Check your account email address ×

EV range anxiety

BOHICA

• Platinum Contributing Member

:lmao:  Range anxiety.   Hardly a stellar report on EV's.   

However, after the EV is being used on a regular basis, range anxiety decreases steadily and eventually even vanishes from some owners, as per the report.

As per the survey, 78% of electric car owners report that feelings of range anxiety decrease the longer they drive–and learn more about–their cars. The data also shows that 76% of future EV owners worry about range, while almost 59% of current EV drivers report none.

With this being said, people who use their battery-powered cars to drive long distances have higher range anxiety than drivers who use their EVs for shorter trips, which is understandable. It’s one thing to drive 20-30 miles and then recharge at home and another thing to go hundreds of miles and need reliable chargers along the way.

20 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Appears it is only a problem amongst those that don’t have an EV and peaks at about a year or 2 before getting an EV.

https://insideevs.com/news/698486/how-range-anxiety-changes-after-buying-ev/

Curious what anxiety do ICE vehicles cause?

They love their EV's so much they drive them half as much.  :lol: Can't imagine getting in a vehicle and actually having anxiety of whether or not I can make it to my destination.   

Average EV Owner Drives Half as Many Miles as Other Drivers

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35498794/ev-owners-low-mileage-study/

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

They love their EV's so much they drive them half as much.  :lol: Can't imagine getting in a vehicle and actually having anxiety of whether or not I can make it to my destination.   

Average EV Owner Drives Half as Many Miles as Other Drivers

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35498794/ev-owners-low-mileage-study/

I think that has more to do with where they live, I would never get an EV for my home, at least where technology is now, but I almost pulled the trigger for an EV to leave at the house in the cities, lot's of good reasons too, but a big negative is the fact when I'm gone working it could sit for 2-3 months, that's something EV's don't like. and with 3 ICE vehicles all road trips would be done with them. Looking at EV range only a few could make the trip to my mother-in-law's without a stop for a charge in the winter, where an ICE could make it there and back. 

3 minutes ago, airflite1 said:

I think that has more to do with where they live, I would never get an EV for my home, at least where technology is now, but I almost pulled the trigger for an EV to leave at the house in the cities, lot's of good reasons too, but a big negative is the fact when I'm gone working it could sit for 2-3 months, that's something EV's don't like. and with 3 ICE vehicles all road trips would be done with them. Looking at EV range only a few could make the trip to my mother-in-law's without a stop for a charge in the winter, where an ICE could make it there and back. 

So the majority of people who own EV's live where trips are short and they still have anxiety.   :lol:  

EV's work great for some but are a long ways off working for the masses.  

FORD

EV business continues to lose billions of dollars

Ford dramatically scales back EV plant amid plummeting sales in blow to Biden's green energy goals

'This deal was a disaster from the start,' top Michigan Republican says

U.S. automaker Ford Motor Company is dramatically scaling back an electric vehicle (EV) battery plant under construction in Michigan as its EV business continues to lose billions of dollars.

In an announcement Tuesday, Ford said it would resume the Marshall, Michigan, project, but reduce its scope by more than 40% and the number of jobs it is projected to create by more than 30%. Ford, which has struggled to make a profit from its ongoing shift to EVs as sales decline and costs soar, added that it remained confident in the future viability of its EV business.

"While we remain bullish on our long-term strategy for electric vehicles, we are re-timing and resizing some investments," Ford said in a statement Tuesday. "As stated previously, we have been evaluating BlueOval Battery Park Michigan in Marshall."

"We are pleased to confirm we are moving ahead with the Marshall project, consistent with the Ford+ plan for growth and value creation," it continued. "However, we are right-sizing as we balance investment, growth, and profitability. The facility will now create more than 1,700 good-paying American jobs to produce a planned capacity of approximately 20 GWh."

Ford CEO Jim Farley announces at a press conference that Ford Motor Company will be partnering with the worlds largest battery company, a China-based company called Contemporary Amperex Technology, to create an electric-vehicle battery plant in Marshall, Michigan, on February 13, 2023 in Romulus, Michigan. Part of a multi-billion dollar investment, the battery plant will provide approximately 2,500 jobs. (Photo by Bill Pugliano/Getty Images)

Ford CEO Jim Farley announces at a press conference that his company will be partnering with China-based company Contemporary Amperex Technology to construct an electric-vehicle battery plant in Marshall, Michigan, on Feb. 13. (Bill Pugliano/Getty Images)

The automaker added that the facility is still expected to be Ford's first battery plant of its kind to enter operations when it is scheduled to open in 2026. The plant will, once it is operational, manufacture lithium iron phosphate batteries common in EVs.

Ford's decision to decrease the size of the factory comes less than a year after it first announced the project alongside Democratic Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. Ford pledged in February to invest $3.5 billion in the factory, create 2,500 "good-paying jobs" and have a gigawatt capacity of 35 gigawatt hours.

