Check your account email address ×

Polycarbonate repair... (ugh)

Forgot I broke a tab in my mid height w/s last year so I put one of the three XC sized ones from the collection on for now.  Have one brand new mid left I'm saving so my thinking to fix this one is to make a small aluminum, plastic or rubber plate to match the old one and either use tiny screws/nuts or rivet it together.  I also have another mid in the attic which has a the front tab broken off (caught the bottom edge of the clam) to salvage... as these are NLA and the best screens to use from my experience.  

SO... any thoughts or suggestions from those who have successfully fixed one as I don't do shit with zip ties or super glue.  

IMG_20240101_133521647.jpg

IMG_20240101_135618419.jpg

IMG_20240101_135657155.jpg

IMG_20240101_135704930.jpg

IMG_20240101_141504456.jpg

I still see them come up for sale, there was one recently for a decent price.  

I broke a side tab off mine and it didn't affect anything and I ran it that way for a couple years, I think it was still held on with the o-rings too, can't remember exactly.

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

yup... 

am looking into making a mold to make them in carbon, since you know who doesn't want to sell them any longer

call sportech and see if they will make any for you.  They prob made the originals for ac, they make the procross accy shields.  Unless you believe jimwit, and think textron makes everything for the entire sled in TRF

Edited by krom

1 hour ago, krom said:

call sportech and see if they will make any for you.  They prob made the originals for ac, they make the procross accy shields.  Unless you believe jimwit, and think textron makes everything for the entire sled in TRF

Dipshit! All I said is older sleds are running out of parts. But you know this. Fuck, you need to be eliminated from here!

• Gold Member
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Forgot I broke a tab in my mid height w/s last year so I put one of the three XC sized ones from the collection on for now.  Have one brand new mid left I'm saving so my thinking to fix this one is to make a small aluminum, plastic or rubber plate to match the old one and either use tiny screws/nuts or rivet it together.  I also have another mid in the attic which has a the front tab broken off (caught the bottom edge of the clam) to salvage... as these are NLA and the best screens to use from my experience.  

SO... any thoughts or suggestions from those who have successfully fixed one as I don't do shit with zip ties or super glue.  

IMG_20240101_133521647.jpg

IMG_20240101_135618419.jpg

IMG_20240101_135657155.jpg

IMG_20240101_135704930.jpg

IMG_20240101_141504456.jpg

No don’t use aluminum and screws or whatever contraption you’re thinking. You want a magna stitcher it’s basically melts little zig zag wires into the panel connecting the cracks. After that i’d plastic weld over the stitches. The magna stitcher is basically just reinforcement for the crack. I’ve never done a windshield but I’ve repaired tons of plastic crap on cars. They are kinda pricey for a one time use thing but I bet a body shop would help you out if you asked.  

edit: the staples themselves are pretty cheap I wonder if you could just use vice grips to hold them and heat them with a propane torch to get them to melt into the windshield 🤷‍♂️ might be worth a shot before riveting and screwing pieces of metal.

IMG_4821.jpeg.cfa10701ac425b40787ac3d6031a06ea.jpegIMG_4820.jpeg.f0a39fd8eb557e96561409d00f2f0b72.jpeg

Edited by 800renegaderider
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

No don’t use aluminum and screws or whatever contraption you’re thinking. You want a magna stitcher it’s basically melts little zig zag wires into the panel connecting the cracks. After that i’d plastic weld over the stitches. The magna stitcher is basically just reinforcement for the crack. I’ve never done a windshield but I’ve repaired tons of plastic crap on cars. They are kinda pricey for a one time use thing but I bet a body shop would help you out if you asked.  

edit: the staples themselves are pretty cheap I wonder if you could just use vice grips to hold them and heat them with a propane torch to get them to melt into the windshield 🤷‍♂️ might be worth a shot before riveting and screwing pieces of metal.

