Check your account email address ×

Trump leading Biden in 6 key swing states: Survey

NICK ROBERTSON

April 3, 2024 at 7:42 AM

Former President Trump leads President Biden in six of seven of the closest swing states, according to a Wall Street Journal poll published Wednesday.

Leaning on dissatisfaction with the economy and swirling questions over Biden’s age, Trump has a multipoint lead in each battleground except for Wisconsin, where Biden leads by 3 points in a three-way race with independent Robert F. Kennedy Jr., per the survey.

To win reelection, Biden will need to retain the “blue wall” of states — Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania — he flipped in 2020. Trump holds a 2-point lead in Michigan and a 3-point lead in Pennsylvania, though each has a significant portion of undecided voters.

Biden also carried Georgia, Nevada and Arizona in the last election, all of which have stronger Trump support, according to the poll. Trump leads in Georgia by 3 points, in Nevada by 4 points and in Arizona by a significant 5-point margin.

Third party and independent candidates may be the key for either candidate, with the group taking about 15 percent of the vote in the poll across all states. Kennedy has drawn support from both Biden and Trump, and Democrats have doubled down on efforts to urge voters away from him in recent weeks.

Despite briefly running for the Democratic nomination, the independent candidate’s outsider position, government skepticism and anti-vaccine posturing has made him popular with anti-establishment voters in both parties.

On the issues, Trump holds an advantage on the economy, the border and inflation, while Biden has an edge on abortion, according to the poll. Democrats have emphasized reproductive rights as a key issue for November, focusing on in vitro fertilization (IVF) as a rallying point for supporters and starting a push into Florida after the state Supreme Court paved the way for a strict six-week abortion ban Monday.

Despite siding with Trump on economic issues and showing little faith in the national economy, most respondents said their state’s economy was doing well. At least 60 percent of respondents in each swing state except Wisconsin said their state’s economy was in a good situation, while significantly fewer said the same of the national economy.

In Georgia and North Carolina, the divide between national and state economics was largest, with just 38 percent and 33 percent of respondents having a positive view of the national economy but 67 percent and 66 percent saying the state’s economy is doing well, respectively.

Michigan respondents had the most positive view of the economy, with 51 percent of respondents saying the national economy is doing well, and 67 percent saying the same of their state’s.

The Wall Street Journal surveyed 600 registered voters in mid-March for the three-way race data, with a margin of error of 4 percent. The economic data came from a group of 300 registered voters at the same time, with a margin of error of 5.6 percent.

• Like 2

Key issues:

Republicans = the economy and the border

Democrats = abortion

And yet the GOP still can't explain/debate that abortion isn't banned, and to help focus on the other issues.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Key issues:

Democrats = abortion

And yet the GOP still can't explain/debate that abortion isn't banned, and to help focus on the other issues.

The economy is doing well. Only hope Trump has is the border.

1 minute ago, Steve753 said:

You're talking with your typical TDS emotion.  Are you equating the economy to Wall Street and the Dow or ????  Have you gone grocery shopping lately?  Or, have you seen what it costs young adults to rent a place ... let alone trying to buy one?  You sound like freaking SR and MC ... congrats :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bontz said:

You're talking with your typical TDS emotion.  Are you equating the economy to Wall Street and the Dow or ????  Have you gone grocery shopping lately?  Or, have you seen what it costs young adults to rent a place ... let alone trying to buy one?  You sound like freaking SR and MC ... congrats :lol:

I see people filling up 2 carts at Costco and I see people spending money on the finer things.

Inflation is high, but it seems like the majority are dealing with it very well.

32 minutes ago, Bontz said:

And yet the GOP still can't explain/debate that abortion is a Libtard thing and basically amounts to killing themselves.  So what's the problem.

I see people filling up 2 carts at Costco and I see people spending money on the finer things.

Inflation is high, but it seems like the majority are dealing with it very well.

Ahhh, I see ... "Butt Plug Utopia" is where it's at!! :lol:

3 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Ahhh, I see ... "Butt Plug Utopia" is where it's at!! :lol:

You had to dip into your kids university fund to go to the Dominican did you.

Tisk tisk.

34 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

I think this vid sums it up and is very appropriate in clown world that you live in.