"Today’s generational investment by an iconic American company will uplift local families, small businesses, and the entire community and help our state continue leading the future of mobility and electrification," Whitmer said at the time. "Let’s continue bringing the supply chain of electric vehicles, chips and batteries home while creating thousands of good-paying jobs and revitalizing every region of our state."

The Whitmer administration also agreed to help fund the project with nearly $2 billion in direct subsidies and tax breaks. It is unclear if the state will lower its subsidy levels for the project in light of Tuesday's announcement. Whitmer's office didn't respond to a request for comment.

Gretchen Whitmer

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer speaks at a press conference where it was announced that Ford would develop an electric-vehicle battery plant in Marshall, Michigan. (Bill Pugliano/Getty Images)

"The bad deal the governor and Democrats negotiated for Michigan taxpayers just got a whole lot worse," Michigan state House Republican Leader Matt Hall said in a statement. "Even with Democrats’ premature push for electric vehicles and $1.8 billion in state incentives, Ford is cutting back the project and slashing job creation because most people just won’t buy unaffordable, inconvenient EVs."

"Gov. Whitmer was desperate to land a Ford plant after losing out to more economically competitive states, so she rammed through an expensive deal to get a handful of low-wage jobs," he added. 

"This deal was a disaster from the start, and now Ford is cutting job plans by 32%. If the original proposal misrepresented Ford’s plans, the hundreds of millions of dollars tied to job creation should be revoked under the contract. The governor must right-size state funding and ensure taxpayers aren’t left on the hook for her failure."

Ford projected earlier this year that its EV division was projected to lose a staggering $4.5 billion in 2023 alone despite higher revenues. And last month, the company reported a loss of $1.3 billion in its EV division during the third quarter, the period between July and September, which amounts to a $62,016 loss per EV sold in that time span.

38 minutes ago, Snake said:

2 trucks, 2 large SUVs and 1 coupe and my range anxiety don't kick in till I have gone about 375 miles...

So many of the EV cars I looked at were still under 300 mile range in optimum conditions, reading on EV forums it seems no one expects the range that manufactures claim, typically under Ideal conditions they seem to claim 15-20% less, another thing I recently found out you're income limited to qualify for the $7500 government money and that's only available if you lease the car, the more I dug in the more it pushed me back to an ICE car, I really did like the Lucid, great range, beautiful car and the lease was incredibly reasonable. The problem is they're as wide as my Raptor and our garage has an 8ft. door, so my wife would hate it. I'm back to finding something about the width of her CRV but something I enjoy driving. I've got an offer in on a Porsche Macan, but if that doesn't work out I'll look at EV's again. 

7 minutes ago, airflite1 said:

So many of the EV cars I looked at were still under 300 mile range in optimum conditions, reading on EV forums it seems no one expects the range that manufactures claim, typically under Ideal conditions they seem to claim 15-20% less, another thing I recently found out you're income limited to qualify for the $7500 government money and that's only available if you lease the car, the more I dug in the more it pushed me back to an ICE car, I really did like the Lucid, great range, beautiful car and the lease was incredibly reasonable. The problem is they're as wide as my Raptor and our garage has an 8ft. door, so my wife would hate it. I'm back to finding something about the width of her CRV but something I enjoy driving. I've got an offer in on a Porsche Macan, but if that doesn't work out I'll look at EV's again. 

I thought the lease part was for imported , and domestic qualified both ways?

Hell, if the Tesla weren't such a monstrous piece of shit I'd have a Plaid.  It can go basically 400mi on charge.  My daily has only been further from home once.  And more important than 0-60 times or the 1/4mi it has Nurburgring laptimes on US street tires within a second of these cars: Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4, Pagani Zona F Clubsport, Ferrari Enco, Nissan GT-R and more.  It is such a piece of crap though it is hard to swallow.

I'd own one for a second vehicle, maybe a daily around town car. That MB EQS I had for a day drove pretty sweet.  If they throw in the tax incentive, I have charging stations all over the place by me.  I wouldn't buy one to tow a trailer or because I wanted to go 0-20 in 1.9 seconds.  

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

I thought the lease part was for imported , and domestic qualified both ways?

Leasing avoids msrp and any individual income limits.  Has nothing to do with import or domestic.   As a business owns the leased vehicle and the business tax breaks are always more plentiful and lucrative in the US than are individuals credits or breaks. You could lease a multi million dollar Rimac Nevara and the leasing company gets the tax credit as they are a business and not an individual.  You buy that same car outright there is not tax benefits/credits.

For individuals that are looking at over msrp of $80k for suv or pickup and $50k for a car and/9or have an income above 150k single/300k married, depending on the terms and if the leasing company passes on the credit,  it might a better financial decision to lease and buyout