Check your account email address ×

AC compressor question

SSFB

My AC has been acting up intermittently the last couple days, buzzing and humming when it tries to kick the fan on, then it gives up. The line going into it has also been cold and wet(not frozen however). This has all happened before but it goes away and then won't happen for quite a while again. 

I'm trying to sell this place so last thing I want to do is take on a large AC repair bill.

Reading online it sounds like the Capacitor could be the culprit and is an easy, cheap replacement.

Thoughts? What else should I look at?

1 minute ago, 1jkw said:

Capacitor is a good bet, you can add a universal hard start capacitor.

Is there a benefit to using a universal hard start capacitor vs. a direct replacement?

33 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Is there a benefit to using a universal hard start capacitor vs. a direct replacement?

Not really if it's just a bad capacitor. If the motor is starting to take a shit, it'll help it start better. 

Will the fan kick on if you help it start by hand?

My FIL. Was having the same problem.  Multiple guys out saying he needed a new unit. One guy replaced capacitor and it worked for 30 minutes.  An older guy he chose to replace  went  right to fuse panel. Found wires going in all corroded and barely making contact.  Cut em and re installed. Working fine ever since.  

Just something to look at. 

10 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Not really if it's just a bad capacitor. If the motor is starting to take a shit, it'll help it start better. 

Will the fan kick on if you help it start by hand?

No.

52 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Yes,  as the name implies, it gives an extra boost to start compressor.

Replace the capacitor if both the fan and the compressor are having a hard time starting. What you have is a dual capacitor, red is the power wire, purple probably the compressor and the yellow to the fan. A hard start cap is just for the compressor. They are used when the compressor is warn mechanically and having a hard time starting. ( starting to lock up)  The info on the capacitor you need to replace it is under that band that is holding it. Take off the 5\16 screw and take a pic of the info. Order the exact same one,brand doesn’t mater. It should run about $6. My reply just cost you a 12ver of Cow fuckface. Do you have a meter that can read micro fares? It will look like this on the meter,mF.

Edited by Woodtick
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Replace the capacitor if both the fan and the compressor are having a hard time starting. What you have is a dual capacitor, red is the power wire, purple probably the compressor and the yellow to the fan. A hard start cap is just for the compressor. They are used when the compressor is warn mechanically and having a hard time starting. ( starting to lock up)  The info on the capacitor you need to replace it is under that band that is holding it. Take off the 5\15 screw and take a pic of the info. Order the exact same one,brand doesn’t mater. It should run about $6. My reply just cost you a 12ver of Cow fuckface.

Fancy pants know it all!!!

:lol:

11 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Replace the capacitor if both the fan and the compressor are having a hard time starting. What you have is a dual capacitor, red is the power wire, purple probably the compressor and the yellow to the fan. A hard start cap is just for the compressor. They are used when the compressor is warn mechanically and having a hard time starting. ( starting to lock up)  The info on the capacitor you need to replace it is under that band that is holding it. Take off the 5\15 screw and take a pic of the info. Order the exact same one,brand doesn’t mater. It should run about $6. My reply just cost you a 12ver of Cow fuckface.

Thanks Tick. That's twice I owe you now. :bc:

oWPdfKT.jpg

6 minutes ago, anorkist said:

be careful with that cap it can kick your ass if not handled with care

Many years ago there was a capacitor plant in my hometown, it was a big joke for a friend to charge them and bring them home to toss at unsuspecting people. You only caught one once. I had my car searched by the police one night and they found some under the seat. I was very thankful none of them were charged.

A bad capacitor usually looks either burnt or green with corrosion. An electric motor also has a starting coil that can go and make it not start 

usually with a bad capacitor it’ll slowly make a few revolutions when engaged but not get going. If the starting coil is fried the fan will wobble back and forth either direction before it gives up 

capacitor is cheap. Just take it out and get one from an electrical supplier with the same markings on it 

if it’s the starting coil you’re basically looking at a new motor...