Check your account email address ×

Burglaries

Anler

We have had a string of burglaries in our neighborhood in the past couple weeks. Last night they hit the house 2 doors down from us. Same MO bathrooms and bedrooms ransacked. Thinking it pill poppers looking for prescriptions and money. 

My MIL is almost always here so I don't think they would get much further than breaking a window but trying to make our house look less attractive to potential thieves. Also I don't want her to have to deal with that. Oh and dogs aren't a deterrent, they are baiting the dogs with food while they rob the house. I'm going to go get some motion detector lights now, any suggestions on anything else?

Edited by Arctic Cat Destroyer

1 minute ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

Oh and the skidoo is in the garage so they know we are pretty baller. Im sure they are scoping us pretty hard...

Get a couple of cat sleds and leave them in the driveway....they will pass right by your house.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

We have had a string of burglaries in our neighborhood in the past couple weeks. Last night they hit the house 2 doors down from us. Same MO bathrooms and bedrooms ransacked. Thinking it pill poppers looking for prescriptions and money. 

My MIL is almost always here so I don't think they would get much further than breaking a window but trying to make our house look less attractive to potential thieves. Also I don't want her to have to deal with that. Oh and dogs aren't a deterrent, they are baiting the dogs with food while they rob the house. I'm going to go get some motion detector lights now, any suggestions on anything else?

put up some cams . I have 4 on the outside of the house . 1 at the doorbell 3 on the eaves they are black and can be seen very ez . only 1 that works is the doorbell

I would put money it is someone from your neighborhood addicted to scripts. Camera on the front door will help. They always ring the doorbell first,to see if somebody is home. A well off stay at home Mom got caught by a simple nest camera a few blocks from me. Really sad ,the peaple hooked on all of these pills.:cop:

Apparently thieves often will ring a door bell to see if someone is home first. If they are they say sorry, they must have the wrong house. There is a security system you can get here that ties into a camera and a speaker at the door. You can be away from home and someone approaches your door. It triggers the app on your phone. You can see who is there and speak to them. They don't know you're miles away.

20 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Get a couple of cat sleds and leave them in the driveway....they will pass right by your house.

Good advice! I can probably get some cheap thru the racing program. :bc:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Apparently thieves often will ring a door bell to see if someone is home first. If they are they say sorry, they must have the wrong house. There is a security system you can get here that ties into a camera and a speaker at the door. You can be away from home and someone approaches your door. It triggers the app on your phone. You can see who is there and speak to them. They don't know you're miles away.

it is called ring . that is a sweet deal they did not have ring when I got my stuff but I have been thinking about getting it . mine automatically records for 1 min after some one hits bell and if  I I am home I can look at 1 of the 2 monitors in my house to see if I want to answer or tell them to giveme a second .

Ring also has a door lock you c an use with your phone so I say a worker is coming to your home they can ring bell you can see who it is on your phone and unlock the door.    

Cameras will not keep them out of the house.  The evidence they do provide can help the police though.

We have an alarm system with the indoor and outdoor audibles.  The outdoor was not recommended but we insisted.(The concern is based on people running toward a burglary when they hear an alarm)  I find it interesting how well the neighbors will observe the property when they hear an alarm.  Our system has deterred two break in events with the audible alarms.  One attempt was a pro.  They didn't even close the door once the alarm started to sound.  I do wish we had a camera setup for that event.  The police knew it was one in a string of robberies, but they didn't have much to use for catching these crooks.  Footprints in the snow didn't help enough to single out the pro crooks.  The amateur crook was caught with neighbor's identification.  Cameras would have also helped with that event as well.

I have been involved with very extensive camera systems through work.  Camera placement is critical for identification.  Check your cameras often.  It is surprising how many failed cameras have done nothing when needed.

12 minutes ago, JEFF said:

Image result for my neighbor is against guns sign:dunno:

This isn't really an issue of personal security, just junkies looking for a quick hit. If someone broke in while I was home that would be pretty dumb. And my little chihuahua buglar alarm let's me know if someone is around. I'm just trying to be more of a deterrent. 

Both my kids are skilled shooters, we've had the discussion about emergency contingency. They are to call 911 first and hide but if it's necessary, kill everything... 

40 minutes ago, favoritos said:

Cameras will not keep them out of the house.  The evidence they do provide can help the police though.

We have an alarm system with the indoor and outdoor audibles.  The outdoor was not recommended but we insisted.(The concern is based on people running toward a burglary when they hear an alarm)  I find it interesting how well the neighbors will observe the property when they hear an alarm.  Our system has deterred two break in events with the audible alarms.  One attempt was a pro.  They didn't even close the door once the alarm started to sound.  I do wish we had a camera setup for that event.  The police knew it was one in a string of robberies, but they didn't have much to use for catching these crooks.  Footprints in the snow didn't help enough to single out the pro crooks.  The amateur crook was caught with neighbor's identification.  Cameras would have also helped with that event as well.

I have been involved with very extensive camera systems through work.  Camera placement is critical for identification.  Check your cameras often.  It is surprising how many failed cameras have done nothing when needed.

I really didn't want to go the camera route but I like the idea of having it linked to phone and having a speaker. 

28 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Put up signs the homeowner is a successful trapper. Anyone caught will be fucked up the ass with a fence picket. Adding Momo’s photo to the signs helps.

Intruders will be butt raped? If they are liberals they might like that... 

1 minute ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

I really didn't want to go the camera route but I like the idea of having it linked to phone and having a speaker. 

Fed ex, UPS, and Amazon, Ring drop and run at my house. I think I'm going to put one on the front door for this reason. I get things shipped to me for work and don't always have a tracking #. It would be nice to get an alert on the phone so I know the the part came before I get home.

In the last year as we have started traveling I decided to make my home more automated with smart thermometers, temp monitors, wifi enabled security cameras, etc.  There are a lot of very good systems on the market these days.  I have the Arlo Security Camera system.  It works very good and there is no monthly or yearly fees required but you can upgrade for a small fee and get lots of additional features.  

Ring, Nest, Arlo, etc all make very good systems.  My system is a mixture of pieces that are controlled through a Samsung Smart Home ap.  

In my opinion no one company makes the very best system for everything.  Nest is getting close but they are still missing a few pieces.  Arlo has a great camera sysyem but not much of anything else for home automation.