Check your account email address ×

Polaris ProStar S4

A work buddy of mine was saying how his wife is going to be due for a new sled, and he was talking about the ProStar S4 sleds.  His wife is currently on a 2021 Indy (non Matryx), but she really likes the ride of his VR1.  He feels like the 4-stroke is the better option for her, and I can't say I blame him for that logic.  The 4-stroke sleds came in late last year so I'm not sure how much seat time anyone really had on them, but I'd be curious if anyone has ... and what they thought.  For my buddy's wife, I'd think this sled would be damn near perfect since she doesn't venture off trail and when they ride together they ride at a pretty leisurely pace.  Probably a long shot in looking for feedback, but who knows - maybe someone had a chance to ride one.

I have not ridden an S4- so I am curious just like you are, and would also consider it down the road for my wife. 

General media feedback is positive- but that is what they get paid to do and praise the products of their advertisers. 

There seems to be some really good deals (it's all relative) out there right now on the Polaris S4. The same draw backs and benefits exist regardless of what brand 4 stroke it is. Why does he feel that a heavier S4 would be better for her versus something like the Indy SP? The SP should at least be $2000+ cheaper?

If she likes the feel of the VR-1, then she probably liked the responsiveness. My thought is that the S4 would be apples & oranges. 

12 minutes ago, Ziemann said:

I have not ridden an S4- so I am curious just like you are, and would also consider it down the road for my wife. 

General media feedback is positive- but that is what they get paid to do and praise the products of their advertisers. 

There seems to be some really good deals (it's all relative) out there right now on the Polaris S4. The same draw backs and benefits exist regardless of what brand 4 stroke it is. Why does he feel that a heavier S4 would be better for her versus something like the Indy SP? The SP should at least be $2000+ cheaper?

If she likes the feel of the VR-1, then she probably liked the responsiveness. My thought is that the S4 would be apples & oranges. 

Based on what he shared with me, I think the prices out there right now are pretty enticing.  That's more than likely the main reason, and the fact the S4 is in the Matryx chassis.  I haven't looked at pricing so I don't know for sure how the S4 compares to the Indy SP but I think a lot of the allure of the S4 is that it's NOT the older chassis.  Like you mentioned, I kinda take the media feedback with a grain of salt and hope to hear some first hand reports from fellow sled heads here. :bc:

We had a demo last year and put on about 200 miles with me 20 miles and wife the rest.  I was really surprised that the sled didn't feel like a heavy 4 stroke and is well balanced.  The plan was for me to ride it because it came in late and my dealer was looking to put some miles on it but after my wife rode it she preferred that over a 2022 XCR.  Think the added weight and centrally balanced it held the trail better where she didn't have to do any leaning or body input for it to handle in the corners.

It has good low and mid range speed but tops out mid to low 70's which was fine for my wife.  The electric throttle is very easy to work which was a plus for her but takes a little getting use to.  There is a split second delay when you take off but after riding you get use to it.  Overall it reminded me of a 600 sled without the top end speed.  It does not feel like a heavy 4 stroke.  If you get it stuck I'm sure it would.

My wife wanted to get one for her but I hand my sleds down to her for the 2nd year and occasionally ride it so I overruled that.

20230310_094943.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Doug said:

We had a demo last year and put on about 200 miles with me 20 miles and wife the rest.  I was really surprised that the sled didn't feel like a heavy 4 stroke and is well balanced.  The plan was for me to ride it because it came in late and my dealer was looking to put some miles on it but after my wife rode it she preferred that over a 2022 XCR.  Think the added weight and centrally balanced it held the trail better where she didn't have to do any leaning or body input for it to handle in the corners.

It has good low and mid range speed but tops out mid to low 70's which was fine for my wife.  The electric throttle is very easy to work which was a plus for her but takes a little getting use to.  There is a split second delay when you take off but after riding you get use to it.  Overall it reminded me of a 600 sled without the top end speed.  It does not feel like a heavy 4 stroke.  If you get it stuck I'm sure it would.

My wife wanted to get one for her but I hand my sleds down to her for the 2nd year and occasionally ride it so I overruled that.

Awesome - thanks Doug :bc:  I'm actually gonna forward this to my buddy so he can read it for himself.

• Like 1

I'm still hung up on the S4 being barely 100 hp?? for $14,200 Versus the Indy SP 650 Matryx which is 130+ hp (and has outstanding performance) for at least $1,000 less? 

We haven't even compared weights.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ziemann said:

I'm still hung up on the S4 being barely 100 hp?? for $14,200 Versus the Indy SP 650 Matryx which is 130+ hp (and has outstanding performance) for at least $1,000 less? 

Maybe if they would turbo it, one would have to think that is the long term plan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mag6240 said:

Maybe if they would turbo it, one would have to think that is the long term plan.

Yep- then charge $20,000 for it. :-P

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Ziemann said:

Well, let me just say ... a couple grand isn't a show stopper for my buddy.  But I do hear what you're saying with the price vs. weight / performance.  I think his wife is pretty content though with a 100hp sled that handles well, even if it only tops out around 70mph.  My guess is, she rarely sees those speeds anyway, even on the lakes.

