Check your account email address ×

Mitch McConnell Calls to Cut Social Security, Medicare

11 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

I'm on schedule to retire at 59 1/2. Don't know when I'll draw ss or even if it will be available by then. But if they are going to bankrupt it I don't see why we should have to keep paying into it. We'd all be fucking rich if those were put into our own accounts. 

and we'd have people living on the streets who never put anything away.  i see a ton of people even ones with good jobs with little to nothing saved in retirement accounts.  couldn't imagine being 50-60 years old and only having $50k saved in a k

I think that it should be forced retirement savings but there should be investment options for people within it,  tossed in an index fund we would all have more than what SS will pay and for all the talk that we can;t do that because what if the stock market drops reality is over a long term thats never happened so using a doomsday strategy just costs people a solid return.  

42 minutes ago, Highmark said:

SS is tough.  I know people need it and I want it to remain solvent but I know its a huge fucking screw job for a lot of us.   Tough to get behind any increases just because the govt has fucked it up.   Honestly people my age and younger I can't feel sorry if SS is the only retirement planning they have done.   

38 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

and we'd have people living on the streets who never put anything away.  i see a ton of people even ones with good jobs with little to nothing saved in retirement accounts.  couldn't imagine being 50-60 years old and only having $50k saved in a k

I think that it should be forced retirement savings but there should be investment options for people within it,  tossed in an index fund we would all have more than what SS will pay and for all the talk that we can;t do that because what if the stock market drops reality is over a long term thats never happened so using a doomsday strategy just costs people a solid return.  

Highmark covered my response.

8 hours ago, Highmark said:

Did you know if you collect early you can actually pay it back (I'm sure with some interest/penalty) then collect the higher rate later.

I did not know that.

7 hours ago, snoughnut said:

How do you know you're going to live that long? I like the idea of taking it early because SS should really be just fun money at that point and nobody knows how long they'll live, IMO 70 is too late. :bc:

I don't, but the genetics pretty much indicate I will.

The plan is to work into my 70's as I really enjoy what I do and a HUGE part of that is the socialization of putting together deals and mentoring the youth, my plan when is around 65 is to work three days a week and that includes golf, and take 8 or so weeks of vacation a year. 

My Dad is soon to be 81, he works 3 half days a week :lol:, I called him today him and my Mom are in New Orleans, two weeks ago they were in the UP, next month him and his crew have a singing gig down in South Padre so him and my Mom will hang out there for a week, January is Florida, and February is there anniversary.............. now do you see where I'm coming from :bc: 

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

Yeah I dont know how I feel about giving it to wall street, that could be bad. But what about US treasuries? Use that as collateral instead of student loan debt. 

19 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I did not know that.

The plan is to work into my 70's as I really enjoy what I do and a HUGE part of that is the socialization of putting together deals and mentoring the youth, my plan when is around 65 is to work three days a week and that includes golf, and take 8 or so weeks of vacation a year. 

My Dad is soon to be 81, he works 3 half days a week :lol:, I called him today him and my Mom are in New Orleans, two weeks ago they were in the UP, next month him and his crew have a singing gig down in South Padre so him and my Mom will hang out there for a week, January is Florida, and February is there anniversary.............. now do you see where I'm coming from :bc: 

If you love what you are doing, it isn't really working.

One of my long term connections was in sales and still quite active at 75.  I asked him when he was gonna retire, his answer was I can't golf every day, so I gotta do something. 

27 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I did not know that.

Not always and besides there's....car crash, plane crash, sled crash, utv crash, etc. :lmao::bc:

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

Unfortunately I see that as well.  

Another major problem is, there is no way someone who is say 22 entering the workforce should be subjected to the same risk or return potential as someone a few years from retirement.  The early investment sacrifices does not pay of for most in the long term if it just goes to finance the ones with more seniority.  People need to put more faith in their own investment skills, it really isn't very hard today.    Shit most people spend hours researching the best 4K TV's, whether it's OLED or QLED and all the variables and become experts rather quickly, yet can't extrapolate that to their financial plan. 

9 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I'll  wait till  I'm 70 to start collecting SS seeing there is a benefit increase of 8% for every year past my retirement age of 66 years 10 months, and then there is no limit on what I earn once I'm past 70. What I really have to keep an eye on is that I get on Medicare 3 months before my 65th birthday.

As long as we get to take care of you, I will be happy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

If you love what you are doing, it isn't really working.

One of my long term connections was in sales and still quite active at 75.  I asked him when he was gonna retire, his answer was I can't golf every day, so I gotta do something. 

Fuck that noise. I'm checking out at 59 1/2. I'm already one of the old dudes on the scene. College kids are running the show now. In 30 more years nobody is gonna want to talk to my 75 year old ass. Half if not more of my friends will probably be dead by then.

Unless I'm helping one of my kids start a business I don't see myself working. 

2 hours ago, Nazipigdog said:

Yeah I dont know how I feel about giving it to wall street, that could be bad. But what about US treasuries? Use that as collateral instead of student loan debt. 

bonds will never give enough return.  have to be invested in equities

8 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Fuck that noise. I'm checking out at 59 1/2. I'm already one of the old dudes on the scene. College kids are running the show now. In 30 more years nobody is gonna want to talk to my 75 year old ass. Half if not more of my friends will probably be dead by then.

Unless I'm helping one of my kids start a business I don't see myself working. 

Ok, what does that look like?

3 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Because workers are entitled to it.

But they've managed to make the word sound bad.

People in other countrys are more entitled to getting blown to fucking bits I guess :dunno:   I mean hey , we seem to have no problem paying for that . :bc:

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

People in other countrys are more entitled to getting blown to fucking bits I guess :dunno:   I mean hey , we seem to have no problem paying for that . :bc:

No shit...fucking pathetic.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

I can retire in 6 months with max pension @ just under 57 but I think Im gonna work longer.

Like my job for the most part and this retirement thing is coming up way too quick.....financially I'm ready but I think I will go nuts and be depressed if I stopped working.

Funny thing is...10 years ago I couldn't wait til retirement but life seems to be moving way to fast for me now....not ready for what I consider to be the last stage of life.

I will be collecting ss at 62 though....gonna get what I can while its there and Im alive.