Check your account email address ×

Brain trauma in kids linked to pedo tendencies later in life

Rod

12 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Nothing new. Brain trauma of any sort can result in impulsivity. 

Wife’s cousin got in a bad car accident and had a very bad concussion. She’s had bad impulse control issues ever since 

1 hour ago, Rod said:

Wife’s cousin got in a bad car accident and had a very bad concussion. She’s had bad impulse control issues ever since 

The alteration of their personality can be profound. Mainly frontal lobe/prefrontal cortex injuries are the cause. Prognosis is typically not good. Aggression, substance abuse, explosive personality issues, propensity toward violence. 

7 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

The alteration of their personality can be profound. Mainly frontal lobe/prefrontal cortex injuries are the cause. Prognosis is typically not good. Aggression, substance abuse, explosive personality issues, propensity toward violence. 

Yeah that’s exactly what she’s like now 

Might as well include soccer, lacross, baseball while we're at it.  I'd rather see better safety equipment than abandoning activities that have been really formative for millions of young kids.  My nephew got a partial football scholarship to play in college, and he concussed out before the season even started.  Other nephew has had multiple concussions playing soccer in college and had to quit.  Tough issue for parents for sure.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Having the meager amount of knowledge I have about neurology, I wouldn’t allow a son to play football. 

My son played/plays, been playing since he was 6 as a center. So he clashes with someone every play. And he is a great kid, never been in a fight and is extremely mild mannered. In his career he's been pulled twice for concussion protocol. Once when he was little like maybe 8 or 9 and once last year he hit a kid facemask to facemask..Not saying you're wrong or anything I definitely think hard hits to the head can cause issues, this is just what I've experienced. I definitely would not want him as a wide receiver or RB..he gets hit but the other guy is 2feet away from him..He's not getting hit at full speed or in a  not prepared situation to take that hit..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

My son played/plays, been playing since he was 6 as a center. So he clashes with someone every play. And he is a great kid, never been in a fight and is extremely mild mannered. In his career he's been pulled twice for concussion protocol. Once when he was little like maybe 8 or 9 and once last year he hit a kid facemask to facemask..Not saying you're wrong or anything I definitely think hard hits to the head can cause issues, this is just what I've experienced. I definitely would not want him as a wide receiver or RB..he gets hit but the other guy is 2feet away from him..He's not getting hit at full speed or in a  not prepared situation to take that hit..

I’m not suggesting a ban, but solid and accurate information about the risks is important. I understand that many sports carry risks. I see football to have highest risk factors due to the level of impact.