• Like 1

Since Yamaha went main stream with the RX-1 twenty years ago, we've had and will continue to have the same debate. 

It is tough for me to be objective. I've only owned one 4 stroke. I bought my wife a Cat ZR 3000 in 2017......and she'll never let me forget it. I ended up riding that steaming pile of shit because she refused to. 

The S4 is obviously a completely different animal and about 30-40 hp more than the Cat ZR 3000 was. 

11 minutes ago, Ziemann said:

Since Yamaha went main stream with the RX-1 twenty years ago, we've had and will continue to have the same debate. 

It is tough for me to be objective. I've only owned one 4 stroke. I bought my wife a Cat ZR 3000 in 2017......and she'll never let me forget it. I ended up riding that steaming pile of shit because she refused to. 

The S4 is obviously a completely different animal and about 30-40 hp more than the Cat ZR 3000 was. 

For my wife it would work out great.  For me no.  If your a semi aggressive or aggressive rider that weight has to show up somewhere.  Performance wise I need something with good pull over 75 MPH and by adding a turbo which will probably come with in intercooler just adds weight and complexity.  I'm good with a N/A  850 or 900 next year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ziemann said:

Nah- I'm talking the Indy SP 650 in the Matryx chassis versus what was in the Axys (600) chassis. I'd think that you could pick one up in the $12,500 range brand new right now.

https://www.polaris.com/en-us/snowmobiles/indy/indy-sp/

You still on Poo?  No CatyLiss fer ya?

I should talk.....I went full gay.

IMG_1392.jpg

3 hours ago, Bontz said:

A work buddy of mine was saying how his wife is going to be due for a new sled, and he was talking about the ProStar S4 sleds.  His wife is currently on a 2021 Indy (non Matryx), but she really likes the ride of his VR1.  He feels like the 4-stroke is the better option for her, and I can't say I blame him for that logic.  The 4-stroke sleds came in late last year so I'm not sure how much seat time anyone really had on them, but I'd be curious if anyone has ... and what they thought.  For my buddy's wife, I'd think this sled would be damn near perfect since she doesn't venture off trail and when they ride together they ride at a pretty leisurely pace.  Probably a long shot in looking for feedback, but who knows - maybe someone had a chance to ride one.

cant believe you didnt suggest a F7

21 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

You still on Poo?  No CatyLiss fer ya?

I should talk.....I went full gay.

IMG_1392.jpg

next youll be trading in the crocs for a set of hey dudes

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

next youll be trading in the crocs for a set of hey dudes

Hey....I only want to pitch.  I ain't catchin'!!!!

:lol: 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

Well, we did discuss that option but his wife will squash the throttle on occasion and we both agreed we wouldn't want her to go 133mph on the legendary F7!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bontz said:

Well, let me just say ... a couple grand isn't a show stopper for my buddy.  But I do hear what you're saying with the price vs. weight / performance.  I think his wife is pretty content though with a 100hp sled that handles well, even if it only tops out around 70mph.  My guess is, she rarely sees those speeds anyway, even on the lakes.

local dealer going to let me take one for the weekend so a few of us can try out when we get some snow!!Probably take it up to portage later this season?

Definitely would need turbo before id look at one someday?That gas and go starting to look better as years go by.I could see one as a retirement sled for long backpack trips?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, X2700 said:

local dealer going to let me take one for the weekend so a few of us can try out when we get some snow!!Probably take it up to portage later this season?

Definitely would need turbo before id look at one someday?That gas and go starting to look better as years go by.I could see one as a retirement sled for long backpack trips?

I haven't stopped in at M&M lately, but one of my buds who has the place up near Namakagon stopped at NextGen last week on his way up north.  He had a gift certificate and decided to spend part of it on a gallon of VES Extreme.  Cost him $78!!  So yeah, the idea of gas & go isn't too bad of an idea if performance isn't compromised too badly.

38 minutes ago, X2700 said:

2 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I haven't stopped in at M&M lately, but one of my buds who has the place up near Namakagon stopped at NextGen last week on his way up north.  He had a gift certificate and decided to spend part of it on a gallon of VES Extreme.  Cost him $78!!  So yeah, the idea of gas & go isn't too bad of an idea if performance isn't compromised too badly.

If you ride with the guys you'll miss the top end performance.  Even in retirement :good:  Guy in our group had a 900 ace and is now back on a 850.  Polaris 4st turbo I'd have to ride one before I buy one.  For my wife would be good for me not yet,

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Doug said:

If you ride with the guys you'll miss the top end performance.  Even in retirement :good:  Guy in our group had a 900 ace and is now back on a 850.  Polaris 4st turbo I'd have to ride one before I buy one.  For my wife would be good for me not yet,

Your right I’m sure I’d have to stay with 2stroke but maybe have 4stroke for backup and days were just racking up the miles!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yup, how you been?  :bc: 

Been good!

ready to head your way if this weather straightens out!

actually making plans to sneak up end of next week!!

have to get you out!!