Check your account email address ×

Ski doo G5 chaincase least reliable drive built in the last 30 years

krom

3 hours ago, krom said:

how long is the tunnel going to stay that white??

Only reason I can imagine to make a change like that is if the time saved on the assy line by stuffing in an assembled chain case vastly outweighed the added cost of parts and warranty of the 2 piece shaft.

It's hyper silver.

The G5 chain case is the same as the G4. It was the driveshaft that was changed to make for easier / quicker track swaps. I'm on Dootalk all the time in the G4/G5 trail sled section. And I didn't see a single post about any failures on any trail sleds last season. And there was plenty of snow / miles racked up last year. All 2023 G5s came with the same new driveshaft including my 23 MXZ. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, nacapster said:

The G5 chain case is the same as the G4. It was the driveshaft that was changed to make for easier / quicker track swaps. I'm on Dootalk all the time in the G4/G5 trail sled section. And I didn't see a single post about any failures on any trail sleds last season. And there was plenty of snow / miles racked up last year. All 2023 G5s came with the same new driveshaft including my 23 MXZ. 

Guy in the video had quite a few pictures of failure...
FWIW you don't believe it was done for any reason other than to lower costs at the factory, do you???

Edited by krom

2 hours ago, krom said:

FWIW you don't believe it was done for any reason other than to lower costs at the factory, do you???

Yeah, pictures of mountain sleds…

One guy put 4,900 miles on his 23 XRS 850 and his held up just fine.

Like I said, all 23 G5s got the new design not just the mountain sleds and there wasn’t a single failure reported on Dootalk in the trail sled forum.

For 24 we now have the Turbo 850 mounted in a trail sled and most will probably be running tunes well north of 200 HP so I guess we’ll see how that goes. Worst case Doo could simply switch back to the old design. 

As for the cost, the new design adds pieces / parts so I would think it would be more expensive to produce??? 

5 hours ago, krom said:

dare I comment on the hollow drive shaft after the whole spindle thread?  :roflcrying:

10 hours ago, nacapster said:

Yeah, pictures of mountain sleds…

As for the cost, the new design adds pieces / parts so I would think it would be more expensive to produce??? 

No one at brp is going to spend a single penny developing and producing parts to make it easier to swap a track.

It's got to save $$ on paper before making it past the idea stage.

My bet is it allows them to fully assemble the chaincase at a supplier, or in a different area of the factory, then just slam it on the sled, instead of playing with all the finicky little pieces going down the line. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2023 at 5:14 AM, Kev144 said:

It's kind of funny remember seeing krom on hcs days probably 10+ years ago lapping artco nut sack and see he still is.  Some things never change :lol: 

That was then, no he’s extremely critical of Textron Cat, especially this year. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AK440 said:

It’s crazy to me that a company capable of building cool shit like this sucks so hard a running a snowmobile factory. 

https://apple.news/AoJsW-3GqTkS9s86QGvpzHw

290E5249-4A8C-44BC-910A-C549210525D8.png

Because they don’t give a shit about the snowmobiles or other side show companies. They probably do it for tax reasons 

20 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Because they don’t give a shit about the snowmobiles or other side show companies. They probably do it for tax reasons 

I think most guys believed Textron wanted Cat for the off-road line so they could bid on gov’t contracts that Polaris Defense keeps getting. Then they ran the off-road lineup into the ground. Tax breaks make the most sense out of anything. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AK440 said:

I think most guys believed Textron wanted Cat for the off-road line so they could bid on gov’t contracts that Polaris Defense keeps getting. Then they ran the off-road lineup into the ground. Tax breaks make the most sense out of anything. 

Textron buys sinking ship companies, guts them and gives them the boot when they are worthless to them. Cat at that time was a company running out of money because of bad management. They got cat for nothing and will probably sell it off soon. They didn’t buy arctic cat because of their off road line and they wanted to get into it. I have seen this many times with textron.  

• Like 2

Just now, Not greg b said:

Textron buys sinking ship companies, guts them and gives them the boot when they are worthless to them. Cat at that time was a company running out of money because of bad management. They got cat for nothing and will probably sell it off soon. They didn’t buy arctic cat because of their off road line and they wanted to get into it. I have seen this many times with textron.  

Being just there, I beg to differ. Lots of $$ being spent on upgrades. To many 1980 poo fans still around is my take.

46 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

Being just there, I beg to differ. Lots of $$ being spent on upgrades. To many 1980 poo fans still around is my take.

They upgrade it to make something for someone to buy. They aren’t producing enough product to be profitable 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Not greg b said:

They upgrade it to make something for someone to buy. They aren’t producing enough product to be profitable 

I'll again beg to differ. They built 8000 Yamaha's. Cat makes quite a bit more. 5500 additional for model year 2025. 

7 hours ago, Not greg b said:

I don't believe he fathoms how Textron makes money... because it sure as hell isn't by selling snowmobiles, SXS and ATVs. 

They're Gordon Gecko... 

8 hours ago, ZR6000RR said:

I'll again beg to differ. They built 8000 Yamaha's. Cat makes quite a bit more. 5500 additional for model year 2025. 

god you are an idiot..

look at market share and sleds sold..

Maybe over the  last 3 years combined they built that many yami..

Or last year all brands combined they built 8k sleds, but they haven't built 8k ac sleds since textron took over and went pre order only.

last year they built close to the same number of units for brp as for ac

Info from someone who gets paid to know....

Edited by krom
  • Like 1