Check your account email address ×

BRP to cut sled production 30%

1 hour ago, sleepybrew said:

i was just gonna ask if anyone has seen the prices. i had a guy come in with a pilot on a trailer. showroom condition, looked never ridden. he paid 8k

he got a 'deal'... :lol:

3 hours ago, sleepybrew said:

i was just gonna ask if anyone has seen the prices. i had a guy come in with a pilot on a trailer. showroom condition, looked never ridden. he paid 8k

That sounds fairly cheap. My grandfathers “neighbor” is from down in Long Island but has a house up north, his 80x100 barn is full of old Hondas, wheelers, ATCs, 250/350 Odysseys and Pilots. He’s got an 86 ATC 250R that probably has 5 hours on it, I got it running for him one summer when I was up there working for my grandfather and rode it a few times, him and his son were both terrified of it. He wanted to trade my dads fourtrax straight across for it but my dad wouldn’t let me, he sold the fourtrax for like 1200 bucks a year later….

18 hours ago, krom said:

Lots right in the second paragraph..  But the procross wasn't going to do anything but continue to loose sales..

Poo spent more $$ engineering and tooling their bulkhead castings, than textron did on the catalyst chassis, and maybe more than textron did on the entire catalyst project.

Castings are good and bad. They are very expensive upfront and prevent any upgrades and geometry tweaks like what Cat can do with their tube steel bulkhead. Damage repair is also more difficult with castings. I suspect production is less expensive so they save money over time. 

If what you wrote is accurate about Polaris costs than I think Textron has a better strategy for the long run. They can revise and improve the Cataylist a lot more easily year to year. I’d like to see Cat move up in sales and give Poo a run for their stagnation. But with a Textron in charge I doubt that’ll happen. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AK440 said:

Castings are good and bad. They are very expensive upfront and prevent any upgrades and geometry tweaks like what Cat can do with their tube steel bulkhead. Damage repair is also more difficult with castings. I suspect production is less expensive so they save money over time. 

If what you wrote is accurate about Polaris costs than I think Textron has a better strategy for the long run. They can revise and improve the Cataylist a lot more easily year to year. I’d like to see Cat move up in sales and give Poo a run for their stagnation. But with a Textron in charge I doubt that’ll happen. 

At poos volume, it's not that big of a deal to make minor changes, and the per sled cost would be a fraction of what ac spends to fab the tube steel version. 

I like cats solution, it's cheap to tool, super cheap to make changes to, and strong (once they redo the sway bar mount) 

On 4/5/2024 at 7:29 AM, krom said:

At poos volume, it's not that big of a deal to make minor changes, and the per sled cost would be a fraction of what ac spends to fab the tube steel version. 

I like cats solution, it's cheap to tool, super cheap to make changes to, and strong (once they redo the sway bar mount) 

That doesn’t make any sense. 

5 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Simple math.  For instance.  Divide $100,000 by 15,000 or divide it by 1,000.  Which is smaller?

And you pulled $100,000 from where… your ass? 15,000, what is that number tied to? 

49 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

It is called an analogy.  None of the numbers are real, but you were having a hard time understanding a simple concept.

In other words you pulled the numbers out of your ass. They are meaningless and have ZERO relevance to the original post. 

Gawd you are a fucking moron. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AK440 said:

That doesn’t make any sense. 

You didn't understand his example, or my post....

But I'll try again...

If you take the cost to make a small change to the casting, and divide it among the volume of castings poo has made each year, their overall cost is still significantly less than that of a catalyst bulkhead.

3 hours ago, krom said:

But I'll try again...

If you take the cost to make a small change to the casting, and divide it among the volume of castings poo has made each year, their overall cost is still significantly less than that of a catalyst bulkhead.

He is a poor liberal dipshit.  No possible way he'll understand that either.  Someday perhaps he will own a sled.

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

He is a poor liberal dipshit.  No possible way he'll understand that either.  Someday perhaps he will own a sled.

A 10 cent bolt change cost a lot less on 30,000 units vers 3000 units 

On 4/6/2024 at 3:47 PM, krom said:

But I'll try again...

You have zero info on the cost for Polaris to create the molds for the bulkhead castings. There is nothing small in cost to change a casting. 

On 4/6/2024 at 9:16 PM, Not greg b said:

A 10 cent bolt change cost a lot less on 30,000 units vers 3000 units 

A common bolt manufactured and available from many suppliers isn’t the same thing as a proprietary casting mold. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

...but he understands the market size and what was actually sold.  Cat can't afford to do shit.  Zero economy of scale...

That is the exact fucking reason Cat went with a welded, steel tube frame bulkhead. They can make relatively easy changes and also far more economically create a new bulkhead for larger engines. 

4 minutes ago, AK440 said:

...economically create a new bulkhead for larger engines. 

Lol, their economy of scale never occurs.  They need to make something people want to buy.  For instance, like yourself.  We realize you'd need to double your pay, but perhaps then you'd contemplate a new Cat.

12 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Lol, their economy of scale never occurs.  They need to make something people want to buy.  For instance, like yourself.  We realize you'd need to double your pay, but perhaps then you'd contemplate a new Cat.

Prove I don’t own a sled. You seem so certain about it, it shouldn’t be hard. :snack:

Not my job to prove you don't.  I don't care.  Rather obvious though since you are completely confused about how they work and so bitter that you had all that snow.

2 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Not my job to prove you don't.  I don't care.  Rather obvious though since you are completely confused about how they work and so bitter that you had all that snow.

:backpeddle: :backpeddle::backpeddle:

Put some money on it that I don’t have a sled ya pussy. 

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

Oooo, that makes me believe you.  :lol:

Put up some money if you are so confident you are right. Tell you what, you prove me wrong I’ll leave the site forever. You’ll have succeeded in what Bontz couldn’t do when I posted the  photo of his fat face off his public Facebook page. You lose then you pay my subscription fee so I can post photos. 

Let’s see how confident you are in your tiresome, never ending accusations that I don’t own a sled. :snack:

1 hour ago, AK440 said:

Put up some money if you are so confident you are right. Tell you what, you prove me wrong I’ll leave the site forever. You’ll have succeeded in what Bontz couldn’t do when I posted the  photo of his fat face off his public Facebook page. You lose then you pay my subscription fee so I can post photos. 

Let’s see how confident you are in your tiresome, never ending accusations that I don’t own a sled. :snack:

Just go delete old attachments lmao