Check your account email address ×

Ye Olde Shillelagh

My buddy sent me a text this morning ... one of his favorite bars by his cabin up in Manitowish Waters (WI).  My very first comment to him was, I hope it's not like most other stories that go with bars in the Northwoods that catch fire.  He claims he'd be surprised as the owner absolutely loved being there & it actually stayed relatively busy this winter.

https://www.wjfw.com/ye-olde-shillelagh-burns-in-manitowish-waters-3-22-24/video_9fc42a06-d8af-5fe2-b746-ee39abb71e8d.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bontz said:

My buddy sent me a text this morning ... one of his favorite bars by his cabin up in Manitowish Waters (WI).  My very first comment to him was, I hope it's not like most other stories that go with bars in the Northwoods that catch fire.  He claims he'd be surprised as the owner absolutely loved being there & it actually stayed relatively busy this winter.

https://www.wjfw.com/ye-olde-shillelagh-burns-in-manitowish-waters-3-22-24/video_9fc42a06-d8af-5fe2-b746-ee39abb71e8d.html

Are you saying it's a thing that some places might get conveniently burned for insurance money?  Because I've wondered that before with some places but didn't know if it was a thing or if others suspected this of maybe happening.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Are you saying it's a thing that some places might get conveniently burned for insurance money?  Because I've wondered that before with some places but didn't know if it was a thing or if others suspected this of maybe happening.

Cough cough, Carlsona Beach...

This has been going on a long time, and is why so much scrutiny is put on Northwoods business owners when a fire takes down their business.  After a snowmobile season like this one, I would suspect there's extra scrutiny.

Guy I ride with is an electrical contractor and when we go into some of these places up Nth and see the extension cords to other extension cord and other wiring practices he just shakes his head.  Says this place is waiting to burn down and that's just the wiring that we see.

There was a place up Nth that burned down 4-5 years ago.  Heard from the locals that the insurance would only payout if the place was rebuilt.  If that is the case makes no sense the burn it down under "mysterious circumstances"    

• Like 2

This is one of my favorite places for food. They really jacked up the prices lately along with many others in the northwoods.   This is very sad news.  15 minutes by car from cabin

Edited by jonlafon1
  • Like 1

The buddy of mine who sent the text yesterday about this, said he texted the owner as they are pretty close.  I guess he had just left for Nashville (well, Tennessee anyway) and hadn't even been down there for more than a couple days.  Normally this is vacation season for them since it's the end of the sledding season ... that never really began.  Sucks to hear about something like this when you're supposed to be enjoying vacation and finally getting a break.

1 minute ago, Bontz said:

The buddy of mine who sent the text yesterday about this, said he texted the owner as they are pretty close.  I guess he had just left for Nashville (well, Tennessee anyway) and hadn't even been down there for more than a couple days.  Normally this is vacation season for them since it's the end of the sledding season ... that never really began.  Sucks to hear about something like this when you're supposed to be enjoying vacation and finally getting a break.

That sucks. Always hate to hear when someone loses their livelihood as well.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Doug said:

Guy I ride with is an electrical contractor and when we go into some of these places up Nth and see the extension cords to other extension cord and other wiring practices he just shakes his head.  Says this place is waiting to burn down and that's just the wiring that we see.

There was a place up Nth that burned down 4-5 years ago.  Heard from the locals that the insurance would only payout if the place was rebuilt.  If that is the case makes no sense the burn it down under "mysterious circumstances"    

You should see how many are just waiting to catch fire from all of the grease and oil build up in the kitchens and ventilation systems. Kitchen nightmares & Bar Rescue come to mind.

Unfortunately, JERRY 976 .... Has seen the truth about alot of the places that serve the snowmobile community

most establishments were started in  nothing buildings built on a shoe string budget  . . Expanding as business got bigger...

Air Condition systems don't  burn buildings down....cold weather pushes old fireplaces, stoves furnaces...old overloaded electrical systems...that dirty kitchen vent system that doesn't have a cleaning budget....

Reality is kitchens are a major fire hazard.... Mega Yachts burn from galley fires..... Just reality, nothing sinister 

• 4 weeks later...

There was a bunch of old businesses getting burnt down around here. Turns out it was part time fire fighter that was setting the fires to get hours. They figured it when they noticed he was always the first one on scene way before anyone else. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 8:33 PM, Not greg b said:

There was a bunch of old businesses getting burnt down around here. Turns out it was part time fire fighter that was setting the fires to get hours. They figured it when they noticed he was always the first one on scene way before anyone else. 

You might be in Wisconsin when...