Check your account email address ×

Quebec electric snowmobile maker Taiga suspends production, lays off 70 workers

• Platinum Contributing Member

Montreal-based electric snowmobile manufacturer Taiga Motors says it is pausing production and temporarily laying off around 70 workers.

The company, which also makes electric watercraft, says its decision is in response to a challenging economy and an exceptionally mild winter.

Taiga released quarterly and annual results today but did not hold a conference call with investors, and a spokesperson said managers would not be available for interviews. 

It says its net loss was $72.5 million in 2023, compared to a loss of $59.5 million in 2022.

28 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Whenever I see this electric BS failing I think of this. :lmao:

We Did It Joe GIF - We did it joe - Discover & Share GIFs

how many cordless tools do you own?  :news:

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

Montreal-based electric snowmobile manufacturer Taiga Motors says it is pausing production and temporarily laying off around 70 workers.

The company, which also makes electric watercraft, says its decision is in response to a challenging economy and an exceptionally mild winter.

Taiga released quarterly and annual results today but did not hold a conference call with investors, and a spokesperson said managers would not be available for interviews. 

It says its net loss was $72.5 million in 2023, compared to a loss of $59.5 million in 2022.

They are probably a little ahead of their time.

24 minutes ago, ckf said:

They are probably a little ahead of their time.

Thats always been said where EVs are concerned though. Wasn't the first EV made in the 1850s?

:lol:

Their plan was to be bought up by the likes of BRP.

When Can-am bikes were reborn fully electric, this was inevitable.

11 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Thats always been said where EVs are concerned though. Wasn't the first EV made in the 1850s?

:lol:

Yes, but just about everything will eventually go electric. And by that I don't mean 150 years from now. 30 years ago battery powered drills were laughed at. Now they are likely much more popular than their corded cousins.

• Like 2

There are at least 90 Milwaukee batteries in my house right now and not a corded tool in sight.  Contractors don't fuck with shit that needs power lines anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

how many cordless tools do you own?  :news:

There's a big difference between cordless tools and electric snowmobiles.:lmao:

4 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

There's a big difference between cordless tools and electric snowmobiles.:lmao:

you should get gas powered tools ;)

12 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

There are at least 90 Milwaukee batteries in my house right now and not a corded tool in sight.  Contractors don't fuck with shit that needs power lines anymore.

I agree for the most part. Although I think my buddy that is a builder still uses a corded chop saw. He even has a little insulated box in his box truck to charge his cordless batteries in during the winter.

44 minutes ago, ckf said:

Yes, but just about everything will eventually go electric. And by that I don't mean 150 years from now. 30 years ago battery powered drills were laughed at. Now they are likely much more popular than their corded cousins.

Not transportation and if it does, I'll believe it when I see it. The electric vehicle idiocy will eventually fizzle out and die, another liberal brain fart. 

California can't even meet electrical demand for AC during a heat wave, now let's plug in millions of electric vehicles on top of that. :lmao:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

I still carry a compressor for back up when im in the dunes. Usually only use it for air though.

2 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Not transportation and if it does, I'll believe it when I see it. The electric vehicle idiocy will eventually fizzle out and die, another liberal brain fart. 

California can't even meet electrical demand for AC during a heat wave, now let's plug in millions of electric vehicles on top of that. :lmao:

I still believe that is the direction that we are going. It just isn't going to happen as fast as some would like. Like you said, they need to build out the electrical infrastructure before EVs take over.

8 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

......or maybe you should stop being less of a tool. :poke:

here's my take...

if a manufacturer wants to make/market EVs and people want to purchase them... fine with me.

same with hybrids

same with ice 

market demand will dictate the winners and losers 

the proposed and approved mandates are ridiculous

if people don't like the price of gasoline or diesel... fuck em 

:thumbsup:

11 minutes ago, ckf said:

I still believe that is the direction that we are going. It just isn't going to happen as fast as some would like. Like you said, they need to build out the electrical infrastructure before EVs take over.

if EVs are the future why isn't every electrical utility company in the country building charging stations to sell juice right to the end user?  

;)

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

if EVs are the future why isn't every electrical utility company in the country building charging stations to sell juice right to the end user?  

;)

Why build out what you can't supply the power for? Isn't that putting the cart ahead of the horse?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ckf said:

Why build out what you can't supply the power for? Isn't that putting the cart ahead of the horse?

who's going to pay for and profit from the recharging of electric vehicles?   doesn't seem as the power companies are investing their own $ in 'the future' 

for the fast chargers and big charging stations you need 3 phase.  most of rural America doesn't have it.  charging infrastructure is the single biggest hurdle.  

How much energy is used to remove oil from the ground, refine it and deliver it over the road to gas stations pumps that consume more energy?

Solar is increasing energy to the grid every day as homes are converted to solar arrays.

9 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

How much energy is used to remove oil from the ground, refine it and deliver it over the road to gas stations pumps that consume more energy?

Solar is increasing energy to the grid every day as homes are converted to solar arrays.

solar panels aren't carbon neutral... not even close.  their lifespan is also not as long as many imagine.  

nuclear power...

the end

50 minutes ago, ckf said:

I agree for the most part. Although I think my buddy that is a builder still uses a corded chop saw. He even has a little insulated box in his box truck to charge his cordless batteries in during the winter.

Chop & table saws in the house are cordless.  The exception was the trim guys installing the cabinets.  They had all Festool.

As for the future, an electric motor will be the propulsion system for cars.  They may however not be battery powered.

21 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

solar panels aren't carbon neutral... not even close.  their lifespan is also not as long as many imagine.  

nuclear power...

the end

They put out clean energy for 30 years and some panels for 50 years.

There is a big difference for viability of electric/battery powered equipment.  Short use or easy to change batteries, sure. 

I don't use a sled or pwc for 30 minutes at a time.  A lot of times on sleds we have a whole tank of fuel burned by 10 AM and are out for 8+ hours.   Cordless tools are intermittent use, even for contractors, and the batteries are easily replaceable and don't require special charging infrastructure.  Electric would be better suited for applications like ATVs or UTVs that are used around a business or farm.  Sleds maybe for places like ski resorts but that's a real limited market.

My next commuter car will probably be a Tesla but I'm only going ~70 miles round trip usually.  All wheel drive and I park in my garage right next to the electrical panel.  No more stopping every week for gas, just plug it in when I get home and charge at off-peak rates overnight.

• Like 1