Check your account email address ×

Any diesel tractor guys in here ?

2 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

I run howes and threw a bottle of this shit in it too. 

dcl.jpg

I have run that too, but my truck was running so shitty,, took forever to start then ran like a gas engine with a stuck choke for few minutes would stall unless I kept it revving then would run some better. Put a heavy dose of the BG in it and after about 80 miles it cleared up and still runs great.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Generator in my boat is a 3 cyl diesel Yanmar.  With diesels its always critical to have clean fuel and air filters, that usually explains the smoke.  Diesel is shitty dirty fuel.  One bad fill can fuck the filters up :bc: 

I’d start there, good advice. 

if that’s not it the pump may have an issue.

Neal

• Like 1

15 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

No neither did. Im thinking something is fucked up with 1025 , Glow plugs? it is only 1-1/2 hp larger and burns a shit ton more fuel.

Glow plugs only come into the equation on cold start-up. Definitely not the issue. I,m thinking leaking injectors. If it is still under warranty, take it back to the dealer, and hopefully they have a decent tech that knows how to troubleshoot and finds the root cause of the issue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Glow plugs only come into the equation on cold start-up. Definitely not the issue. I,m thinking leaking injectors. If it is still under warranty, take it back to the dealer, and hopefully they have a decent tech that knows how to troubleshoot and finds the root cause of the issue.

True, and not a good thing to keep ignoring.  Washing cylinder walls with raw fuel while running is not good for lubrication.  

Down here the Mennonite shops  are good on these yanmar engines.  And they’re hourly rates are half or less than common dealers.  And better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hayward said:

True, and not a good thing to keep ignoring.  Washing cylinder walls with raw fuel while running is not good for lubrication.  

Down here the Mennonite shops  are good on these yanmar engines.  And they’re hourly rates are half or less than common dealers.  And better.

There is a Mennonite farm near us had some tractor tires delivered by another Mennonite from south of us, he had them in the back of a old Ford ranger pickup the ass of that thing was dragging the ground, but it was converted to a diesel engine seemed to be turned up as he was rolling coal when he left.

29 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

There is a Mennonite farm near us had some tractor tires delivered by another Mennonite from south of us, he had them in the back of a old Ford ranger pickup the ass of that thing was dragging the ground, but it was converted to a diesel engine seemed to be turned up as he was rolling coal when he left.

A shop south of here, Mennonites, threw a yanmar in a chevy s10 15 years ago, but I can't remember what they said the mpg was.  It was impressive, I know that.  And reliable.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

I changed the air filters and put in some diesel clean.

It is much better but still kinda gross. 

Loser salesman who I bought it from never changed the warrenty from last owner to me. So my local shop is working on that. Then I will prob bite the bullet and drop it of.

• Gold Member

That Power Service Diesel Kleen is good stuff.  Give that a shot.  Or maybe you got algea in the tank.  Then use this stuff. Local trucking outfit with 400 semis orders that diesel kleen by the pallet!!  

download (2).jpg

Edited by poopooforme
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, poopooforme said:

That Power Service Diesel Kleen is good stuff.  Give that a shot.  Or maybe you got algea in the tank.  Then use this stuff. Local trucking outfit with 400 semis orders that diesel kleen by the pallet!!  

download (2).jpg

This is actualy what I threw in today

dclea.jpg

27 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

This is actualy what I threw in today

dclea.jpg

Never saw that product.  So what is the idea if it breaks down crap in the tank, and loosens crud and what not up, is the filter system fine enough to trap it all before it ends up in the injectors?

1 hour ago, hayward said:

Never saw that product.  So what is the idea if it breaks down crap in the tank, and loosens crud and what not up, is the filter system fine enough to trap it all before it ends up in the injectors?

I beleive so. There are 2 fuel filters.

3 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Then im guessing you dont have a bad injector, assuming the machine only has such little amount of hours on it, and modern day fine screen filters.  Be interesting to hear what ends up  cleaning it up eventually. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hayward said:

Then im guessing you dont have a bad injector, assuming the machine only has such little amount of hours on it, and modern day fine screen filters.  Be interesting to hear what ends up  cleaning it up eventually. 

Praying like a bastard that it doesn't end up being a fuse.

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

My boat motors each have 4 filters.  Should give you an idea of the steps that mfgs take to keep the motors running good.  2 primary and 2 secondary.  First place I'd start with is replacing both of them.

8 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

My boat motors each have 4 filters.  Should give you an idea of the steps that mfgs take to keep the motors running good.  2 primary and 2 secondary.  First place I'd start with is replacing both of them.

I did that already a few weekd back. That was my #1 step.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

I did that already a few weekd back. That was my #1 step.

Sorry, guess I missed that lol.  Any vent hoses kinked/clogged? 

I'm having an issue with my JD X730 for some reason too.  Its got a liquid cooled Kawasaki twin gas motor, 25 hp.  For some reason, whenever I go down hill for more than a few seconds, it starts cutting out, and blowing black smoke.  I did the fuel and air filters as well, didn't help.  Can't find anything else that might cause it, and access to the fuel tank/pump/regulator of course is a nightmare.  Each one of those parts is around 250 bucks, and I'd rather not tear into it and start throwing parts at without an understanding of wtf might be going on.

15338744_10211738594810360_5766787919859793809_n.thumb.jpg.8939fa070161a6df71ad2b633b363c5f.jpg

Edited by DriftBusta

On 12/13/2023 at 4:45 PM, steve from amherst said:

No neither did. Im thinking something is fucked up with 1025 , Glow plugs? it is only 1-1/2 hp larger and burns a shit ton more fuel.

Glow plugs are only for starting sounds like it’s getting too much fuel

Is it still old school mechanical injection pump?

Dirty fuel plays a part of what goes out the stack...

Dirty plugged or worn out injectors make black smoke 

A distributor pump timing can make it rich & smoke...

A worn &:leaking pump will affect the emissions.

Your on the right track with fuel cleaners.

• Like 1