so.   Not sure but I think he described it once as a small bedroom community.

54 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Whitewater.:lol:

:lol: Well, that sure sounds diverse!  Prolly like Tools screaming from his pulpit about scared white people afraid of diversity.....while he lives in a town filled with POINT ZERO FIVE percent “diverse people”..

Jesus, Honkeyville, Wi.  The place to lecture the nation about racism.   :lmao:

• Platinum Contributing Member
15 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

For a young person, no way. Only one decent looking chic in town. But I could definatly retire outside out Littleton NH.

13 hours ago, ckf said:

Yes, Littleton has done a great job of reviving the downtown area. It's a nice little New England town with lots of recreational opportunities nearby. 

14 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Ive been to Littleton NH. Stayed at the KOA on the edge of town. Met up with @Shifty and his wife there and had lunch at the old mill they turned into a brewery. 

Also had a flat tire on the motorhome repaired there. I forget the name of the tire shop but they did a great job and got me right in without an appointment. It may have helped that I was parked right in front of their big bay at 6am so they weren't getting to anyone else until they got to me. Hahahaha

cool little town. 

Littleton is a great town. I’m lucky to live here

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

CKF has some nice drone shots of Littleton. The one above may actualy be his.

I could easily live in (outside of) a town like that.  There are some great little towns up the coast of Superior and in Northern MN I could do.  

Rural America on the verge of collapse?

Maybe, maybe not.

I try not to be too pessimistic about it, but I can also buy a house in the town I grew up in for $15,500...

I can expand on my thoughts if anyone cares to hear them, but in the end, I'm just some kid from a map dot on a blacktop that isn't much more then a 4 way stop.

Edited by racinfarmer

I was scanning another article yesterday that was about the states and cities with the biggest declines of population die to high taxes and diminished quality of life.  It looked like CA, IL and NY led the way.  I’m sure the largest cities in each are leading the exodus also.

3 hours ago, Zambroski said:

I was scanning another article yesterday that was about the states and cities with the biggest declines of population die to high taxes and diminished quality of life.  It looked like CA, IL and NY led the way.  I’m sure the largest cities in each are leading the exodus also.

Some are baby boomers retiring. There's also the new migration of blacks. Reversal of a trend that began in 1960. Back then blacks were moving north as part of the Great Migration. Now blacks are moving back to the south. It's happening for a variety of reasons. 

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Some are baby boomers retiring. There's also the new migration of blacks. Reversal of a trend that began in 1960. Back then blacks were moving north as part of the Great Migration. Now blacks are moving back to the south. It's happening for a variety of reasons. 

The article mentioned neither of those but that could be small part.  The article specifically mentions high taxes and diminishing employment opportunities.  These bigger cities are having to drain their entire state for resources to pay for their poor growth management and overall fiscal mismanagement.  

“Sanctuaries”.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 5/26/2019 at 11:03 PM, steve from amherst said:

lnh.jpg

On 5/26/2019 at 11:05 PM, Zambroski said:

Quite nice!  :bc:

It is!. And the economy is fine. Littleton is on the verge of becoming “hip” lol. 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 5:24 PM, AKIQPilot said:

Whitewater WI?  That’s pathetic. :lol: 

I have been living out of a hotel room in nearby Fort Atkinson off and on lately for work. Nice area, but not to my liking. 

17 minutes ago, Shifty said:

It is!. And the economy is fine. Littleton is on the verge of becoming “hip” lol. 

We just went through downtown on Tuesday. I don't think there was a vacant storefront there. Much different than most towns that far north. We stopped at the little ice creme shop on the edge of town on the Whitefield side and got soft severe half and halfs. I noticed they had maple too.