Check your account email address ×

Bhent Airways , first flight

7 hours ago, s pump said:

Just an fyi, sometimes gps signal just drops. Anything running on sat signal is not fool proof. I have two antennas on my Garmin and had a drop out last weekend for about 10 minutes. 

Aircraft gps does not run on civilian satelites alone. There is WAAS gps . Adsb which is ground based and of course the same sats your phone uses.

"Garmin GPS receivers are typically accurate to within 10 meters. Accuracy is even better on the water. Some Garmin GPS receiver accuracy is improved with WAAS(Wide Area Augmentation System). ... No additional equipment or fees are required to take advantage of WAAS satellites."

Just now, JEFF said:

"Garmin GPS receivers are typically accurate to within 10 meters. Accuracy is even better on the water. Some Garmin GPS receiver accuracy is improved with WAAS(Wide Area Augmentation System). ... No additional equipment or fees are required to take advantage of WAAS satellites."

Whats your point

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Whats your point

It's widely available and not some special tech. It's kinda pointless though as most base maps aren't accurate enough to utilize it to it's potential.

4 minutes ago, JEFF said:

It's widely available and not some special tech. It's kinda pointless though as most base maps aren't accurate enough to utilize it to it's potential.

It is some special tech. It was developed by the faa specifically for imc navigation a d autopilot approaches  etc and offer an amazing level of accuracy when compared to standard gps.

The point is the redundancy in available positioning systems is as fool proof as it gets.

Edited by f7ben

1 hour ago, Snoslinger said:

ben's been told this numerous times but it goes in one ear and then out his nose.

And i showed you where countless pilots havent carried or looked at a chart since their checkride you fucking moron

You just cant help making yourself look like a fucking idiot at every chance you get

14 minutes ago, f7ben said:

And i showed you where countless pilots havent carried or looked at a chart since their checkride you fucking moron

You just cant help making yourself look like a fucking idiot at every chance you get

and other pilots, including several in here, agree with me you fucking moron. who's really the bigger idiot here? someone promoting back-up in case something happens or a hard headed, know-it-all who thinks that electronic systems never malfunction?

• Like 1

I still carry paper sectionals, i would not fly without, also I have a GPS and iPad if needed in my airplane.  It depends on the type of flying, commercial jet/turboprop airliners are on a company route and covered by ATC, paper nav charts are few and far between however paper approach plates and so on are still the best.   New airliners have EFB tech.....we have it in our airplanes. 

26 minutes ago, Poncho said:

I still carry paper sectionals, i would not fly without, also I have a GPS and iPad if needed in my airplane.  It depends on the type of flying, commercial jet/turboprop airliners are on a company route and covered by ATC, paper nav charts are few and far between however paper approach plates and so on are still the best.   New airliners have EFB tech.....we have it in our airplanes. 

:snack:

1 minute ago, Snoslinger said:

um yeah i did, he carries paper maps :lol:that's all i really needed to know :bc:

:lol: honestly......I think it breaks down nowadays to guys who learned to fly before GPS and all the tech still carrying some charts and guys that learned in the last few decades never even considering putting them in their plane. Sure seems that way anyways 

19 minutes ago, f7ben said:

:lol: honestly......I think it breaks down nowadays to guys who learned to fly before GPS and all the tech still carrying some charts and guys that learned in the last few decades never even considering putting them in their plane. Sure seems that way anyways 

Son if you want to continue in a safe flying career you best not have this attitude.  As a 30 year aircraft accident investigator and 40 year pilot......Please understand....learn the standard transmission prior to jumping to an automatic......It's that simple.  Pay attention to map reading and basic navigation and for matter hand flying....you will thank me someday....trust me.....automation is great, but when it fails, and it does regularly, be prepared.

Edited by Poncho
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Son if you want to continue in a safe flying career you best not have this attitude.  As a 30 year aircraft accident investigator and 40 year pilot......Please understand....learn the standard transmission prior to jumping to an automatic......It's that simple.  Pay attention to map reading and basic navigation and for matter hand flying....you will thank me someday....trust me.....automation is great, but when it fails, and it does regularly, be prepared.

thanks ....I'll likely go ahead and skip the paper charts. Because most nowadays do

Edited by f7ben