Check your account email address ×

Will it be another shoot -o- rahm - a , long weekend in shitcago ?

I was in Chicago for the Canadian long weekend. I asked the manager at the hotel(near the university) what happened here and why so many deaths. he told me that they closed 3 hospitals to gun shot victims , because no one had money to pay bills. so they have to travel 30 min across town to different hospitals and most of them don't survive  the ride. he could be wrong ...just saying

• Platinum Contributing Member
23 minutes ago, Taillight said:

I was in Chicago for the Canadian long weekend. I asked the manager at the hotel(near the university) what happened here and why so many deaths. he told me that they closed 3 hospitals to gun shot victims , because no one had money to pay bills. so they have to travel 30 min across town to different hospitals and most of them don't survive  the ride. he could be wrong ...just saying

Emergency rooms cannot turn people away for lack of money.   Only if they are not capable of handling the trauma in question or have too many to deal with more incoming.   I'd guess the latter to be true.  

1 hour ago, Taillight said:

Most gun shot victims (including cops) go to Cook County Hospital. They have the best trauma center in the city. But that is also the "welfare" hospital. You dont have to worry about paying your bill there. 

35 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Emergency rooms cannot turn people away for lack of money.   Only if they are not capable of handling the trauma in question or have too many to deal with more incoming.   I'd guess the latter to be true.  

You are correct but I imagine that they have some influence on where the ambulances take them. Im betting they all go to Cook County. 

Just now, Anler said:

Most gun shot victims (including cops) go to Cook County Hospital. They have the best trauma center in the city. But that is also the "welfare" hospital. You dont have to worry about paying your bill there. 

You are correct but I imagine that they have some influence on where the ambulances take them. Im betting they all go to Cook County. 

Liability wise they would be in a world of shit if they turned people away they could handle.  I'm sure many ER doctors and nurses wouldn't put up with turning people away because of money.  Not every hospital has level 1 or 2 trauma capabilities.  

Trauma Center Levels

As mentioned above, Trauma categories vary from state to state.  Outlined below are common criteria for Trauma Centers verified by the ACS and also designated by states and municipalities.  Facilities are designated/verified as Adult and/or Pediatric Trauma Centers.  It is not uncommon for facilities to have different designations for each group (ie. a Trauma Center may be a Level I Adult facility and also a Level II Pediatric Facility).

Level I

Level I Trauma Center is a comprehensive regional resource that is a tertiary care facility central to the trauma system. A Level I Trauma Center is capable of providing total care for every aspect of injury – from prevention through rehabilitation.

Elements of Level I Trauma Centers Include: 

• 24-hour in-house coverage by general surgeons, and prompt availability of care in specialties such as orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery, anesthesiology, emergency medicine, radiology, internal medicine, plastic surgery, oral and maxillofacial, pediatric and critical care. 
  • Referral resource for communities in nearby regions.
  • Provides leadership in prevention, public education to surrounding communities.
  • Provides continuing education of the trauma team members.
  • Incorporates a comprehensive quality assessment program.
  • Operates an organized teaching and research effort to help direct new innovations in trauma care.
  • Program for substance abuse screening and patient intervention.
  • Meets minimum requirement for annual volume of severely injured patients.

Level II

A Level II Trauma Center is able to initiate definitive care for all injured patients.

Elements of Level II Trauma Centers Include:

• 24-hour immediate coverage by general surgeons, as well as coverage by the specialties of orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery, anesthesiology, emergency medicine, radiology and critical care. 
  • Tertiary care needs such as cardiac surgery, hemodialysis and microvascular surgery may be referred to a Level I Trauma Center. 
  • Provides trauma prevention and continuing education programs for staff. 

Level III

A Level III Trauma Center has demonstrated an ability to provide prompt assessment, resuscitation, surgery, intensive care and stabilization of injured patients and emergency operations.

Elements of Level III Trauma Centers Include: 

• 24-hour immediate coverage by emergency medicine physicians and the prompt availability of general surgeons and anesthesiologists. 
  • Incorporates a comprehensive quality assessment program
  • Has developed transfer agreements for patients requiring more comprehensive care at a Level I or Level II Trauma Center. 
  • Provides back-up care for rural and community hospitals.
  • Offers continued education of the nursing and allied health personnel or the trauma team. 
  • Involved with prevention efforts and must have an active outreach program for its referring communities. 

Level IV

A Level IV Trauma Center has demonstrated an ability to provide advanced trauma life support (ATLS) prior to transfer of patients to a higher level trauma center.  It provides evaluation, stabilization, and diagnostic capabilities for injured patients.

Elements of Level IV Trauma Centers Include:

• Basic emergency department facilities to implement ATLS protocols and 24-hour laboratory coverage.   Available trauma nurse(s) and physicians available upon patient arrival.
  • May provide surgery and critical-care services if available.  
  • Has developed transfer agreements for patients requiring more comprehensive care at a Level I or Level II Trauma Center. 
  • Involved with prevention efforts and must have an active outreach program for its referring communities. 

Level V

A Level V Trauma Center provides initial evaluation, stabilization and diagnostic capabilities and prepares patients for transfer to higher levels of care.