IMG_4821.jpeg.cfa10701ac425b40787ac3d6031a06ea.jpegIMG_4820.jpeg.f0a39fd8eb557e96561409d00f2f0b72.jpeg

familiar with plastic welders and the process.  there's not enough material to work with for a stitch.  the two tabs on the side are a weak point and poorly thought out point of attachment on a good windshield.  @mnstangis correct that it's still useable and the orings behind the tabs still holds it in and down.  I just don't like broken bits and since you can't get them and people still seem to want them... 

if it works out maybe I could make some better looking Catalyst shields next... :lol:

• Like 1

remembered I had another one in the attic today at work and dragged it down for analysis.  the only realistic two failures in the design lie within the mounting.  these are drape formed over a mold (most likely) and the biggest shortcoming of this material is uniform thickness where the mounting tabs are and the thickness/material around them.  even looking at a few other relics in the collection most all breaks are within an area where a mechanical attachment occurs.  in composite form one can strengthen and make these areas and the stress load less intense by adding layers of material.  fwiw I go additional steps and rubber isolation mount mine... which still breaks.  

maybe I'll start working on a mold with some enhancements but maintain the overall shape and aerodynamics... since we can't actually ride right now.  :(

IMG_20240102_183601614.jpg

IMG_20240102_183610272.jpg

IMG_20240102_183623036.jpg

IMG_20240102_183638779.jpg

IMG_20240102_183550317.jpg

IMG_20240102_183725038.jpg

IMG_20240102_183756777.jpg

IMG_20240102_183806779.jpg

• Gold Member
18 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

remembered I had another one in the attic today at work and dragged it down for analysis.  the only realistic two failures in the design lie within the mounting.  these are drape formed over a mold (most likely) and the biggest shortcoming of this material is uniform thickness where the mounting tabs are and the thickness/material around them.  even looking at a few other relics in the collection most all breaks are within an area where a mechanical attachment occurs.  in composite form one can strengthen and make these areas and the stress load less intense by adding layers of material.  fwiw I go additional steps and rubber isolation mount mine... which still breaks.  

maybe I'll start working on a mold with some enhancements but maintain the overall shape and aerodynamics... since we can't actually ride right now.  :(

IMG_20240102_183601614.jpg

IMG_20240102_183610272.jpg

IMG_20240102_183623036.jpg

IMG_20240102_183638779.jpg

IMG_20240102_183550317.jpg

IMG_20240102_183725038.jpg

IMG_20240102_183756777.jpg

IMG_20240102_183806779.jpg

That first pic makes it look like it be plenty thick enough to sink a zig zag staple in and then add a nice thick coat of material over the area with the plastic welder. I was also thinking I’ve seen people melt in tiny little wire mesh strips into plastic pieces maybe that be little better just melt it in enough to get it stuck in and smear a bunch of new material over the top. I’ve never tried the mesh stuff though so I can’t say how good that work vs staples. Seems like it needs better dampening bushings in that area 🤷‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, 800renegaderider said:

That first pic makes it look like it be plenty thick enough to sink a zig zag staple in and then add a nice thick coat of material over the area with the plastic welder. I was also thinking I’ve seen people melt in tiny little wire mesh strips into plastic pieces maybe that be little better just melt it in enough to get it stuck in and smear a bunch of new material over the top. I’ve never tried the mesh stuff though so I can’t say how good that work vs staples. Seems like it needs better dampening bushings in that area 🤷‍♂️ 

honestly, I'm pretty much done dealing with it.  will likely make a mold, lay a few up, see how it goes and then... :dunno:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

honestly, I'm pretty much done dealing with it.  will likely make a mold, lay a few up, see how it goes and then... :dunno:

heat it up with a bic cig lighter and shove the broken tab back on. Good as new 

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Not greg b said:

heat it up with a bic cig lighter and shove the broken tab back on. Good as new 

Better option is fill the mount area with silicone shove the windshield on and list for sale “mint needs nothing one owner”

16 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

You should see if 213 parts will do a run of windows for you. They just came out with some for the nytro 

It's crazy the amount of stuff he makes these days. It doesn't seem that long ago when he was playing with making his own headlight covers.

3 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

It's crazy the amount of stuff he makes these days. It doesn't seem that long ago when he was playing with making his own headlight covers.

I posted on his page and he said the sp500 is on the list. I did c2c dirty work for him. 

• Like 1

Just now, Not greg b said:

I posted on his page and he said the sp500 is on the list. I did c2c dirty work for him. 

You will be rewarded with a PBR tallboy.