Check your account email address ×

Did Jesus exist? Examining the historicity of one of the most important people in history

10 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

Most? About as accurate as climate change. Adjust on the fly.

Everyone thought that pontius pilot didn’t exist. Until it turned out that he did 

18 minutes ago, Rod said:

You said I can’t prove that he was a deity. I certainly can’t. Nor was that an argument that I made

i said Jesus existed. Which most historians agree that he did. And he changed the world, even if he was just a man. 

No I said you can't prove he existed, let alone that he was a supernatural being (as the Bible describes).

People have no problem agreeing that a Jewish religious teacher named Yeshua existed (as there were many Jewish teachers around at that time), even if it cannot be proven.  The issue comes when any type of supernatural power, or deity claim is applied Jesus.

Neal

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rod said:

Everyone thought that pontius pilot didn’t exist. Until it turned out that he did 

There weren’t even any planes around then, how could he have been a pilot.

Wow :owned:

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

No I said you can't prove he existed, let alone that he was a supernatural being (as the Bible describes).

People have no problem agreeing that a Jewish religious teacher named Yeshua existed (as there were many Jewish teachers around at that time), even if it cannot be proven.  The issue comes when any type of supernatural power, or deity claim is applied Jesus.

Neal

I ever said he was a supernatural being 

but most historians agree that he at least existed as a man 

8 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Of course he existed. How else did he write the bibe....wait what?

The Catholics\romans actually put the bible together 

although they perverted it really bad and it wasn’t until Luther translated it that we got the context of what Jesus really said and meant 

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Rod said:

although they perverted it really bad and it wasn’t until Luther translated it that we got the context of what Jesus really said and meant 

I know, the writings I the Bible were something g along the lines of 600 years after jebus.

6 hours ago, SSFB said:

I see Jesus when I ride my 850! Neal rides a Ski-Don't so he's never seen Jesus! :owned:

Praying you'll make it home without a fire?

:ashamed::bc:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rod said:

The Bible is a collection of stories from a multitude of religions.  It is not some book Jesus wrote or had even hardly any influence on.  Many of the stories that include him as a character had nothing to do with his life but someone else.  The history of the book is actually much more interesting than the contents.  

You are right about one thing though.  The Catholics perverted the shit out of it.  Of course Luther took some liberties as well, but regardless calling the Bible some historical record of Christianity is a misnomer. 

4 hours ago, Deephaven said:

The Bible is a collection of stories from a multitude of religions.  It is not some book Jesus wrote or had even hardly any influence on.  Many of the stories that include him as a character had nothing to do with his life but someone else.  The history of the book is actually much more interesting than the contents.  

You are right about one thing though.  The Catholics perverted the shit out of it.  Of course Luther took some liberties as well, but regardless calling the Bible some historical record of Christianity is a misnomer. 

Literally nobody said that Jesus wrote the bible. 

Jesus teachings were profound in the sense that religion shouldn’t be government 

he taught that you didn’t really need a church, and that people can be directly connected to God

This was a wild idea because back then religion and government was the same thing. You couldn’t get salvation unless the church\state approved you and that’s how they controlled people. 

so Jesus basically was turning society on its head. So they had to kill him 

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 hours ago, Deephaven said:

What’s the basis for your Repug party wanting the book taught in school?  Your Repug’s effort to bring ‘God’ back into the classroom?  Being the good and faithful Repug that you are - you surely have an explanation ….:snack:

1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

We don’t know who wrote the gospels either.  :bc:

Christianity is full of unknowns and unprovables.

Neal

Well back then literacy was a very rare commodity 

that’s why the Catholics\romans got away with what they did for so long 

6 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

What’s the basis for your Repug party wanting the book taught in school?  Your Repug’s effort to bring ‘God’ back into the classroom?  Being the good and faithful Repug that you are - you surely have an explanation ….:snack:

You need Jesus 

54 minutes ago, Rod said:

Literally nobody said that Jesus wrote the bible. 

Figuratively is exactly what you said.

13 hours ago, Rod said:

Derp