Elements of Level V Trauma Centers Include:

• Basic emergency department facilities to implement ATLS protocols 
  • Available trauma nurse(s) and physicians available upon patient arrival.
  • After-hours activation protocols if facility is not open 24-hours a day.
  • Has developed transfer agreements for patients requiring more comprehensive care at a Level I though III Trauma Centers. 

6 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Gang bangers get sent to cook, the good town folk end up at Christ in Oaklawn.

Cook must be the state hospital?  I know the state hospital where I used to live is where all the shooting victims went.  They had their own parking lot for police outside the emergency room.  Apparently, they were there enough investigating GSW's to warrant their own parking spots.

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Liability wise they would be in a world of shit if they turned people away they could handle.  I'm sure many ER doctors and nurses wouldn't put up with turning people away because of money.  Not every hospital has level 1 or 2 trauma capabilities.  

Trauma Center Levels

As mentioned above, Trauma categories vary from state to state.  Outlined below are common criteria for Trauma Centers verified by the ACS and also designated by states and municipalities.  Facilities are designated/verified as Adult and/or Pediatric Trauma Centers.  It is not uncommon for facilities to have different designations for each group (ie. a Trauma Center may be a Level I Adult facility and also a Level II Pediatric Facility).

Level I

Level I Trauma Center is a comprehensive regional resource that is a tertiary care facility central to the trauma system. A Level I Trauma Center is capable of providing total care for every aspect of injury – from prevention through rehabilitation.

Elements of Level I Trauma Centers Include: 

• 24-hour in-house coverage by general surgeons, and prompt availability of care in specialties such as orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery, anesthesiology, emergency medicine, radiology, internal medicine, plastic surgery, oral and maxillofacial, pediatric and critical care. 
  • Referral resource for communities in nearby regions.
  • Provides leadership in prevention, public education to surrounding communities.
  • Provides continuing education of the trauma team members.
  • Operates an organized teaching and research effort to help direct new innovations in trauma care.
  • Program for substance abuse screening and patient intervention.
  • Meets minimum requirement for annual volume of severely injured patients.

Level II

A Level II Trauma Center is able to initiate definitive care for all injured patients.

Elements of Level II Trauma Centers Include:

• 24-hour immediate coverage by general surgeons, as well as coverage by the specialties of orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery, anesthesiology, emergency medicine, radiology and critical care. 
  • Tertiary care needs such as cardiac surgery, hemodialysis and microvascular surgery may be referred to a Level I Trauma Center. 
  • Provides trauma prevention and continuing education programs for staff. 

Level III

A Level III Trauma Center has demonstrated an ability to provide prompt assessment, resuscitation, surgery, intensive care and stabilization of injured patients and emergency operations.

Elements of Level III Trauma Centers Include: 

• 24-hour immediate coverage by emergency medicine physicians and the prompt availability of general surgeons and anesthesiologists. 
  • Provides back-up care for rural and community hospitals.
  • Offers continued education of the nursing and allied health personnel or the trauma team. 

Level IV

A Level IV Trauma Center has demonstrated an ability to provide advanced trauma life support (ATLS) prior to transfer of patients to a higher level trauma center.  It provides evaluation, stabilization, and diagnostic capabilities for injured patients.

Elements of Level IV Trauma Centers Include:

• Basic emergency department facilities to implement ATLS protocols and 24-hour laboratory coverage.   Available trauma nurse(s) and physicians available upon patient arrival.

Level V

A Level V Trauma Center provides initial evaluation, stabilization and diagnostic capabilities and prepares patients for transfer to higher levels of care.

Elements of Level V Trauma Centers Include:

• Basic emergency department facilities to implement ATLS protocols 
  • Available trauma nurse(s) and physicians available upon patient arrival.
  • After-hours activation protocols if facility is not open 24-hours a day.
  • Has developed transfer agreements for patients requiring more comprehensive care at a Level I though III Trauma Centers. 

This is Chicago brah, they go to county...

38 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Gang bangers get sent to cook, the good town folk end up at Christ in Oaklawn.

Yep. Or Loyola. I had a buddy get air lifted from the job site to Loyola

30 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Cook must be the state hospital?  I know the state hospital where I used to live is where all the shooting victims went.  They had their own parking lot for police outside the emergency room.  Apparently, they were there enough investigating GSW's to warrant their own parking spots.

County hospital. Its free for poor folks. 

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

This is Chicago brah, they go to county...

Yep. Or Loyola. I had a buddy get air lifted from the job site to Loyola

County hospital. Its free for poor folks. 

Can't say I really feel sorry for the bangers.   Too many innocent people being killed as collateral damage though.  

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Can't say I really feel sorry for the bangers.   Too many innocent people being killed as collateral damage though.  

Hey, like I said county has the best trauma center in the city. If a cop gets shot they WANT to go to county. For anything else they will go to Rush or Christ.

Just now, Anler said:

Hey, like I said county has the best trauma center in the city. If a cop gets shot they WANT to go to county. For anything else they will go to Rush or Christ.

Well its good to see Rahm and Barack doing so much for their city. :lol:  

Just now, Highmark said:

Well its good to see Rahm and Barack doing so much for their city. :lol:  

Its always been that way. Obama and Rahm didnt do shit.