Check your account email address ×

This is why I’m not paying my student loans

Just now, ActionfigureJoe said:

For many it’s about either paying rent, eating, or paying the loans. 

how many of these 'poor' former students have car, home and credit cards payments?  how many work in the public sector and will also get guaranteed pay increases and a taxpayer funded pension?  did someone hold a gun to their head when they agreed to the terms of the student loans? 

fuck... them

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

how many of these 'poor' former students have car, home and credit cards payments?  how many work in the public sector and will also get guaranteed pay increases and a taxpayer funded pension?  did someone hold a gun to their head when they agreed to the terms of the student loans? 

fuck... them

I say fuck the banks, Wall Street, and businesses that got bailed out. It’s time to share that wealth. Everyone here benefitted from those bailouts one way or another. To do otherwise is hypocritical. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I say fuck the banks, Wall Street, and businesses that got bailed out. It’s time to share that wealth. Everyone here benefitted from those bailouts one way or another. To do otherwise is hypocritical. 

I would agree, but doubt it Will ever happen.  Those big money types “back east “ buy their protection for as long as they can

Should have been making some kind of payment every month that you were not required to. You signed the papers, you are not entitled to hand this off to the rest of the taxpayers. 

• Like 4

• Platinum Contributing Member

If you get a degree you will most likely make more money then if you did not. There is nothing wrong with using some of that " more money" to pay for the degree that allows you to earn it.

That being said , it should be tax deductable.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Mr. Obama and others who were involved often say that they were all ultimately paid back by the companies that benefited from the funds. ProPublica, the nonprofit investigative news organization, calculated in 2019 that after repayments the federal government actually made a profit of $109 billion.

3 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

If you get a degree you will most likely make more money then if you did not. There is nothing wrong with using some of that " more money" to pay for the degree that allows you to earn it.

it is tax deductible in many cases.   it doesn't even require itemization so you don't have to make a choice of whihc way to go as for most standard works better.  

• Thanks 1

Student loans can be discharged in a bankruptcy only in extreme cases. I’ve said from the beginning that anyone with a student loan should be able to discharge this through bankruptcy and then suffer the financial consequences that follow. 

1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Student loans can be discharged in a bankruptcy only in extreme cases. I’ve said from the beginning that anyone with a student loan should be able to discharge this through bankruptcy and then suffer the financial consequences that follow. 

I beleive that has been changed and they can now.

15 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

sure, fine... fuck them too.  

willing to pay for my neighbors home loan too?   I'm considering a new sled... willing to pay for that as well?

10 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I would agree, but doubt it Will ever happen.  Those big money types “back east “ buy their protection for as long as they can

it's called owning the politicians and having a convenient relationship with the federal reserve 

8 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

Should have been making some kind of payment every month that you were not required to. You signed the papers, you are not entitled to hand this off to the rest of the taxpayers. 

can't believe I had to 'like' something you posted 

7 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

why should some poor sclub who works in the turd mine who didn't go to college have to contribute to pay for the education of his junior executive boss?   Hypothetically 

that's some flawed fuckin logic right?  

2 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

as long as you are good with credit card rates on student loans that is fine.  it would destroy the colleges to lose that moneyt which would be a good thing IMO

What is behind the perception that student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy? It is true that it can be more difficult to discharge many student loans than other types of unsecured debt; the Bankruptcy Code provides a more difficult test for relief (a showing of “undue hardship”) and an extra step in the process (an “adversary proceeding,” essentially a lawsuit within the bankruptcy). However, some borrowers may not realize that discharge is still possible even under that standard and extra step.

Importantly, some loans that borrowers may think of as “private student loans” are not subject to that standard and extra step. Instead, some private loans for educational purposes can be discharged in a normal bankruptcy proceeding, just like most other consumer debts.

I don’t think student loans should be forgiven but I do think that college and student loans are a government cash grab scam. Look how many government/public services positions require a degree for no reason. 20 years ago the only requirement to be a cop was being picked on in high school, now you have to have been picked on in high school and have a bachelors degree.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Palu49 said:

I don’t think student loans should be forgiven but I do think that college and student loans are a government cash grab scam. Look how many government/public services positions require a degree for no reason. 20 years ago the only requirement to be a cop was being picked on in high school, now you have to have been picked on in high school and have a bachelors degree.

are you here for a 'free' snowmobile as well?  :lol:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

are you here for a 'free' snowmobile as well?  :lol:

Government subsidized snowmobiles is something I could get behind, fuck college unless you’re gonna be a doctor or a lawyer though.

The first problem is that many high school students have fairy dust sprinkled on them by their guidance counselors. "You have to go college to be successful" they say. My son and us spent $160k on a college education and he earned a masters degree in drinking and chasing women. Another valuable lesson was the lies that the college counselors would tell you about job placement after you get the degree. More bullshit. Too many kids get suckered into the lies that they're told by educational types and suffer for it. Sure, there are success stories but few and far between. He got into a sales job that, with busting his ass and not having anything to do with his degree, paid off his loan of 70k 2 years after he graduated. Didn't come easy but he did it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

The first problem is that many high school students have fairy dust sprinkled on them by their guidance counselors. "You have to go college to be successful" they say. My son and us spent $160k on a college education and he earned a masters degree in drinking and chasing women. Another valuable lesson was the lies that the college counselors would tell you about job placement after you get the degree. More bullshit. Too many kids get suckered into the lies that they're told by educational types and suffer for it. Sure, there are success stories but few and far between. He got into a sales job that, with busting his ass and not having anything to do with his degree, paid off his loan of 70k 2 years after he graduated. Didn't come easy but he did it. 

It seems as though the shine is getting knocked off of college education. There’s a nice resurgence of trades. 

10 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

It seems as though the shine is getting knocked off of college education. There’s a nice resurgence of trades. 

For sure, He and I talked about that today. Told me about a friend of his that did his time being the bitch for an electrician, got his journeymans and struck out on his own. Doesn't need to do the big corporate jobs as there's a tremendous need for "little" jobs. Netted almost 250k last year and wasn't fucking his customers.

So for the responsible people that paid off their student loan like myself receive a rebate?  

They made the choice to take the loan out and knew the condition of the loan.  Now be responsible and pay it off.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Palu49 said:

Government subsidized snowmobiles is something I could get behind, fuck college unless you’re gonna be a doctor or a lawyer though.

would that include Canadian made snowmobiles?  :lol:

buy an Arctic Cat and your clutch might kill you

buy a Polaris and it might start on fire

15 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

would that include Canadian made snowmobiles?  :lol:

buy an Arctic Cat and your clutch might kill you

buy a Polaris and it might start on fire

I don’t even know if I’d take a Canadian snowmobile for free.

On the topic of snowmobiles, government and money American public entities should not own Canadian snowmobiles and it pisses me off when I see it.

It's just plain stupid to think that the taxpayer should be on the hook for student loans.  Of course, it's just another liberal fantasy that will get pushed through in order to get votes and in the end it teaches zero self-responsibility.  And we wonder why this country lives in debt, it is being taught and rewarded constantly by the career politicians in washington.