Check your account email address ×

the economy is great

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 hours ago, Woodtick said:

$20 dollars an hour for unskilled construction helper is good money in Chicago. I'm paying $25 an hour to have my bathroom redone in the UP. This is a skilled and bonded guy. 

20 bucks is a great wage for a helper and you are getting a good deal on your bathroom....guys have to be hungry in the Yoop.

3 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

20 bucks is a great wage for a helper and you are getting a good deal on your bathroom....guys have to be hungry in the Yoop.

Yeah, I agree.  It all really comes down to a cost of living.  Sure, $20 may not be enough in Chicago or big cities, but in more rural areas, that buys a lot more.  And fuck me if I'll EVER live around one of those shit-hole, congested, infested big cities again.  Never could figure out why some are so proud to live in them.  I think to them like it's some kind of achievement. :dunno:

Make your money there if you want, live smart and plan an escape!!!!!!  

11 hours ago, Woodtick said:

$20 dollars an hour for unskilled construction helper is good money in Chicago. I'm paying $25 an hour to have my bathroom redone in the UP. This is a skilled and bonded guy. 

Unskilled is the key word at $20.00 an hour.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

Or is he? At $25 per hr., I'd be really concerned about the quality and workmanship of the finished product, that sounds way too cheap.

8 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Or is he? At $25 per hr., I'd be really concerned about the quality and workmanship of the finished product, that sounds way too cheap.

I know several subs I use at that rate that do a damn fine job.  Now, they tend to work a bit slow too so.....  

Fact is, some people don't like to bid work, or are terrible at it.  Doing an hourly rate allows for them to self correct their pay for work.  I get it.  And don't mind it.  But I am usually an acting GC on a lot of jobs so I have a good grip on how long shit should take.  A lot of contractors shoot themselves in the foot by loafing on the job after low bidding an hourly rate.  Oh well.....to each their own.  Personally, I bid it all.

On 6/13/2017 at 7:21 PM, snoughnut said:

Last year was a turd, this year is waaayyy better. Thanks Trump

Of course you say so. Obama was so bad to you.. :lol: 

Cry-Baby-Cry-1024x568.jpg

3 hours ago, snoughnut said:

The guy is a friend of mine, he is using this job as fill in work when he gets rained out on all of the out side jobs he is doing, he couldn't bid it. It had to be stripped to the studs. The bathroom was hacked in 20 years ago and we didn't know what he was going the find. I'm paying him in 20's and 50's which also helps. There is a guy up there that charges $30 an hour for bobcat work. I'm not sure how the fuck that can be done?