But yes I agree The border issue is going to get Trump elected no matter what.

Just now, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I think this vid sums it up and is very appropriate in clown world that you live in.

But yes I agree The border issue is going to get Trump elected no matter what.

Selling the Viper to get by?

Selling the Viper to get by?

No and fortunately I don't rack up a lot of credit card debt either.... but that's not the majority of Americans.

If you watched that video it would show you how much debt America has racked up on their credit cards with very high interest rates and that doesn't include housing mortgages.  Making new home buyers really suffer.   So yeah the economy is not as stellar as the media is making it sound. But they know they are losing the border issue so spouting fake news about the economy is their only hope.

49 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Key issues:

Democrats = abortion

you are absolutely correct with the GOP and abortion.  Not sure why every Republican doesn't explain that it's a state issue and that at this point it is a decision between you and your god.  They need to have a unified position and nip that in the ass so it is no longer some drawn out issue the Dem's say attack women rights.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

No and fortunately I don't rack up a lot of credit card debt either.... but that's not the majority of Americans.

If you watched that video it would show you how much debt America has racked up on their credit cards with very high interest rates and that doesn't include housing mortgages.  Making new home buyers really suffer.   So yeah the economy is not as stellar as the media is making it sound. But they know they are losing the border issue so spouting fake news about the economy is their only hope.

Yes, the MAJORITY is drowning in debt.  Just got back from Florida and everything was packed, I bet 80% are putting the entire vacation on a credit card. 

• Like 1

People live for today. You could save for 30 years and get sick and die. You have one go around in live and you cant predict the future. 

16 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

You had to dip into your kids university fund to go to the Dominican did you.

Tisk tisk.

Nah - I went the route of your financial management wizardry and spread it out over half a dozen credit cards & will keep moving it around to other cards with 0% rates on transfers :lol:  You know, for the points afterall.

• Haha 1

Just now, Bontz said:

Nah - I went the route of your financial management wizardry and spread it out over half a dozen credit cards & will keep moving it around to other cards with 0% rates on transfers :lol:  You know, for the points afterall.

Whatever works.

:bc:

I pay mine off every month. That works best for me. :thumbsup:

Just now, Steve753 said:

People live for today. You could save for 30 years and get sick and die. You have one go around in live and you cant predict the future. 

While I also live by that philosophy, I try to keep my debt to a minimum And it's tougher to do these days than it used to be. To be honest, my biggest complaint would probably be grocery prices, Also fuel oil prices are pretty high  for my new PA home. I am getting a heat pump split- system put in next week so that should eliminate my need for fuel oil except to heat the water.

I don't plan on going to my grave with a ton of money.... trust me. Fortunately, I don't have too many people to worry about when I die. 

They will read my will and go... WTF:lmao:.....this dude got nothin.

Hopefully I will have sold my vipers by then and enjoyed the cash that that brings too...:lol:.    

While I also live by that philosophy, I try to keep my debt to a minimum And it's tougher to do these days than it used to be. To be honest, my biggest complaint would probably be grocery prices, Also fuel oil prices are pretty high  for my new PA home. I am getting a heat pump split- system put in next week so that should eliminate my need for fuel oil except to heat the water.

I don't plan on going to my grave with a ton of money.... trust me. Fortunately, I don't have too many people to worry about when I die. 

They will read my will and go... WTF:lmao:.....this dude got nothin.

Hopefully I will have sold my vipers by then and enjoyed the cash that that brings too...:lol:.    

4 hours ago, Steve753 said:

Take off your rose colored glasses and walk a different path and you will see a darker side of reality 

• Like 1

Just now, ICG said:

Take off your rose colored glasses and walk a different path and you will see a darker side of reality 

No thanks. Im not a Trumper.

26 minutes ago, ICG said:

Rose colored glasses?.... I think he must be wearing an eye patch covering both eyes.  Just totally blind to the obvious :lmao:...

27 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

No thanks. Im not a Trumper.

Never mentioned politics... Economics and poverty ... Society is hemorrhaging cash for daily living expenses, that they don't have.

1 minute ago, ICG said:

Never mentioned politics... Economics and poverty ... Society is hemorrhaging cash for daily living expenses, that they don't have.

Some, yes. Most , no.