Check your account email address ×

Donald Trump Gets a Twice-Daily Briefing of Flattering Headlines and Pictures of Himself

Donald Trump Gets a Twice-Daily Briefing of Flattering Headlines and Pictures of Himself

16 hours ago

The adjustment to life as President of the United States has been a difficult one for the famously thin-skinned Donald Trump, who has remained unable to restraining himself from doing things like declaring war on middling cable news hosts for their crime of insinuating that his appearances earn anything less than exemplary ratings. Fortunately, a team of intrepid White House staffers has concocted a simple—if inelegant—solution to this total inability to process or respond rationally to criticism: scrapbooking. Since the beginning of his administration, the president has received a very special folder twice a day, according to Vice News:

These sensitive papers, described to VICE News by three current and former White House officials, are not top-secret intelligence or updates on legislative initiatives. Instead, the folders are filled with screenshots of positive cable news chyrons (those lower-third headlines and crawls), admiring tweets, transcripts of fawning TV interviews, praise-filled news stories, and sometimes just pictures of Trump on TV looking powerful.

Sometimes just pictures of Trump on TV looking powerful. In 2017, multiple White House employees are responsible for curating a collection of colorful pictures and screenshots from Fox and Friends that they hope will keep the darkest and most volatile parts of the president's fragile psyche—coincidentally, those are also the parts that control his Twitter account—in check for a few more precious hours, and somehow, none of this is even remotely surprising.

One White House official said the only feedback the White House communications shop, which prepares the folder, has ever gotten in all these months is: “It needs to be more fucking positive.” That’s why some in the White House ruefully refer to the packet as “the Propaganda Document.”

[Checks to make sure this isn't copy-pasted from the Wikipedia article for Kim Jong-un]

A trio of RNC staffers do the grunt work, spending their mornings scouring the Internet for relevant clips—[cue every former Capitol Hill intern nodding grimly]—and sending off fresh collections of potential fodder to the White House every 30 minutes. The project is apparently the brainchild of Sean Spicer, God rest his soul, and Reince Preibus, whose own penchant for performative, obsequious flattery earned him a White House tenure that lasted only one week longer than Spicer's. The president's failure to question the one-sided nature of the news he reads is absurdly delusional, but this reflects most poorly on the staffers, whose decision to craft fan mail for their boss instead of doing the hard work of honestly reporting feedback to him reveals a level of cowardice that is embarrassing even for them. This might be the single saddest thing I've ever read:

Another current White House official said that the idea for the twice-daily ego boost came from Priebus and former Press Secretary Sean Spicer, who competed to deliver the folder and be the bearer of the good news. “Priebus and Spicer weren’t in a good position, and they wanted to show they could provide positive coverage,” the official said. “It was self-preservation.”

http://www.gq.com/story/donald-trump-scrapbook

Just now, Snoslinger said:

:lol:

I'm reminded of all the ass kissing his cabinet members did going around the table in that meeting. my god this dude, and his followers, are fucking comical.

Almost as funny as you liberals...

• Haha 1

Just now, Mainecat said:

we? you are part of the 33%

We is an American and we shouldn't be being lied to by the liberal media-  it is awesome we now have a source of "real" news not tainted by the interpretation of the intellectually elite pushing an agenda.  Real news for real Americans.  Trump FTW.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

We is an American and we shouldn't be being lied to by the liberal media-  it is awesome we now have a source of "real" news not tainted by the interpretation of the intellectually elite pushing an agenda.  Real news for real Americans.  Trump FTW.    

So none of the negative Trump news is real?

Just now, Mainecat said:

So none of the negative Trump news is real?

Nope all fake-  he is the only president in modern times to look out for real americans,  Trump is a real american and those of you against him are clearly traitors.  Every time I see trump speak this song just pops into my head

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

Nope all fake-  he is the only president in modern times to look out for real americans,  Trump is a real american and those of you against him are clearly traitors.  Every time I see trump speak this song just pops into my head

I didnt hear the nuke sirens go off. Must be a leak at the plant

19 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

I didnt hear the nuke sirens go off. Must be a leak at the plant

says the guy fixated on the past and holding 50-75 year old grudges-  i'm ready to move forward and Trump is going to get us to a better place where america is great again.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

says the guy fixated on the past and holding 50-75 year old grudges-  i'm ready to move forward and Trump is going to get us to a better place where america is great again.  

:lol: 

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

The ride could be like the Griswold's ride to Wally World but we will get there. :bc: